• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to do next?

metalman383

This is the response I recieved, after contacting Mega Foods.
Message body

Daniel –

As you are aware…the timing of this legislation and the reaction time for organizations such as our was fairly short. Our intent and our actions, are in no way intended to be political statements. We are still researching other areas of the United States that have passed conceal and carry laws and how retailers in these markets have responded with policies and procedures that serve all customers. Until such time that we have finalized our policies and procedures we have chosen to keep our policies as they were. We will modify the signs on our doors to reflect our policies once they have been finalized. I am sorry that you feel the need to not shop in our stores over this. We are doing everything we can to come to a quick resolution and I hope that we are able to maintain your loyalty. Thank you for inquiring…and please reach out to me directly with any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Mike Buck

President & CEO

Office: 715-836-8710 ext. 1308

Cell: 715-514-8887

Fax: 715-836-8712

Email: mike.buck@megafoods.com

Address: 1201 S. Hastings Way, Eau Claire, WI 54701

I like shopping there, and am dissapointed, that I can't any more. Maybe some of you guys could also contact mike and help sway them to our side. Thanks

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Add 'em to the FriendOrFoe.us database. Make sure that they know.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Email sent.

Mr Buck,

I understand your stores are posted 'no firearms'.

While I respect your private property rights to exclude people that do not belong to a protected class, please know that I will exercise my right to spend my money where I am welcomed.

48 states have had concealed carry for many years and WI has had open carry since it's founding. In 1998, 76% of WI voters approved WI Constitutional Amendment that reiterates an individuals right to bear arms for defense as well as any other lawful purposes.

Personally, I have open carried wherever legal for the last 2 years. In that time, I have never had any issue inside any business. Some examples of stores that I carry at regularly are Piggly Wiggly, Wal-Mart, Panera, Starbucks. In Walworth County, I know of only 2 or 3 stores that have posted. I know Piglly Wiggly in Lake Geneva posted for just a few days and received so many complaints that the sign came down.

I understand you are reviewing your options so I will give you a few additional data points to consider:

1. Wisconsin Statute 175.60(21)(b) grants you immunity if you do NOT post. So... today, since you are posted, and a bad guy, who will disobey your piece of paper, comes in causes issues with a firearm, you cannot claim immunity and could be found liable. If the sign were removed, you could claim immunity and would have one more arrow in your quiver at any potential trial.
2. So far, the DOJ has received 40,000+ applications for a license and it is expected that close to 200,000 will be processed during the 1st year. Every single one of these permit holders will have provided proof of training and will have passed a background check before being issued a permit. Do you really want to exclude all those people from your stores?

I, as well as thousands of people on www.opencarry.org and thounsands of members of Wisconsin Carry Inc, look forward to your decision.

--

Paul L Fisher

paul@paul-fisher.com

At least he is quick with his responses!

Paul,
Thank you for the information you’ve provided…it is valued and will be used as we finalize our policies (I expect we’ll have our final policy finalized within the next three weeks).

Best Regards,

Mike Buck