• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where is the "best place to buy ammo"?

Firedawg314

I know we all have heard it a million times. So far for me, I have found Calbelas pretty "cheap" on the price, if you considered saving on average $1-$2 on a pack of 50 cheaper. If wondering I use .380 and .45 ACP. I don't want the cheapest built bullet and I don't want the most expensive bullet either. I have two (three if you count the one under the tree) guns, a Taurus PT 638 PRO and a .... Hi Point .45. Of couse when I was using the Winchesters' target rounds, they are perfect! But after awhile they kinda... hit the pocket books a bit. I have tried the Herters Brass casing ones and I have NO miss fires nor failure to eject. So for practice i have been leaning towards Herter's brand (brass casing).

At the above mention store, a 50 pack runs $22 for .45 cal and about $17 for .380 cal. (Herter's, and about $20 for .380 and $24 for .45cal in the Winchster's)

I went to "wally world" and the same Winchesters' brand cost a few dollars more??? I even asked for a price match and they wouldn't do it (West Florissant store). Their .380 cal, 100 round back with tax is $42 vs. the other store at $32 for a 100 rounds!!!

But of course looking online... I have found several websites that will sell rounds at a "cheaper" price, but what sucks, the shipping cost! In the long run, it was best to just go to the local store and buy it and save a few bucks.

But what I really want to know (and some of you may know) what's the most affordable traning rounds to buy and where from? Keeping in mind I really perfer brass casing.

Morpheus97

I used to buy plinking ammo at Wal-Mart because they had the cheapest prices around. After the latest price increase this past summer I started buying bulk ammo from surplusammo.com. In addition to the big name brands, they sell one called BVAC, which is based in Montana. I have shot several hundred rounds of BVAC 9mm for plinking and competition, with only one FTE. So far, I highly recommend them.

Redbaron007

Academy Sports, for Black Friday, had Monarch steel casing, for $7.99/bx of 50. No limits, but no rain checks either. They were out when I went by this morning. :(

Firedawg314

WOW beat me to it. I use http://www.ammoengine.com/ to comparison-shop.

I checked out the site just now....WOW that is pretty affordble! I just came back from Calbelas, think it was cheaper because I didn't have to pay for shipping.

Right now they have on sale the Herter's brass casing... $12.99 a box of 50 for .380 cal. Then online they had the "ultramax" brand (its reloaded rounds)... I got 600 rounds of .45 ACP for $150, I choose the in store pick up, so I didn't have to pay any shipping fees.

Live and learn. Also, for some odd reason I picked up the 350 rounds of American .45 ACP... man did I blow some money.

wow6599

Reload... cheapest way to go and therapeutic

Yeah, but I still don't reload 9mm......not worth the time/cost savings. When I find a really good deal on 9mm, I stock-up on it. On that same note though, I haven't bought manufactured .45 ACP or .357 Mag in years. Starrman is correct - roll your own.

flb_78

If you buy a case (1000rds) at a time, shipping is cheap.

natchezss.com
ammotogo.com
ammoman.com

I have purchased ammo from all 3 and had excellent experiences with them.

Starrman

Yeah, but I still don't reload 9mm......not worth the time/cost savings. When I find a really good deal on 9mm, I stock-up on it. On that same note though, I haven't bought manufactured .45 ACP or .357 Mag in years. Starrman is correct - roll your own.

5600 once fired 9mm brass =$80.99 ($1.44 per 100)
5000 primers local gun show=142.99 ($2.85 per 100)
4000 9mm 115 grain bullets per 4000
at midwayusa =$384.99 ($9.62 per 100)
8 lb unique powder =$111.99 gives
you 56,000 loads (throws) ($0.19 per 100)

Total ($14.10 per 100)
Magtech Sport Ammunition
9mm Luger 115 Grain
Full Metal Jacket $10.99 per 50 ($22.00 per 100)

savings $8.00 per 100

Pick up your brass at the range and subtract the $1.44 from the $14.10 and that's over $9.00 per 100 savings

you might want to reconsider reloading 9mm

Remember, a lot of ranges don't allow Russian ammo which can be purchased as low as $17.00 per 100

Last edited: