Thread: Where is the "best place to buy ammo"?

Where is the "best place to buy ammo"?

I know we all have heard it a million times. So far for me, I have found Calbelas pretty "cheap" on the price, if you considered saving on average $1-$2 on a pack of 50 cheaper. If wondering I use .380 and .45 ACP. I don't want the cheapest built bullet and I don't want the most expensive bullet either. I have two (three if you count the one under the tree) guns, a Taurus PT 638 PRO and a .... Hi Point .45. Of couse when I was using the Winchesters' target rounds, they are perfect! But after awhile they kinda... hit the pocket books a bit. I have tried the Herters Brass casing ones and I have NO miss fires nor failure to eject. So for practice i have been leaning towards Herter's brand (brass casing).

At the above mention store, a 50 pack runs $22 for .45 cal and about $17 for .380 cal. (Herter's, and about $20 for .380 and $24 for .45cal in the Winchster's)

I went to "wally world" and the same Winchesters' brand cost a few dollars more??? I even asked for a price match and they wouldn't do it (West Florissant store). Their .380 cal, 100 round back with tax is $42 vs. the other store at $32 for a 100 rounds!!!

But of course looking online... I have found several websites that will sell rounds at a "cheaper" price, but what sucks, the shipping cost! In the long run, it was best to just go to the local store and buy it and save a few bucks.

But what I really want to know (and some of you may know) what's the most affordable traning rounds to buy and where from? Keeping in mind I really perfer brass casing.

I used to buy plinking ammo at Wal-Mart because they had the cheapest prices around. After the latest price increase this past summer I started buying bulk ammo from surplusammo.com. In addition to the big name brands, they sell one called BVAC, which is based in Montana. I have shot several hundred rounds of BVAC 9mm for plinking and competition, with only one FTE. So far, I highly recommend them.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”

- Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by wow6599 View Post
    try this - http://www.ammoengine.com/

- Sigmund Freud
    Freud never said this. It has been inferred from his works of literature, but this is not a quote. Like 95% of internet quotes, it was never said by the person to whom it was attributed.

But I tend to agree with it anyway
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

"The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln

If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

Sgammo.com has good deals as well.

WOW beat me to it. I use http://www.ammoengine.com/ to comparison-shop.

Academy Sports, for Black Friday, had Monarch steel casing, for $7.99/bx of 50. No limits, but no rain checks either. They were out when I went by this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by 3fgburner View Post
    WOW beat me to it. I use http://www.ammoengine.com/ to comparison-shop.
    I checked out the site just now....WOW that is pretty affordble! I just came back from Calbelas, think it was cheaper because I didn't have to pay for shipping.

Right now they have on sale the Herter's brass casing... $12.99 a box of 50 for .380 cal. Then online they had the "ultramax" brand (its reloaded rounds)... I got 600 rounds of .45 ACP for $150, I choose the in store pick up, so I didn't have to pay any shipping fees.

Live and learn. Also, for some odd reason I picked up the 350 rounds of American .45 ACP... man did I blow some money.

Reload... cheapest way to go and therapeutic
    I got a gun for my wife; Best trade I ever made

Quote Originally Posted by Starrman View Post
    Reload... cheapest way to go and therapeutic
    Yeah, but I still don't reload 9mm......not worth the time/cost savings. When I find a really good deal on 9mm, I stock-up on it. On that same note though, I haven't bought manufactured .45 ACP or .357 Mag in years. Starrman is correct - roll your own.

- Sigmund Freud

If you buy a case (1000rds) at a time, shipping is cheap.

natchezss.com
    ammotogo.com
    ammoman.com

I have purchased ammo from all 3 and had excellent experiences with them.

I like ammoengine.com but ammoseek.com seems to have a larger number of source sites.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

Quote Originally Posted by wow6599 View Post
    Yeah, but I still don't reload 9mm......not worth the time/cost savings. When I find a really good deal on 9mm, I stock-up on it. On that same note though, I haven't bought manufactured .45 ACP or .357 Mag in years. Starrman is correct - roll your own.
    5600 once fired 9mm brass =$80.99 ($1.44 per 100)
    5000 primers local gun show=142.99 ($2.85 per 100)
    4000 9mm 115 grain bullets per 4000
    at midwayusa =$384.99 ($9.62 per 100)
    8 lb unique powder =$111.99 gives
    you 56,000 loads (throws) ($0.19 per 100)

Total ($14.10 per 100)
    Magtech Sport Ammunition
    9mm Luger 115 Grain
    Full Metal Jacket $10.99 per 50 ($22.00 per 100)

savings $8.00 per 100

Pick up your brass at the range and subtract the $1.44 from the $14.10 and that's over $9.00 per 100 savings

you might want to reconsider reloading 9mm

Remember, a lot of ranges don't allow Russian ammo which can be purchased as low as $17.00 per 100
    Last edited by Starrman; 11-26-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    I got a gun for my wife; Best trade I ever made