• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clayton and Ladue area

Firedawg314

Does anyone know if OC is allowed in Clayton and Ladue area?

I found myself walking into Julies Cupcake store/cafe'. I had on a light jacket that was coving my "stuff", but i was about to pull off my jacket and realized... I don't know the rules out here. I just don't want any trouble espeically when I'm busy.

Any info would help.

mspgunner

I found myself walking into Julies Cupcake store/cafe'. I had on a light jacket that was coving my "stuff", but i was about to pull off my jacket and realized... I don't know the rules out here. I just don't want any trouble espeically when I'm busy.

Any info would help.

At last check both were Ok with OC, consult the local laws to be sure they did not change.

xdmcompact

Any info would help.

Even though this is what this site is for, never take advise on any muni's laws from someone without confirming them yourself. You are asking for trouble if you go by what one person says. Now the one comment made by mspgunner is sound, almost ending up in hot water myself now has me verifying everything even from the most knowledgeable people on here.

Last edited:

mspgunner

Even though this is what this site is for, never take advise on any muni's laws from someone without confirming them yourself. You are asking for trouble if you go by what one person says. Now the one comment made by mspgunner is sound, almost ending up in hot water myself now has me verifying everything even from the most knowledgeable people on here.

Exactly! Always, always checkl local laws yourself! You can't go before a judge and say "so-in-so said it was OK".
One big problem is the local codes are not always up to date on their web sites. I have no solution to that except to go to the local entity itself and thumb through the pages of local laws,
Not very easy or pactical is it?

Firedawg314

Great point... with that being said... what would you suggest, for me seeking the answers? Before, people where "not easy" about asking the LEO, etc.

mspgunner

Great point... with that being said... what would you suggest, for me seeking the answers? Before, people where "not easy" about asking the LEO, etc.

LEOs are totally not reliable!!!!
The only way to be 100% sure is to go to the City Halls and check the codes yourself. Sad but true. Some of us do count on each other for the local laws, but you had best be very careful who to trust.
My friend, take your time with OC, hang with some OC folks, meet ups when they happen.
Getting arrested can really mess up your life, there are those here who can tell you better than I about that, but unless you have a lot of time and $$$$$$$$$$$$$, just be careful.

Firedawg314

LEOs are totally not reliable!!!!
The only way to be 100% sure is to go to the City Halls and check the codes yourself. Sad but true. Some of us do count on each other for the local laws, but you had best be very careful who to trust.
My friend, take your time with OC, hang with some OC folks, meet ups when they happen.
Getting arrested can really mess up your life, there are those here who can tell you better than I about that, but unless you have a lot of time and $$$$$$$$$$$$$, just be careful.

Of course (to be careful). I have to take some time out and visit those city halls. I figure if I know of the areas that I mainly be at... that will keep me out of trouble (knowing which city is ok with it and not). Thanks again.

xdmcompact

Of course (to be careful). I have to take some time out and visit those city halls. I figure if I know of the areas that I mainly be at... that will keep me out of trouble (knowing which city is ok with it and not). Thanks again.

You may have to go to check ordinances every week, that's how often they can change. You could check an ordinance on Monday and get arrested on Thursday because they changed it. We are not trying to discourage you from OC'ing just letting you know you are walking on thin ice. We have had no less than five muni's ban OC in the last 4 months or so. Tread lightly and check often!

Firedawg314

You may have to go to check ordinances every week, that's how often they can change. You could check an ordinance on Monday and get arrested on Thursday because they changed it. We are not trying to discourage you from OC'ing just letting you know you are walking on thin ice. We have had no less than five muni's ban OC in the last 4 months or so. Tread lightly and check often!

Yeah, I forgot how quick they can change a law in a town. You know, they don't need my money anyway;) After all, that's rich "Ladue and Clayton". They have the college students to spend their money and all the lawyers and doctors that live there.

Redbaron007

True...however, if you check their city meeting notes from the last several months, you can see if they changed or passed new legislation on the issue without having to pull the code.

Oramac

True...however, if you check their city meeting notes from the last several months, you can see if they changed or passed new legislation on the issue without having to pull the code.

This kind of crap is exactly the reason I'm hesitant to OC before we get state-wide preemption. :(

Redbaron007

This kind of crap is exactly the reason I'm hesitant to OC before we get state-wide preemption. :(

Unfortunately it is a reality of life. State wide preemption is prolly not going to occur :cry:. The main thing is to check before going out. I OC here in Springfield, which is OC friendly. Although, most of the LEOs are ok, they don't care for it most of the time-but understand it isn't against the law; however, we have a crop of aggressive rookies on board right now that give pause sometimes.

I will once again contact my reps in December to suggest to them the notion of a preemptive statute.

Oramac

Unfortunately it is a reality of life. State wide preemption is prolly not going to occur :cry:. The main thing is to check before going out. I OC here in Springfield, which is OC friendly. Although, most of the LEOs are ok, they don't care for it most of the time-but understand it isn't against the law; however, we have a crop of aggressive rookies on board right now that give pause sometimes.

I will once again contact my reps in December to suggest to them the notion of a preemptive statute.

Preemption is more likely than you might think, at least in the House. I know in the StL area there are quite a few reps that are in favor of it. One of the strongest being Mark Parkinson.

That said, I do intend to practice OC. I'm just going to be very very careful about it. I know up here St Charles, St Peters and OFallon are all OC friendly, so I can at least do that.

Redbaron007

Preemption is more likely than you might think, at least in the House. I know in the StL area there are quite a few reps that are in favor of it. One of the strongest being Mark Parkinson.

That said, I do intend to practice OC. I'm just going to be very very careful about it. I know up here St Charles, St Peters and OFallon are all OC friendly, so I can at least do that.

I would agree with you about the House. The Senate is suspect at best. Plus, if they should pass both, I doubt Jumpin Jay will sign it; so a veto proof vote is needed. Although, you never know. :rolleyes:

However, with that said......one should contact their House/Senate rep to try and punch this through. It would be nice to have this signed and in place this time next year. IIRC, there was a bill this past year; however, it would make OC legal state wide only if you have a CCW...it was HB841.