• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another BB&T Bank Robbed in NoVA

Dreamer

Just heard it on the radio.

BB&T bank on Old Keene Mill Road in Springfield robbed.

Where's Ed? I think they need another post-card asking how that No Guns policy is working out for them.

Gawd, but it seems like BB&T gets robbed a lot. You wouldn't catch me having an account there.

In North Carolina, BB&T is the most-robbed bank in the state.

The State Employees Credit Union (NC-SECU) allows OC and is well-known to be OC-friendly. The only SECU branches in NC that have been robbed in recent memory were in Ashboro and Raleigh--both in early 2010...

Just sayin'...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP However, I find it in poor taste to send a postcard IMMEDIATELY after an incident (regardless if there are injuries or not) and using that as an opportunity to jump on the soapbox.

My first reaction would be to agree with you. In fact, I think I've criticized Ed on this or a similar point in the past.

However, BB&T exec's are not terribly likely to get all smaltzy over a robbery. Part of doing business. Also, if they were all that concerned about people, they wouldn't be preventing them from defending themselves.

It was a "business" decision to disallow guns, I'm guessing. Probably "recommended" by the lawyers.

Being nice, considerate, etc., has little chance of working, I judge. Lawyers and big execs are more interested in the bottom line and the general image--the things that make the stockholders happy or unhappy.

Maybe the next postcard can include a line, "So, don't you think its about time to stop listening to the corporate attorneys Mr. CEO?"

Also, Ed has gotten feedback that people in the postal service see these cards going by. He's gotten favorable reactions.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
You know, I'm all for sending a notification to the bank reminding them the importance of allowing patrons to exercise their rights, as a decal on the window certainly doesn't do anything other than disarm those law-abiding citizens who FOLLOW the rules. However, I find it in poor taste to send a postcard IMMEDIATELY after an incident

Years ago when a branch near my home got robbed.. I send them a long, professional letter, explaining all the aspects of why they should remove the sign. I sent one to the Board, the CEO, the area general manager and the branch. No reply.. I even called and asked if they got my letter, they did. So, I then send to the same set of people every time they get robbed. Is it in poor tatse? That is in individual opinion. Six months from now the postcard about that branch will mean nothing. As it happens, When I send a postcard, it takes about 3-4 days to arrive. Still close enough to the date to be relative.

Superlite27

I will agree that correspondence should be tactful and polite. (I always try to include clearly articulated, unassailable logic to "pre-empt" any goofy anti-gun sound bites they may try to pawn off on me.)

Ed has stated that he has ALREADY tried tactful letters without any response.

Therefore, while I never applaud smarmy, snide comments, the point we (supporters of pro-firearms policies) have been trying to make has been completely ignored. The businesses involved know our concerns. They know we've tried to receive an answer to our questions regarding their policies, and they know we've done so in a polite and tactful manner.

It is obviously not working because nobody (that I know of) has received a response. The typical rteply of these businesses is usually complete silence. Our concerns are not being addressed, or even responded to. This leads to the (correct) assumption that: We are being ignored.

In the rare occurrences that we do receive a response, it is usually a "ruber-stamp" fluff peice that is completely transparent.

"Our company is concerned about your feelings. We have diligently examined your complaint and have devoted countless hours addressing your valid grievance. We here at (insert business) are proactive in our involvement with all your issues and are striving for an acceptable remedy to rectify your complaint. Please feel free to contact us again regarding your problems, and we will happily do all we can to mediate any concern you may have in the future. We appreciate your business and thank you for supporting (insert business)."

Thay have done absolutely nothing. Their outlook has changed absolutely zero. What they really mean to write is: "WE COULD CARE LESS".

That's in the rare occasion that they even take the time to condescend to us.

Wouldn't it be absolutely refreshing to get a response that actually addressed our concern?!?

"After reading about your concerns, we have concluded that your point is valid and are taking steps to change our flawed policy."

WOW! When will any of us get one of those letters in the mail?

Therefore, while I always try to "keep to the high road" and keep my correspondence tactful and polite, I have no problem with resorting to snide comments and thinly veiled sarcasm. However, I only believe it is justified AFTER attempting politeness and respectful diologue first.

Ed has clearly stated that he has ALREADY attempted polite correspondence and received the typical non-response of being completely ignored. Therefore, I see no problem with correspondence asking such smarmy, ill timed, and trite questions such as:

"Hey! How's that sign workin' out for ya'?".

It will probably result in no better response than the politeness we've attempted before: complete disregard. But that disregard wasn't doing much for us in the first place. We might as well actively "get to the point" in a more direct, if not "polite" manner. We have received nothing to "salve our wounds" before now. We might as well get a balm to our egos of knowing we "got in a good jab". It's likely to be the only positive result that will come of the entire matter.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Oh, but there is another positive point -perhaps the biggest one of all.

Ed's colorful and attention grabbing postcards are seen and likely read by untold numbers of other people, both postal employees and employees at all levels within the offender's organization - that generates thought and conversation from other than the actual addressee. Bet they even talk about it with their friends outside of work too - maximizes the mileage.

Would love to be a fly following his cards on their journey :lol:

ed

Ed's colorful and attention grabbing postcards are seen and likely read by untold numbers of other people, both postal employees and employees at all levels within the offender's organization - that generates thought and conversation from other than the actual addressee. Bet they even talk about it with their friends outside of work too - maximizes the mileage.

Would love to be a fly following his cards on their journey :lol:

Exactly!

And the beauty of it? ANYONE can do it!!! http://www.amazingmail.com/signup.php

Superlite27

How refreshing!

After I lamented the rarity of a positive response from businesses we contact regarding policy, protias has to post his response from Subway.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?97769-Subway

Go figure. Miracles do happen. Even if pro-gun policy changes happen just to spite me, I'll still take it.

The ATF will never be abolished!

(Come on, Lord! Make a liar out of me once more!)

ed

[h=2]LCSO on Scene of Reported Armed Robbery @ BBT Bank on Davenport Dr. Suspect is Black Male Wearing Halloween Mask[/h]The Loudoun County Sheriff's Office (was earlier today)on the scene of a reported armed bank robbery at the BB & T Bank located in the 20900 block of DavenportDrive in Sterling, Virginia.

This is near the Regal Cinema in Countryside.

Around 9:45 a.m. an unknown Black male walked into the bank using an umbrella and mask to conceal his identity. The suspect was reportedly wearing a black sweatshirt, dark colored jeans and white tennis shoes with a red stripe. The suspect fled the bank on foot in the direction of Route 7.

TFred

[h=2]LCSO on Scene of Reported Armed Robbery @ BBT Bank on Davenport Dr. Suspect is Black Male Wearing Halloween Mask[/h]The Loudoun County Sheriff's Office (was earlier today)on the scene of a reported armed bank robbery at the BB & T Bank located in the 20900 block of DavenportDrive in Sterling, Virginia.

This is near the Regal Cinema in Countryside.

Around 9:45 a.m. an unknown Black male walked into the bank using an umbrella and mask to conceal his identity. The suspect was reportedly wearing a black sweatshirt, dark colored jeans and white tennis shoes with a red stripe. The suspect fled the bank on foot in the direction of Route 7.
Guess he had more Christmas shopping to do... GI Joe with the kung-fu grip!

TFred

Neplusultra

What I would like to know is what are all the reasons a store would not want a law abiding citizen to have a gun in their store. They certainly should be held liable for protecting me while in their store if they deny my the means of protecting myself. And a law should state that. But shouldn't this type of law also protect the store from their either rational or irrational fears of allowing guns in the store?

I think if both sides of this coin were addressed by the law few people/stores, other than the rabid antis, would oppose it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What I would like to know is what are all the reasons a store would not want a law abiding citizen to have a gun in their store. They certainly should be held liable for protecting me while in their store if they deny my the means of protecting myself. And a law should state that. But shouldn't this type of law also protect the store from their either rational or irrational fears of allowing guns in the store?

I think if both sides of this coin were addressed by the law few people/stores, other than the rabid antis, would oppose it.

How does one protect from fears, rational or otherwise?