• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock 17

bmmd321

Well holidays are near and daddy's looking to shop. I read a lot of positive reviews on the Glock 17 and was just looking for your feedback on the pros and cons. Anyone with a Glock 17? Share some of your opinions.

Tactical9mm

I own a 19 and a 34. As far as my personal preference, I would recommend the "long-slide" 34 over the 17. When I lived in Nevada, the 34 was my daily OC pistol for three years. Since moving to New Hampshire, I find myself CC'ing most of the time, and the 19 is the one for that job.

I assume that since you mention the 17 you are not looking for something to CC with, and prefer the "full size" 9mm option. With Glock this leaves your options open for the 17, the 17L, and the 34. The 17L I do not personally recommend, as there are some balance issues (in my opinion). The 34 has no such balance issues because of the way the slide is hollowed out near the barrel, topside. I find it to be extremely accurate at distances greater then fifteen yards. Don't get me wrong, ANY full size 9mm Glock is a good choice. It just comes down to preference.

Best of luck with your shopping.

MKEgal

I like mine a lot.
One of the reasons I bought them is because the G17 is the most widely-used duty pistol around the world, for LEO & military. Therefore it's been extensively field tested & is very reliable.

The only failure I've ever had was with a rental G17 that was filthy & probably in need of a tuneup - it wasn't ejecting well & I had a couple stovepipes in among the dribbly ejections.

(That doesn't sound quite right... the person standing behind me, watching, described the brass removal as a dribble, going maybe a foot to my right when it should have been thrown 6' or more.)

JohnnyO

The Glock 17 Gen 3 is the gold standard of 9mm duty pistols. However the newer Gen 4 Glocks, G17 and G19 have had a number of issues due to changes Glock incorporated. Fortunately Glock still produces the Gen 3 models.

Some of the issues with Gen 4 Glocks have been poor extraction/ejection and a propensity to shoot left. Interestingly issues experienced have happened in some guns right out of the box and other guns have started acting up at 2K rounds. Glock has changed the recoil spring assembly in the newest Gen 4 9mm guns and offered a free replacement for the early Gen 4s. The first Gen 4 guns had the same recoil spring assembly used in the .40 S&W guns and it proved to be over sprung.

The "shooting left" issue I have never seen first hand but it has been widely reported by experienced Glock shooters.

If I were in the market for a G17 today I would stick with the Gen 3 gun or wait until enough water has gone under the bridge to assure that the Gen 4 guns are bug free.

MHemmann

i have a number of glock pistols. i have the G17, G23, G27 and a G30. the G17 is nice it shoots great and i can CC it if needed. i use a pitbull kydex holster the fits all but the the G30. i also have a lone wolf conversion barrel for the G23 so it basically turns it into a G19. but i wouldn't carry it that way. the G17 is a great gun and it's one that every gun owner should have in the safe. again as mentioned above make sure it's a Gen 3 so you dont have any problems. if you can try to shoot one before you buy that way you know you like it. good luck

Local Guy

I bought my G17 back in the 90's. I immediately fell in love with it. It's just so damn reliable. It has at least 10,000 rounds through - never a misfire (factory ammo, though - no reloads, if that matters). It shoots tight @ 25 yds. Well, at least, I do, but I think the gun helps. I've carried it in a shoulder holster (under a sportscoat for work) & holstered inside the belt. It conceals well enough that my wife can't tell until she comes in close for a hug.

Having said all that, as was pointed out earlier, if Glock is having issues with the Gen4, I'd reserve my endorsement of the newer models.

Would you consider buying an older model used? Does anybody have a reason not to buy an older, used G17 if you could test fire 50 -100 rds.? Assuming it worked, of course.

dcmdon

I've got a 34, essentially a long slide 17, and it runs as perfectly as anyone could expect. I've got about 30,000 rounds through it and it's never failed EVER when using factory ammo.

There are no real hidden flaws in its design. They are all right on the surface they either bother you or they don't.

1) unnecessarily thick and blocky
2) stock trigger can be tough to master
3) grip can be a bit large for those with small hands. Although almost anyone can adapt. My 5'1" wife shoots it just fine with her small hands.

There are some hidden pluses you won't notice until you've lived with the gun:

1) once you get used to it the factory trigger is quite good if you learn to release it only to the point of reset.
2) it's immune to corrosion
3) cleaning seems to be optional
4) tons of parts available.
5) a $15 3.5 lb connector will improve the trigger significantly
6) NOTHING needs to be done to it for it to be an excellent defensive gun
7) low risk choice. Reliable. No surprises. Easy resale.

With that said, I've owned two Glocks for cc, a 26 and a 23. I sold them both.
I currently carry my 34 (with a compensator) occasionally in a semi OC way. It's light but big. So an OWB holster is the only carry method that works for me.

Hope this helps,

Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Do it. Great gun for open and concealed carry. (i say go for the G22 .40)

It's a Glock, there aren't any cons.

sent from my phone, excuse my grammar/spelling errors

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I think you need to also get the softer recoil spring, not sure how much more that will be.

No extra purchase is necessary for a Glock to function properly

oak1971

G17 gen 3 here. Never had a lick of trouble in all the years I've had it. Lost track of round count, but in the many thousands. Only downside is it obviously a large gun for concealment.

N605TW

Activist Member
My every day carry is a gen 4 glock 17. I did not care for the double spring, so I replaced it with a gen 3 spring. It works fine with both springs however.
I'm tall and skinny and I can conceal so it shouldn't* be a problem with most people. Like others said, its a glock so you can't go wrong.

*your milage may vary.

dcmdon

No extra purchase is necessary for a Glock to function properly

Wait, so you are saying that a .40 cal glock, like a .22 will function fine with a 9mm conversion bbl without a softer recoil spring. I find that hard to believe, but I have no personal experience, so if you say so , I'm ok with that.

Don

oak1971

All Glocks have stiff springs. If you reload, bear in mind that powder charges on the lighter side may not play well with stock springs.

xmanhockey7

Well holidays are near and daddy's looking to shop. I read a lot of positive reviews on the Glock 17 and was just looking for your feedback on the pros and cons. Anyone with a Glock 17? Share some of your opinions.

If it's for anything except CC there are no cons. It's a great gun. I have a Glock 22 and have a conversion barrel which makes it a G17 but is def not 100% reliable.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Wait, so you are saying that a .40 cal glock, like a .22 will function fine with a 9mm conversion bbl without a softer recoil spring. I find that hard to believe, but I have no personal experience, so if you say so , I'm ok with that.

Don

FWIW I Didn't say this. In fact you quoted what I did say.

A .40 cal Glock is .40 cal... Not .22 o_O unless you meant a G22 which happens to be a .40?

And actually yes, you don't need a different recoil spring to shoot 9mm.

dcmdon

Thanks for the info. I've thought that I should have gotten a 35 years ago, then I'd have been able to shoot both 9mm and 40.

I'm guessing it's a bad idea to convert a 9mm Glock to. 40, but does anyone here know anyone here who has tried? Just curious.

JohnnyO

Thanks for the info. I've thought that I should have gotten a 35 years ago, then I'd have been able to shoot both 9mm and 40.

I'm guessing it's a bad idea to convert a 9mm Glock to. 40, but does anyone here know anyone here who has tried? Just curious.

I have always heard of going from .40 to 9mm never the other way. Perhaps the ID of the hole in the slide on a 9mm Glock will not accept a .40 barrel. I think the 9mm barrels made for conversion in a .40 Glock have extra meat increasing the OD in order to match the slide.