• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milford Permit Appllication Problems?

Edward Peruta

I have been contacted by a Pistol Safety Instructor who says he has four (4) individuals who took his class that are being told that they cannot submit their permit applications until April of 2012.

If factual, this is unacceptible and should be challenged.

If their are any others who are facing this issue in Milford, please contact me with the facts.

Discussions are currently taking place regarding the 5 day, one week and eight week provisions of the law.

Ed Peruta
edperuta@ctgunrights.com

There may be a very simple way to put Milford on notice that they must accept applications as they are received.

ctgunfreedom

So I just heard from one of my students the other day and he was told that the next available appointment for him to drop off his paperwork is in March 2012. I so far had told him to make the appointment, but that we needed to figure out a way around this long and unbelievable wait.

Any ideas!!!

Edward Peruta

There is a solution

In cases where government clearly disrespects the rights of law abiding individuals and/or knowingly and intentionally fails to do what the law mandates each one of us must make a decision on whether or not to get involved and take action.

Everyone who experiences the injustice and let's it go without action only contributes to the continued abuse of authority.

There is a solution, but are those effected willing to take the steps necessary?

There is in the state of Connecticut something new being referred to and offered by a Connecticut Attorney, it called the "EIGHT WEEK RETAINER AGREEMENT". This retainer agreement was specifically createdfor those who submit applications for Permits to Carry Pistols and Revolvers in the State of Connecticut.

There is an attorney who is very familiar with Connecticut Firearm Laws, who will review and submit your application documents and funds together a cover letter in your behalf explaining the law, putting the issuing authority on notice, and explaining what is expected regarding the Permit to Carry applicaiton process and timelines.

But are people willing to DEMAND compliance with the law by issuing authorities?

Then again, those who suffer the unlawful delays can just wait for the issuing authorities to make their decisions.

Anyone who needs more information may contact me:

edperuta@ctgunrights.com

dogsandhogs

In cases where government clearly disrespects the rights of law abiding individuals and/or knowingly and intentionally fails to do what the law mandates each one of us must make a decision on whether or not to get involved and take action.

Everyone who experiences the injustice and let's it go without action only contributes to the continued abuse of authority.

There is a solution, but are those effected willing to take the steps necessary?

There is in the state of Connecticut something new being referred to and offered by a Connecticut Attorney, it called the "EIGHT WEEK RETAINER AGREEMENT". This retainer agreement was specifically createdfor those who submit applications for Permits to Carry Pistols and Revolvers in the State of Connecticut.

There is an attorney who is very familiar with Connecticut Firearm Laws, who will review and submit your application documents and funds together a cover letter in your behalf explaining the law, putting the issuing authority on notice, and explaining what is expected regarding the Permit to Carry applicaiton process and timelines.

But are people willing to DEMAND compliance with the law by issuing authorities?

Then again, those who suffer the unlawful delays can just wait for the issuing authorities to make their decisions.

Anyone who needs more information may contact me:

edperuta@ctgunrights.com

I wish I had went this route before submitting my application.

dcmdon

I wish I had went this route before submitting my application.

There's no reason you can't make use of it now. If you engage Ed he'll bring an atty into play who will let the issuing authority know this is being watched.

In my humble opinion, whether it's worth the expense depends on whether or not you live in a "good" town. For example, I've had students permits turned around in less than two weeks in Windsor and under a month in Newington. So the cost benefit might not be worth it in those towns, but Milford or Hartford are another story.

Last edited:

Shawn Mitola

Milford has a long history of this crap. This was why I got my FL permit first and avoided the town of Milford all together when I first moved back to CT.

They have one officer who conducts "interviews" on a very limited time span. 2 days a week for 4 hours a day if I remember correctly.

They need to be put on notice, if I remember this is also one of those towns that requires a boat load of additional information in order to obtain your permit and all of it is against the state statutes.

Good Citizen

DPS Finger prints and Certified Mail W/application completed

The attorney retainer is a great way to go, if you can afford it, and after the process is all over I would file a suit in small claims court against the pd for the delay, most just want there permit, and for those who like to press the entitled legal action should contact these individuals to advise.

If it was me I would get fingerprints at DPS and then submit the Permit packet by “Certifed mail” and after 8 weeks you could file at the Board of firearms permit examiners, as being officially denied as you have the receipt date. If you don’t hear anything, Or if they refuse to take an application, sending it back, denying you of submitting it, you could try and file at the board of firearms permit examiners. It would me interesting to see how the board responds to such actions, it is well within their power to put a name on the roster.
I don’t know of any state law, mandating how you submit your application, or restrictions on it. If I recall correctly the law says you just have to submit it to the town period. If they refuse to take it by certified mail, which you know some secretary is going to sign for giving you your receipt, after 8 weeks your denied, your completed application was submitted, and file with BOFE as allowed by state law, for being denied. Regardless they are causing unnecessary delay’s, and the Board aint’ no quick fix either Apply now and you might get July 2012.

A bunch of inquisitive citizen should send some large FOIA requests down surrounding denials and the situation, see how that comes across, their budget.
Also flooding them with emails and calls wanting to dicuss the situation at length!

Administrative Assistant Marcia Krusewski

Milford Police Department
430 Boston Post Road, Milford, Connecticut, 06460
203-783-4768

email: police@ci.milford.ct.us

Police Comissioners:[/B]
NAME TERM EXPIRES ADDRESS
Samuel Bergami, Jr. (R), Vice Chairman 12/31/11 310 Tanglewood Circle
Milford, CT 06461
Melvin Eisenhandler (D) 12/31/11 15 Winthrop Court
Milford, CT 06460
Carol Faruolo (R) 12/31/12 19 Fenway North
Milford, CT 06460
Alberta Jagoe (D), Chairman 12/31/12 1 Morningside Drive
Milford, Ct 06460
Anthony Candido (D) 12/31/13 4 Topfield Road
Milford, CT 06460
Jerold M. Wanosky (R) 12/31/13 28 Ashburn Lane
Milford, CT 06460
Sharon Marrone (D) 12/31/13 5 Springdale Street
Milford, CT 06460

dcmdon

Good citizen,

Everything you have said makes sense. At this time, the practical problem to some people is the backlog at the BFPE.

If I was in Milford, where the process may take 9 mos anyway, I might to go to the BFPE right off the bat.

Maybe RichB can help me here, but I believe that their refusal to accept your permit app is viewed by the BFPE as a de facto denial. That way you could get the ball rolling without a wait.
In other words. A milford resident could have their prints done quickly at the State Police Baracks of their choice. With a completed app and cards, go to the milford PC. Attempt to submit the app. Get told you can't apply till April. (Keep a voice recorder go ing)

Now you have a de-facto denial. At this point you can immediately go to the BFPE. Even if it takes them 6 months to get to you, you may still be ahead of the game.

Ed said apps aren't accepted even until April. If you assume they turn it around in the required 8 weeks, which is giving them more credit than they deserve, you are now talking June, a month longer than it would take if the BFPE can get to you in 6 months.

Like I've said before, I will give a free pistol permit class to any milford resident who is willing to:
1) take my class
2) submit their app
3) escalate to the BFPE

In other words, follow through and make the MPD's life difficult.

If you are interested, talk to me via PM.

Don

Rich B

Maybe RichB can help me here, but I believe that their refusal to accept your permit app is viewed by the BFPE as a de facto denial. That way you could get the ball rolling without a wait.
In other words. A milford resident could have their prints done quickly at the State Police Baracks of their choice. With a completed app and cards, go to the milford PC. Attempt to submit the app. Get told you can't apply till April. (Keep a voice recorder go ing)

'The process' at this point consists of getting your prints done at DPS, sending your app in via certified mail. Wait the requisite 5 days and call and check to see if they submitted your fingerprints to the SPBI as required by law (they are also required to record this date in their files by statute). If they have, keep on top of them, but your permit should be handled as normal. If not, you should appeal immediately.

KIX

I have no known issues in Milford, but have several Hartford.

Ed is right, the more people don't stand up for their rights, the more they will continue to be abused.

Mailing in your app, certified (return receipt requested) does indeed start the clock. Regardless of what the issuing authority has to say.

If anyone has any information about taking fingerprints at a state police barracks or at the SLFU, please let me know so I can document this on my site as well. The part I'm most concerned with is the "vehicle" for notifying the local issuing authority that prints have already been taken and that they will get results from the state.

Is it on a separate form where you tell the State PD where to forward the results? Do you have to do it at SLFU in Middletown?

Jonathan

Equestrian714

I was one of the four students from milford that was told to wait until April to get the appointment. After getting an email back from our instructor he advised us to get our fingerprints done at the closest state police barracks. However, before I went I called troop g which is located in bridgeport to see if they would do it, the woman on the phone who was very helpful stated that only middletown which is the main headquarters only does pistol applications and renewals. I sent my application in on saturday via certified mail and i put a tracking number on it so i can see when they received it. Someone did sign for it and received it. Now its a waiting game

Rich B

I was one of the four students from milford that was told to wait until April to get the appointment. After getting an email back from our instructor he advised us to get our fingerprints done at the closest state police barracks. However, before I went I called troop g which is located in bridgeport to see if they would do it, the woman on the phone who was very helpful stated that only middletown which is the main headquarters only does pistol applications and renewals. I sent my application in on saturday via certified mail and i put a tracking number on it so i can see when they received it. Someone did sign for it and received it. Now its a waiting game

Good work.

Please keep us advised as to the status at 5 days after submission, and with regards to the one week after the receive the FBI report back (FBI report should take between 2-4 days).

Equestrian714

I have no known issues in Milford, but have several Hartford.

Ed is right, the more people don't stand up for their rights, the more they will continue to be abused.

Mailing in your app, certified (return receipt requested) does indeed start the clock. Regardless of what the issuing authority has to say.

If anyone has any information about taking fingerprints at a state police barracks or at the SLFU, please let me know so I can document this on my site as well. The part I'm most concerned with is the "vehicle" for notifying the local issuing authority that prints have already been taken and that they will get results from the state.

Is it on a separate form where you tell the State PD where to forward the results? Do you have to do it at SLFU in Middletown?

Jonathan

Middletown is the only state police headquarters that will do pistol permit applications or renewals. They take your prints dine through AFIS and you get two copies. I submitted both copies via certified mail with my application

KIX

Have you gone to Middletown yet?

Good to hear on the app. They indeed need a "reeducation"!

Jonathan

Equestrian714

Have you gone to Middletown yet?

Good to hear on the app. They indeed need a "reeducation"!

Jonathan

Yes went to middletown on a friday was in and out in twenty minutes and went through security. It was completely painless and the staff was super nice and helpful

dcmdon

Middletown is the only state police headquarters that will do pistol permit applications or renewals. They take your prints dine through AFIS and you get two copies. I submitted both copies via certified mail with my application

Can you explain this. As far as I know, none of the state police locations "do pistol permit applications". Its all done through the local issuing authority. At least the original Temporary Permit is done through the Local Issuing Authority. Then you go to the state police after that.

But our discussions have nothing to do with the part of the process done at the office in Middletown, since this can be done in one day.

If you are only talking about getting your prints done for later submission to the local issuing authority, then you are incorrect.
Troop F has offered to take prints for a number of my students.

Many of them live in small towns with a resident trooper/constable system. Often there isn't anyone "manning" the station durring the day. So Troop F has offered to do fingerprints for the applications.

Equestrian - you need to question everything you are told by anyone in this process. Yes, middletown is the only place to do renewals. (I think they shut down the other sites as part of the budget cuts). But as far as I know, there is nothing special about Middletown when it comes to your initial application for a temporary permit.

I'm wondering if your confusion is coming from the fact that you need to differentiate between the temporary permit (issued by the local issuing authority and a prerequisite for a standard pistol permit) and the standard pistol permit which is issued by the DPS out of Middletown.

Don

Equestrian714

Sorry maybe I didn't make myself clear. When I went to go get my local temporary I was told by a board member that I could go to any branch and get finger prints. In fact that maybe the troop you are referring to does to finger prints however they will ask you what the finger prints are for therefore they refered me to the Middletown branch

KIX

So you went in, took your prints, at what point did you tell them what they were for and how did they document that point.

I only ask because I did it locally, and I know at least two people that were turned away because THEY didn't know the process (the employees were clueless or wanted nothing to do with it).

Jonathan

Equestrian714

So you went in, took your prints, at what point did you tell them what they were for and how did they document that point.

I only ask because I did it locally, and I know at least two people that were turned away because THEY didn't know the process (the employees were clueless or wanted nothing to do with it).

Jonathan

I only knew what to say because this is what I was told. When you went in after going through security (I told the security officer I needed prints done) he sent me to that office and the receptionist asked what they were for as well as the technician. I told them about the wait in Milford and that they were for a pistol permit application. She didn't question me any further, I also had someone else come with me and there were no problems with him either. When they're taking your information for AFIS they ask you who these are going to and you tell them Milford PD or whomever they are going to (even though they give you copies to submit with your application) she also asked me what this was for and I told her a pistol permit application, since there is a spot on the printout of the prints what application this is for.