• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

University Ban on Firearms

paintsnow

So, i know the state universities such as NAU, UofA and ASU do no permit guns on campus.

I also know that if your not a student or employee all they can do is trespass you if your carrying on campus because it is a policy not a law. Students on the other hand can be expelled or have other institutional consequences.

How is this legal?
Am i missing a statute somewhere granting the universities permission to do this? or should they fall under the laws directed at state departments such as the MVD, Etc?

I know that in Utah and Colorado lawsuits have been brought up and the policies changed to follow state laws, what is preventing this in Arizona?

GWbiker

ARS 13-2911

Subsection "D" is the "we can make any rule we want" clause.

Preemption laws don't apply.

The way to achieve Campus Carry is to explicitly remove the authority of governing boards to create their own rules regarding the carrying of "weapons."

Fred

Following should trump any governing boards authority....

From the Arizona Constitution:

26. Bearing arms

Section 26. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men.