• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loaded oc question

Icarry2

Hi, I am new to this site as well as open carrying. Please excuse me if this question has already be en asked but #1 if I oc, can the magazine be loaded. And #2 can I open carry with a round loaded in the chamber? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

opencarryjoel

um yea?

Hi, I am new to this site as well as open carrying. Please excuse me if this question has already be en asked but #1 if I oc, can the magazine be loaded. And #2 can I open carry with a round loaded in the chamber? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

What good would a gun be if the durn thing wasn't loaded??

MilProGuy

Icarry2:

Absolutely carry your handgun loaded.

If, the one time in your life, you need to draw your handgun to defend yourself, the pistol should be ready to shoot with just a click of the safety.

By the way, welcome to the forum. :D

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Welcome to our world.

In answer to both of your questions - Yes, without any doubt, presuming you are not a prohibited person.

Good basic start is found here. Just follow the links and educate, educate yourself at every opportunity. :D

PracticalTactical

If it were up to me, there'd be a penalty for carrying in any condition other than cocked and locked. I'd rewrite 30-7-2 to read:

30-7-2. Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon.

Definitions:
In this section the term 'loaded' means: a firearm with a round seated in the chamber and fully cocked with safeties engaged if desired by the owner.

A. Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon consists of not carrying a concealed or openly visible loaded firearm or any other type of deadly weapon anywhere, except in the following cases:

(1) in the person's residence or on real property belonging to him as owner, lessee, tenant or licensee when sleeping, engaged in sexual acts or attending to hygiene, provided a loaded weapon is nearby and readily accessible but not to children, criminals or others unfit to carry a handgun.

(2) in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance when attending to any item listed in (1).

(3) by a person in possession of a valid conscientious objector license issued to him by the department of public safety pursuant to the provisions of the California Move-in Non-Carry Act [ 29-19-1 NMSA 1978 as amended by King PracticalTactical in the first year of his reign ].

(4) by a person who can show evidence of mental or physical impairment which prevents the carrying of arms or by a person under 16 years of age if the person has not attended firearms safety training.

(5) by a person in possession of a broadsword, obsidian-bladed club, mace, or baseball bat with nails and/or screws.

(6) by a person in possession of a loaded long-gun, destructive device, weapon of mass destruction, blaster, phaser, high-energy laser or noisy cricket.

(7) by a person intoxicated or impaired by any substance, provided the person has chosen a designated marksman who is not so impaired.

B. Nothing in this section shall be construed to permit the carrying of any handgun below .355-caliber or any unloaded handgun.

C. Whoever commits unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon is guilty of fourth-degree stupidity and ignorance as punishable by the Public Whipping and Shame Act of 20XX (as decreed by King PracticalTactical in the first year of his reign).

D. All Hail King PracticalTactical! (every law ends this way)

Last edited:

Icarry2

Thank you all for the useful information. Being new to open carry, I wanted to find out as much as I could to make sure I am carrying lawfully. Happy thanksgiving!