Thread: Robber Killed by Store Clerk While Scooping Up Cash Is 'Victim'

Robber Killed by Store Clerk While Scooping Up Cash Is 'Victim'

"Victim" was suspect in apparent robbery attempt

The "victim", who was struck multiple times, collapsed right in front of the counter.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fi...th-Toledo.html

Didn't you know? He's a victim, because he was a good boy in the process of "turning his life around".

"The two adult male suspects were in the process of emptying the store's cash register when the clerk fatally shot one of them"

We need more info.
    Did they have a gun or knife, or is this only a disparity of numbers issue & they'd threatened him?
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

heresay but...

one of the comments down from the initial store mentioned saw'd off shotguns...

wabbit

Who's on First?

Reading that was almost like listening to the "Who's on First" joke...

Figuring out who they were talking about, victim or suspect, with such poor journalism can make your head spin.

Quote Originally Posted by donny View Post
    The "victim" was shot more than ten times:

http://tinyurl.com/6vzslfp

The Victim was the store clerk and from my understanding did not get shot at all.

If the perp was shot 10 times, so what? You shoot to stop the threat and if it takes 10, then 10 it is.

Would this matter if it was a LEO involved shooting? Leos have been known to shoot their perps way more times.

Banned
    The deceased was a victim of a shooting. The use of the word "victim" does not mean that the shooting was neither deserved nor justified. If he was in the act of robbing the store while armed, as it appears he was, then his victimhood was both deserved and justified (morally if not legally).

That the robber was the victim of a shooting does not preclude the clerk from being a victim of a robbery. "Victim," as it was applied to the robber, is not inaccurate. It is unfortunate--only because of how some would react to the appellation.

It is not inaccurate by definition alone, but the article gives a certain slant that will taint the majority's perception of events.

Banned
    I reread the article and saw no slant at all--unless one infers that the calling the robber a "victim" means that his being shot was somehow nefarious. It doesn't. The onus for not making that incorrect inference rests with the reader.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    The deceased was a victim of a shooting. The use of the word "victim" does not mean that the shooting was neither deserved nor justified. If he was in the act of robbing the store while armed, as it appears he was, then his victimhood was both deserved and justified (morally if not legally).

That the robber was the victim of a shooting does not preclude the clerk from being a victim of a robbery. "Victim," as it was applied to the robber, is not inaccurate. It is unfortunate--only because of how some would react to the appellation.
    People have wondered where you've been. Glad you are OK.

I still say it is too nice to call the robber a victim under any circumstances.

When you set yourself up for disaster, you are no longer a victim of anything except for your own stupidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

Justice was served.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I reread the article and saw no slant at all--unless one infers that the calling the robber a "victim" means that his being shot was somehow nefarious. It doesn't.
    I agree, but we live in an emotionally ruled society, and most do not have the clarity to see things this way. That is where I see the "slant." I'm not implying the author did so deliberately, and I'll concede it may only be my perspective.

The onus for not making that incorrect inference rests with the reader.
    Agreed, and, that's sort of my point. Most readers do not have the capacity for critical thinking to read things without such prejudice.