• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

politifact shows its true liberal colors

bmwguy11

My email to politifact:

In your recent article:
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin...-says-untrained-people-would-be-allowed-carr/

You state your conclusion:
"We found his comments, at the very least, strongly suggest that people faking the training could still get permits. Others back up Van Hollen’s assertion that he would be in a weak position, and it’s clear Wisconsin’s rules would be among the most lenient among states requiring permits.

The law is still on the books requiring an instructor-led training course, but it’s hard to prove that someone skipped it. So the door is open to "untrained" individuals getting a permit."

Even with the previous rules in place, people could just as easily "fake" the information that was required. The changes to the rules do not make it any more or less difficult to fake. The DOJ takes your word for it that the information you provide them on a certificate is factual and true. They do ZERO checking of that information to ensure it is valid and not fraudulent. Just because the certificate now requires less actual "information" on it, doesn't mean it is somehow easier to fake.

So to rate this claim True is just blatently incorrect and inaccurate.

If you want to contact them about this biased piece of junk reporting, go here:
http://www.politifact.com/contact/

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
I just sent the following email:

"I ask why this hysteria on the part of Representative Seidel merits your energy or attention. In the state of Vermont, anyone aged 16 or older may carry a handgun in any fashion they choose, including carrying a concealed handgun. No training, permit, or license is required.

"What about the children?", you ask? According to the uniform crime report statistics maintained by the US Department of Justice, the average homicide rate in the state of Vermont from 1996 through 2009 was 2.07 per 100,000. For the same period of time the average homicide rate in the state of Wisconsin which had a total prohibition on concealed carry of a handgun during that same time period was 3.28 per 100,000, or 1.58 times the homicide rate for Vermont. It is interesting to note that the HIGHEST homicide rate recorded in Vermont for the 1996-2009 period was 2.7 homicides per 100,000 while the LOWEST homicide rate recorded for Wisconsin during that same 14 year period was 2.6 homicides per 100,000.

In 1987 only 11 states had any provision for their citizens to carry concealed handguns. In 2011 there are now 49 states that have a provision to allow concealed carry of handguns. "What about the children?", you ask? What impact has this had on the homicide rate with all these "guns on the street"? The US Department of Justice states the following: "In the last decade (since 2000) the homicide rate declined to levels last seen in the mid-1960s." I hope you will verify this quote. You will find it here: http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=2221

Thank you for taking the time to read my comments. If you are truly interested in the facts, you need to start setting aside your bias and start doing more complete research.

IF they respond to my email, I will share it with the group.

hermannr

WA requires no training for their CPL. VT, AK, AR, and WY do not even require CPL to OC or CC.

ID has unlicensed OC, as does WI and several other states. What is the big deal with training? Law Enforcement has many hours of training required, and Law Enforcement has many times the accidents/felony discharges verse completely "no training required", civilian carriers do.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
From the Free Dictionary:
re·search (r
ibreve.gif
-sûrch
prime.gif
, r
emacr.gif
prime.gif
sûrch
lprime.gif
)
n.
1. Scholarly or scientific investigation or inquiry. See Synonyms at inquiry.
2. Close, careful study.

v. re·searched, re·search·ing, re·search·es
v.intr. To engage in or perform research.

v.tr.1. To study (something) thoroughly so as to present in a detailed, accurate manner: researching the effects of acid rain.
2. To do research for: research a magazine article.
Another meter is consulted...
29qb02a.jpg

MilProGuy

"So what was the bottom line? Did Van Hollen say untrained individuals could slip through?

He told the committee: "In essence, we will accept every application at face value without determining whether substantive and meaningful training has occurred."

And this is as it should be.

When I was issued my driver's license, I didn't have to submit any certificate of training to the licensing bureau.

I've been driving since 1962 and have never had a vehicular accident...but I did stay a Holiday Inn once. :lol:

Last edited:

bluehighways

The author of this little piece of political drivel seems to be having trouble comprehending how laws are made in the first place.

Attorney General B.J. Van Halen ADDED those rules AFTER the law had been created. Something he, as a solitary player, does NOT have the authority to do. Period.

If 'BJ's rules' had been deemed necessary, they should have and would have been introduced during the phase of lawmaking when the bill is being passed back and forth between the house and senate with amendments and revisions being made as seen fit, and applied or rejected by majority vote. Then its off to the Governor's desk, where, once signed, it becomes law. One lowly attorney general does not, under ANY circumstance, have the authority to autonomously edit, augment or revise any law.

The author writes in a tone suggesting that we all blame those nasty republicans for removing the only safeguards this law had against trigger happy whack-o's shooting up daycare centers.

The REAL politifact is that those alleged 'safeguards' had no business being in the law in the first place. They were illegally tacked on as an afterthought by one who grew a little too big for his britches. The removal of 'BJ's rules' was nothing more than getting the law back on track with what it was intended to be at the time of its inception.

wild boar

ta hell with them asscracks...

... for the tiny minded ones know not of what they speak. Besides, it's the spirit of the law that makes it, or breaks it. Olll Van whats his ass meant well, as do we. We stand with the best of them in Wisconsin. We are honest, Vetted carriers by the standards of the state. boar out.