• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My idea for new legislation in 2012 GA

Old Virginia Joe

I want to suggest that the state law on CHP (wish it was CWP---that's another suggestion!) be amended to require the counties to send the permit holder a renewal notice in the mail before the old permit expires, JUST LIKE DMV DOES for vehicle registration! Why can't they be done the same way? With computers, it cannot be that complicated. Why are we inconsistent on this? All together now, because it involves the hated firearm. But now WE are in control, so let's get this fixed, OK? Five years is a long time to get comfortable with the CHP, and easy to forget to renew it, and "OOPS, sorry officer, I guess I forgot to renew it" is not going to cut it when you pull it out and realize it has expired. Can somebody of "positive thinking" mind get this idea in the hands of some aspiring republican? Let's get 'r done!

45acpForMe

Forget the renewal, how about a lifetime one if you so choose to partake.

I'll go one step further, how about Constitutional Carry where you carry any way you like with no gubbermant approval needed?

Small steps are fine over time as long as the long term goal is the restoration of liberty.

As far as a CWP vs CHP, you should be able to conceal anything you want as long as there is no criminal intent. Criminals aren't going to start OC-ing knives and guns since that is what the law requires anyway! By definition criminals will break the law! So my "assumption" with constitutional carry bills would be to include anything you want to carry not just handguns.

TFred

As far as a CWP vs CHP, you should be able to conceal anything you want as long as there is no criminal intent. Criminals aren't going to start OC-ing knives and guns since that is what the law requires anyway! By definition criminals will break the law! So my "assumption" with constitutional carry bills would be to include anything you want to carry not just handguns.
Just to refresh memories, the concealed weapon law, 18.2-308, outlaws the concealed carry of a number of types of weapons, including handguns. The law also provides for a Concealed Handgun Permit, which does not allow the concealed carry of any of the other items enumerated in the law.

So aside from the provisions for general exception in Paragraphs B and C, there is no way to legally carry concealed any of those "other" weapons listed in Paragraph A*.

TFred

* Here's the list:

(ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection

Old Virginia Joe

yes TFred, that is why I say a CWP is my other suggestion for a change in the law. Why CAN'T I carry a weapon other than a gun if I have had to submit to and been blessed by the PTB to carry a firearm concealed? WHY am I, an obviously law-abiding citizen restricted in this way? They used to say, if you had a lock blade folding buck knife of 4 inch blade under your Levi jacket bottom trim, on your belt, you could be nabbed for CW violation. After all I've been thru to get the CHP, I don't want to have to worry about that chicken-shoot kind of stuff!!

TFred

The sad (or perhaps even ridiculous) part of this is that if a rugged little kid doesn't know how to properly do "the Virginia Tuck", he's committing a crime!

TFred

It's a Flickr photo, click on photo to go to album page.

Old Virginia Joe

The sad (or perhaps even ridiculous) part of this is that if a rugged little kid doesn't know how to properly do "the Virginia Tuck", he's committing a crime!

TFred

It's a Flickr photo, click on photo to go to album page.

For all you LEO out there on APB BOL patrol for the person in this picture, his name is reported as Dennis "The Menance" Mitchell, over . . . . . .

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I would a renewal notice requirement (as well as constitutional carry or a CWP). The real question is whether the DMV is required by law to send renewal notifications. If they are not required but do it as a courtesy then citing them may not be a strong example. As for the legislation part, if you want it, write it out on paper. Contact your representative, send it to them and they will re-write it in legalese and then they will sponsor it if they are willing. I can help with proofreading if you write it up.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

Just to refresh memories, the concealed weapon law, 18.2-308, outlaws the concealed carry of a number of types of weapons, including handguns. The law also provides for a Concealed Handgun Permit, which does not allow the concealed carry of any of the other items enumerated in the law.

So aside from the provisions for general exception in Paragraphs B and C, there is no way to legally carry concealed any of those "other" weapons listed in Paragraph A*.

TFred

* Here's the list:

Yes there is NO legal way to conceal carry the things on that list. BUT a 12 inch chef knife isn't on the list so it should be concealable right????

I have a few 7+ inch fixed blades and a 5.5 inch folder that I should be able to conceal lawfully.

As part of the push for constitutional carry I say get rid of that list and only punish people that actually commit crimes.

ETA: There is a clause (v) any weapon of like kind that is vague enough to catch you, so be aware that even though a 12" chef knife isn't a bowie knife some dumba$$ judge might think otherwise!!!

Last edited:

mobeewan

Now that box cutters have been ruled by the Supreme Court of Va as not a "weapon of like kind", I guess that Carpet knives and scapels are okay to CC too.

DontTreadOnMeVa

Forget the renewal, how about a lifetime one if you so choose to partake.

+1

I'll go one step further, how about Constitutional Carry where you carry any way you like with no gubbermant approval needed?

+10000

Constitutional Carry....and no stupid restrictions that it is only a pistol! As others have said, it should be weapon of choice not pistol. If I want to carry a boot knife as well, I should not be worried if will be called a dirk or a bowie or some such bull squeeze. If I want in the open or tucked away....should be my discretion. But, I think all the junk in the legal code infringing on self-defense should go...

altajava

If I had to pick the one thing that would pass this year, it would be getting ALL the various state agencies on the same page and under preemption.:banghead:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
If I had to pick the one thing that would pass this year, it would be getting ALL the various state agencies on the same page and under preemption.:banghead:
+1
icon14.png