Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Republican candidates.

  1. #1
    Regular Member Johnburns15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lexington, ky
    Posts
    154

    Republican candidates.

    I was browsing lex 18 mobile app earlier and come across a story I thought everyone here would be interested in.

    http://www.lex18.com/news/gun-issue-...tics-for-obama


    WASHINGTON (AP) - They are fuzzy about some issues but the Republican presidential candidates leave little doubt about where they stand on gun rights.

    Rick Perry and Rick Santorum go pheasant hunting and give interviews before heading out. Newt Gingrich and Herman Cain speak to the National Rifle Association convention. Michele Bachmann tells People magazine she wants to teach her daughters how to shoot because women need to be able to protect themselves. Mitt Romney, after backing some gun control measures in Massachusetts, now presents himself as a strong Second Amendment supporter.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Olive Hill, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnburns15 View Post
    I was browsing lex 18 mobile app earlier and come across a story I thought everyone here would be interested in.

    http://www.lex18.com/news/gun-issue-...tics-for-obama


    WASHINGTON (AP) - They are fuzzy about some issues but the Republican presidential candidates leave little doubt about where they stand on gun rights.

    Rick Perry and Rick Santorum go pheasant hunting and give interviews before heading out. Newt Gingrich and Herman Cain speak to the National Rifle Association convention. Michele Bachmann tells People magazine she wants to teach her daughters how to shoot because women need to be able to protect themselves. Mitt Romney, after backing some gun control measures in Massachusetts, now presents himself as a strong Second Amendment supporter.
    The only one I worry about is Mitt. However, if he is the candidate, he has my vote.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Johnburns15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lexington, ky
    Posts
    154
    I agree. He's the only one I'd be worried about. But from the sounds of it, he's changed his views on the second amendment. Let's just hope it stays that way

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567
    And what about Ron Paul? The only candidate that isn't saying whatever it takes to get elected.
    What's his stance on guns?

    Oh yea, if you think Romney is a strong 2A guy then you're a fool.

    sent from my phone, excuse my grammar/spelling errors
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  5. #5
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    And what about Ron Paul? The only candidate that isn't saying whatever it takes to get elected.
    What's his stance on guns?

    Oh yea, if you think Romney is a strong 2A guy then you're a fool.

    sent from my phone, excuse my grammar/spelling errors
    I'm a strong supporter of Ron Paul, but to be honest, This is a center-left, and center-right nation. Ron has as much of a chance of being elected, as a non-straight, non-white, non-christian has of being elected as Kentucky (or other southern state) Governor. Even if he's on the republican ticket, he doesn't have the media, or tabloids in his back pocket, nor the backing of corrupt, key politicians.

    Just do what every voter does, vote for the lesser evil. I'll go with Cain. Mitt is too northern, too double-faced for my vote; Newt... who want's a president whose first name is that of a lizard? lol. And Bachmann and her Family Research Council connections... Leaves a sour taste in my muzzle.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnburns15 View Post
    I agree. He's the only one I'd be worried about. But from the sounds of it, he's changed his views on the second amendment. Let's just hope it stays that way
    I think Romney would throw the RKBA under the bus in a heart beat to pass an initiative he wants, much like Obama threw gun control under the bus to get stuff he wanted (credit car reform and the concealed carry in national parks).

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    And what about Ron Paul? The only candidate that isn't saying whatever it takes to get elected.
    What's his stance on guns?

    Oh yea, if you think Romney is a strong 2A guy then you're a fool.

    sent from my phone, excuse my grammar/spelling errors
    exactly what I was going to say.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07
    Even if he's on the republican ticket, he doesn't have the media, or tabloids in his back pocket, nor the backing of corrupt, key politicians.
    and that's hurting his chances?
    Last edited by PistolPackingMomma; 11-25-2011 at 04:08 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    and that's hurting his chances?
    Not being picked by the media and special interest groups make winning an election more difficult. They media likes Romney more than the others. Here are some of my thoughts on the 2012 election. I think Indiana and North Carolina will be republican regardless of who the candidate is. As far as electability (in the general election) I rank the candidates like this:



    1. Mitt Romney - He will carry all the states McCain won and can win Ohio, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Colorado, New Mexico, Iowa, and Nevada. That would give him 282 electoral votes enough for the win. I think he is too much like Obama to energize the conservative voters a republican needs to win Florida.
    2. Rick Perry- I think he can win Florida but will lose Ohio and Pennsylvania. 273 electoral votes for Perry. (Perry is must learn to speak soon)
    -270 is the number to win-
    3. Rick Santorum- I think he would win Pennsylvania but not Florida or Ohio. 264 electoral votes for Santorum
    4. Herman Cain- I don't think he can win Florida, Ohio, or Pennslyvania. Cain gets 244 electoral votes.
    5. Ron Paul- I don't think he carries anything outside the solid conservative bloc. Paul pulls 205 electoral votes.
    Last edited by garyh9900; 11-25-2011 at 05:58 PM.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    I'm a strong supporter of Ron Paul, but to be honest, This is a center-left, and center-right nation. Ron has as much of a chance of being elected, as a non-straight, non-white, non-christian has of being elected as Kentucky (or other southern state) Governor. Even if he's on the republican ticket, he doesn't have the media, or tabloids in his back pocket, nor the backing of corrupt, key politicians.

    Just do what every voter does, vote for the lesser evil. I'll go with Cain. Mitt is too northern, too double-faced for my vote; Newt... who want's a president whose first name is that of a lizard? lol. And Bachmann and her Family Research Council connections... Leaves a sour taste in my muzzle.
    You are a part of the problem. As long as DrakeZ07 votes this nation will have **** for leaders.

    If you'd turn off FOX news and do some research you'd see that Ron Paul is very successful at the polls, and he receives more donations than any of your "front runners." By more donations I don't mean a dollar figure, I mean he receives more from individuals who care and who vote, not millions at a time from corporations.

    Drake, this is a left or right nation because people like you won't vote otherwise. If everyone continues to think like you nothing will get fixed. Not everyone is "okay" with compromising freedom - which is exactly what you're doing if you vote for any of these patriot act loving cronies.

    I don't care about "Ron Paul," I care about the constitution and this nation, and Ron Paul just happens to be the only mother ****** that is willing to strictly follow the constitution to fix it. He has a history of supporting the constitution and taking serious his oath to support it. To vote for anyone else is treason IMO.
    Last edited by Schlitz; 11-25-2011 at 06:55 PM.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    917
    +1 Schlitz I hate it when people think that they have to vote for the 'lesser of two evils' and tell me that I'm 'throwing my vote away' when I vote third party. I'd be throwing my vote away if I didn't vote for the best person for the job.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567
    If Ron Paul doesn't win the primaries I might vote for Obama for trolling purposes.

    Pretty much - if my fellow Americans aren't going to try to take the constitution serious then I'll just vote in the people running us into the ground. The sooner we fall the sooner we can rebuild. OBAMA 2012 FOR THE LULZ TROLOLOLOL

    sent from my phone, excuse my grammar/spelling errors
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    If Ron Paul doesn't win the primaries I might vote for Obama for trolling purposes.
    That won't be "trolling purposes", it will be flipping a coin between the (D) and whichever (R)ino gets the nomination.

    I do get your point. My whole family voted RP for the 2008 primaries, then wrote in RP in the general election, even though we knew our votes wouldn't be counted in Texas.

    I'll do it again. Gary Johnson is a close second. Newt McBomneycain is no different than the current officeholder, so there's no reason to even go there.

  13. #13
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    You are a part of the problem. As long as DrakeZ07 votes this nation will have **** for leaders.

    If you'd turn off FOX news and do some research you'd see that Ron Paul is very successful at the polls, and he receives more donations than any of your "front runners." By more donations I don't mean a dollar figure, I mean he receives more from individuals who care and who vote, not millions at a time from corporations.

    Drake, this is a left or right nation because people like you won't vote otherwise. If everyone continues to think like you nothing will get fixed. Not everyone is "okay" with compromising freedom - which is exactly what you're doing if you vote for any of these patriot act loving cronies.

    I don't care about "Ron Paul," I care about the constitution and this nation, and Ron Paul just happens to be the only mother ****** that is willing to strictly follow the constitution to fix it. He has a history of supporting the constitution and taking serious his oath to support it. To vote for anyone else is treason IMO.
    If Ron is so successful at the polls, how come he didn't win the last election? A person who receives, say, a few hundred grand from 10 people, isn't going to have the popularity of a few hundred thousand people giving a dollar each. Numbers count, and when you have large numbers giving large dollars, it overrules a small group giving even more per person.

    Hmm, right, because of people like me, who see through the veil of the system, and knows how it really operates, and understands that a small group CANNOT change the system; it's simply our fault for not doing enough to change things, yep, blame it on me. I don't really see you doing much to change things, other than having a blind loyalty for RP, and following him around like a whipped pup, voting for him in every poll and election, stealing votes from other people, democrat OR republican who could actually make a difference if you took the time away from worshiping RP, and actually looked at each person running on a state and federal level with an unbiased view.

    Hmm, "to vote for anyone else is treason..." My apologies, obviously I had no idea that the USA was a one-party system, and that voting for someone other than the one YOU want me to vote for, is treason and punishable by death; Why, I'm going to reconsider and vote for someone because a guy on the internet tells me to vote for said person. Dear Gods, how could I have even entertained the idea that I could, should, and had the RIGHT to vote for someone I WANTED TO. Please forgive me of my wrong doing, Herr Schlitz; I will forever praise you with a thousand Sieg Heils for setting me right, and not only telling me, but showing me who I should, and should not vote for.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,929
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    If Ron is so successful at the polls, how come he didn't win the last election?
    Because Obama was running, and America had to prove we weren't racist by electing our first black president. The only person that could have beaten Obama in that election would have been another black politician from the North East.

    Hmm, right, because of people like me, who see through the veil of the system, and knows how it really operates, and understands that a small group CANNOT change the system; it's simply our fault for not doing enough to change things, yep, blame it on me.
    Why can't a small group change the system? If every rain drop contributes, eventually you have a flood. It sounds like you are saying that there is no point in trying, because you can already predict the outcome.

    I don't really see you doing much to change things, other than having a blind loyalty for RP, and following him around like a whipped pup, voting for him in every poll and election, stealing votes from other people, democrat OR republican who could actually make a difference if you took the time away from worshiping RP, and actually looked at each person running on a state and federal level with an unbiased view.
    So wait a minute, endorsing a non-mainstream candidate is stealing votes from those who "could actually make a difference"? Last time I checked, our votes were our own to cast to whomever we want. No potential nominee is entitled to anyone's vote just because the media gives them more air time than others. F*ck, could you imagine how much more leveled the playing field would be if every candidate was given the same question and the same amount of air time, instead of spot lighting one or two of them in some damn popularity contest?

    Hmm, "to vote for anyone else is treason..." My apologies, obviously I had no idea that the USA was a one-party system, and that voting for someone other than the one YOU want me to vote for, is treason and punishable by death; Why, I'm going to reconsider and vote for someone because a guy on the internet tells me to vote for said person.
    Pot, meet kettle. You're telling us we shouldn't let RP "steal" our votes away, aren't you? Perhaps open your mind to other candidates and pick the one who aligns best with your values, rather than siding with the one the media picks. If enough people start to see this way, we could take back the power of election and finally have a say in our nation's future, rather than just lamenting that there isn't any point...

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567

    l2read

    Quote Originally Posted by Drake
    ]A person who receives, say, a few hundred grand from 10 people, isn't going to have the popularity of a few hundred thousand people giving a dollar each. Numbers count, and when you have large numbers giving large dollars, it overrules a small group giving even more per person.
    Right, this statement supports Ron Paul as a front runner. Did you even read what I said? You're responding to me making the same point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz
    he receives more donations than any of your "front runners." By more donations I don't mean a dollar figure, I mean he receives more from individuals who care and who vote, not millions at a time from corporations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake
    it's simply our fault for not doing enough to change things, yep, blame it on me.
    Yes, as long as you understand that above the rest. This IS the fault of the people who vote based off the lesser of two evils. It is your fault. We do blame you guys.


    Quote Originally Posted by Drake
    I don't really see you doing much to change things, other than having a blind loyalty for RP, and following him around like a whipped pup, voting for him in every poll and election, stealing votes from other people, democrat OR republican who could actually make a difference if you took the time away from worshiping RP, and actually looked at each person running on a state and federal level with an unbiased view.
    Blindly following Ron Paul? Did you read what I had said?

    Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz
    I don't care about "Ron Paul," I care about the constitution and this nation, and Ron Paul just happens to be the only mother ****** that is willing to strictly follow the constitution to fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake
    ]Hmm, "to vote for anyone else is treason..." My apologies, obviously I had no idea that the USA was a one-party system, and that voting for someone other than the one YOU want me to vote for, is treason and punishable by death; Why, I'm going to reconsider and vote for someone because a guy on the internet tells me to vote for said person. Dear Gods, how could I have even entertained the idea that I could, should, and had the RIGHT to vote for someone I WANTED TO. Please forgive me of my wrong doing, Herr Schlitz; I will forever praise you with a thousand Sieg Heils for setting me right, and not only telling me, but showing me who I should, and should not vote for.
    troll troll troll your boat, gently down the stream!

    Your reading comprehension is lacking...or you're trolling. The point I was making was ron paul specifically, the point I was trying to make was this. To vote for a candidate who will trash the constitution is IMO an act of treason against your country. At this moment, Ron Paul is the only candidate that supported the constitution, not bits and pieces of it.
    Last edited by Schlitz; 11-26-2011 at 11:59 AM.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  16. #16
    Regular Member MilProGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    That won't be "trolling purposes", it will be flipping a coin between the (D) and whichever (R)ino gets the nomination.
    And...a vote which will enable the current president to take our country even further down the road to his (Obama's) idealistic socialist state.

    But hey, 52.8% of the Americans who voted last time saw fit to put him in office in the first place.
    Last edited by MilProGuy; 11-26-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: edited for clarity
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

    Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired


  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    And...a vote which will enable the current president to take our country even further down the road to his (Obama's) idealistic socialist state.
    That's the point. If my fellow Americans won't get serious about restoring the constitution then I'm inclined to vote for the socialist to troll them. Why slow it down?



    "FREEDOM IS BACK IN STYLE, WELCOME TO THE REVOLUTION!!!! HEY GUIZ WELCOME TO THE SEAN HANNITY SHOW, TODAY WE'LL BE TALKING DIRT ABOUT THOSE NASTY DEMOCRATS WANTING TO RUIN THE CONSTITUTION AND IN OUR NEXT CONVERSATION WE'LL BE WORSHIPING THE PATRIOT ACT AND RICK PERRY" lol@republican media
    Last edited by Schlitz; 11-26-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Paul is the most pro 2A candidate in the race. BTW, he also has more donations from the military than Obama. Oh, and more than the rest of the republican candidates combined.

    Ron's doing great in the polls in the early primary states. Tied for 1st in Iowa and in 2nd in NH. These are the polls that matter at the moment, not so much the national polls. People in the early states are paying a lot more attention.

    I'm willing to bet he takes 1st or 2nd in Iowa. Probably 2nd or 3rd in NH; IF he doesn't win Iowa. Who knows what happens if the democrats change party affiliation to vote for RP in large numbers like many are planning to do. Most polls don't take that into account.

    One thing I can pretty much guarantee is that if RP doesn't win the nomination Obama will have a second term. Why? Conservative estimates have RP's ardent supporters at 10%. They WON'T vote for anyone else. That's plenty to assure an Obama victory.

    I'm honestly starting to believe that the establishment republican powers that be would rather have Obama than a true, honest to goodness small government conservative. That way they don't get showed up and can still pretend they're different than the democrats.
    Last edited by Brass Magnet; 11-26-2011 at 12:16 PM.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  19. #19
    Regular Member DangerClose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The mean streets of WI
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    If Ron is so successful at the polls, how come he didn't win the last election?
    People were far more braindead back in 2008. People laughed at talk of auditing The Fed, of country-destroying debt, etc. Fox News practically blackballed Ron Paul. A mere three years later, and things are a bit different. Not to mention the voters put their hope in Obama who has since broken numerous promises to them. Obama will not be as popular this time as last time.

    Back in 2008, Ron Paul himself said things are looking up since those for him or for Libertarian/Independent candidates got more votes than in the past, and did it with most of the media against them. (Something like that. I'm paraphrasing.) Even if Ron Paul loses, he's already won. If the full desired outcome doesn't happen this time, it still sets the stage for the future.

    Establishment Republicans are afraid of Ron Paul because they know he'll actually do what he says if elected. Establishment Republicans love big government.

    Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    "FREEDOM IS BACK IN STYLE, WELCOME TO THE REVOLUTION!!!! HEY GUIZ WELCOME TO THE SEAN HANNITY SHOW, TODAY WE'LL BE TALKING DIRT ABOUT THOSE NASTY DEMOCRATS WANTING TO RUIN THE CONSTITUTION AND IN OUR NEXT CONVERSATION WE'LL BE WORSHIPING THE PATRIOT ACT AND RICK PERRY" lol@republican media

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •