• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brightwater facility vs. RCW 9.41.290

Trigger Dr

I believe that Brightwater is under the King County Parks umbrella, and therefore must comply. Go to their website and read very carefully.

Last edited:

MadHatter66

It would appear that they are in violation of .290 being that they are a government run facility and the park is under King County Natural Resources and Parks. It appears, from what I have found poking around the King Co site that Brightwater is just adopting the King Co park rules and not making up their own. I do, however find it funny that its not even in King Co....Looks like it would be a nice place to take a walk with the dog actually...

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I rec'd a rapid (altho automatic) response. message as follows:

"Thank you for contacting us. Your message has been sent to the King County Natural Resources and Parks staff. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for using the King County Web site: www.kingcounty.gov"

As the man said in "under siege".... "We shall see what we shall see!"

geojohn

Visited today

I visited the park earlier today with the kids. It was a little chilly and breezy, so I was sloppy carrying. I did not see any posted rules, but I was only in the areas north of the parking lot. When my kids arrived back home they exclaimed to Mom that "It was awesome!". The next time it's pouring rain we'll return to see the art that's attached to the downspouts of one of the buildings - should be cool.

The Environmental Education and Community center included two classrooms. There was also a sign that said this:

"Brightwater's amenities were made possible by community support. Over 60 groups, neighbors, and educators came together and asked for a park, gathering place, and environmental learning center. This vision was made possible thanks to a unique partnership between King County and Friends of the Hidden River, a local non-profit organization made up of teachers."

So I imagine the facilities will be used from time to time for school-related activities.

I did not see any typical picnic/bbq type facilities, but it looks like there's more work to be done.

Last edited:

fight4your_rights

Sadly the place looks too "upscale" for a BBQ :uhoh:

So here is a question... its in Snoho County physically... and its King Co property giving KCSO legal jurisdiction to enforce laws and take reports... So who shows up when the cops are called for the MWAG?

One would think that jurisdiction falls under Snohomish County and any crimes committed there would be prosecuted in SnoCo Superior Court. Since the facility is not within city boundaries a MWAG LE response will most likely come from SCSO.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
friends of the hidden river

????
LOL! There is actually a group that calls itself that? Friends of the hidden river of poop flowing into the plant? Ok,Ok.....I'm sorry, I do know they support the Little Bear Creek, but it's still funny.;)

I'm about 10 minutes from the site. Looks like I'll have to take a stroll there when the weather perks up.

It is interesting that it is a King county facility with the actual plant situated in Snohomish county. Woodinville has put considerable effort into annexing the Grace township for a number of years, so far to no avail. So Snohomish agencies still respond to the Grace Industrial neighborhood, with mutual aid from King County.

http://www.ci.woodinville.wa.us/Documents/Work/Grace Neighborhood MP DRAFT.pdf

MadHatter66

One would think that jurisdiction falls under Snohomish County and any crimes committed there would be prosecuted in SnoCo Superior Court. Since the facility is not within city boundaries a MWAG LE response will most likely come from SCSO.

Right,as a MWAG would be an in progress crime they probably have a mutual aid agreement set up. Probably something along the lines of Snoho will respond to in progress crimes and KingCo will handle not in progress and property crimes there and back Snoho on in progress details...

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
This came today.

Hello Mr. Laigaie,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are researching this issue and will provide a response within a week.

Thanks for contacting King County.

James (Jamie) Foulk | environmental planning & community relations
wastewater treatment division | king county
ph. 206-684-1942 | fax: 206-684-1278
email: james.foulk@kingcounty.gov
Web: www.kingcounty.gov/wtd/

John Hardin

Response received:

Dear Mr. Hardin:

I am writing in response to your email from November 23, included below. As I understand it, you believe that our rules for use of the public areas at Brightwater are not correct because they prohibit firearms in the public areas.

As you have indicated, under State law (RCW 9.41.290), the County cannot restrict the possession of firearms by persons visiting the public areas of the site. However, pursuant to RCW 9.41.300 the County and other municipalities may enact ordinances restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where they feel that there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized.

With that in mind, we will be looking to make the rules listed on our web site more in keeping with their intent, which was dealing with the discharge and use of weapons, not specifically with possessing them. I will also mention this to the project managers to look into whether we need to change or clarify the signs as well.

I hope this addresses your concerns. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Regards,

David Freed
King Co. Brightwater Project
22505 SR-9
Woodinville, WA 98072
206-263-9453

My reply:
This does address my concerns, so long as the rules respect self defense as provided in RCW 9.41.300(2)(a), and signage is not worded such that it may be interpreted by someone not familiar with the statute as a restriction on lawful possession of a firearm in the park, and such revisions don't take an inordinate amount of time to implement.

Thank you!

MadHatter66

That's too funny... I think "No Firearms or Weapons" is pretty clear in the intent to not allow firearms or weapons on their premises. It does not appear to speak to discharge and use of weapons in any way shape or form. Nice try on their part though :lol:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
"John Hardin
Response received:

Dear Mr. Hardin:

I am writing in response to your email from November 23, included below. As I understand it, you believe that our rules for use of the public areas at Brightwater are not correct because they prohibit firearms in the public areas.............................................."

I found the same message in my email today. ( It had my name on it tho, not John Hardin). Maybe I will send him the same response you did.

Last edited: