• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What would it take for you to revolt?

carry for myself

another troll posting trying to get answers to further their armchair warrior scheme of world disarming.............

--Moderator Caution--
--Cease personal attacks--

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
another troll posting trying to get answers to further their armchair warrior scheme of world disarming.............

How many times must some people be reminded to address the issue, not attack people.

There is no evidence that the OP has made other than a legitimate request. Agree that not many here will likely respond productively to such an overly broad set of questions.

All should be cautioned to review rule#15 to avoid thread lock.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Daylen

How many times must some people be reminded to address the issue, not attack people.

There is no evidence that the OP has made other than a legitimate request. Agree that not many here will likely respond productively to such an overly broad set of questions.

All should be cautioned to review rule#15 to avoid thread lock.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

I'm surprised the thread made it this long considering #15 and the topic.

Dreamer

I am doing an essay relating to the 2nd amendment and revolutions. What did it take for our founding fathers to revolt? what would it take for you to revolt? Is the government doing any of those things? Thought provoking.

There are many people--in VERY high places of the US and State Governments--who ALREADY think that the majority of the people in the US are revolting.

And THAT, dear friend, is the problem--our Servants think they are our Masters, and they think that WE are somehow beneath them...

ncwabbit

my thoughts

grapeshot: How many times must some people be reminded to address the issue, not attack people.

humm, based on those who currently govern; based on the recent Occupied movement activities; based on the events on the WI teacher issue earlier this year; based on the committee's inaction; and based on the current political election rethoric, i would say multiple times...

and that is my answer to the op's question...

wabbit

okboomer

For me, there are very specific situations that I would believe call for revolt ... however, all of them require the Government or it's Agents to "complete" certain actions ... all of which are still currently AGAINST THE LAW in this country ... as long as the Government or it's Agents adheres to the law, they have nothing to fear from me ... and it would take an extraordinary set of circumstances for me to even begin to consider active participation in any movement to take up arms against the Government.

Either way, discussing revolt or the circumstances in which I would consider that, are all protected by the 1A ... discussion is not an act of treason no matter how it is spun by government agents. Stockpiling material against the possibility of revolt/economic collapse/etc. is not an act in furtherance ... it is just plain common sense and a traditional American value to "be prepared."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
....snip....
discussing revolt or the circumstances in which I would consider that, are all protected by the 1A .............

More or less so, except here on OCDO where the focus is more narrow and restrictive by intent. The goal here is the normalization of the right to open carry handguns in our normal everyday lives. When we stray too far from that theme, we lose sight of this goal. Worse yet some insist a subject is germane and try to force acceptance of their pet issue - referring to their "rights."

The Social Lounge was created to allow many/most things not otherwise directly allowed - movies, vehicles et al. Appropriateness or not will be decided on an individual, case by case basis - not necessarily by black letter rule. More to the point, espousing armed revolution, associating OCDO with para-military thinking/actions are examples that come to mind in which OCDO should not and will not participate.

No intent to challenge you okboomer - my mind just accelerated and turned that corner. :D

j4l

I'll take the 5th, as far as what it would take ME to do so.
The real question you need to ask it what would it take to get MOST of the people, these days, to do so.
Consider our current "society" as it now stands.

Most will bitch and moan till the stars burn out about this, that, or the other issue- but come time to vote towards changing things in their favor, and...no where to be found.If you cant even pry them away from watching American Idol long enough to pull a lever, or scribble into a box on a form, how do you think they'd ever take an actual revolutionary action of some kind?

Most will whine and moan about their "rights" being violated , if not eliminated altogether, yet few-if any- will bother to avail themselves of one of thier greatest rights- to run for office themselves, or support/assist someone like them who will....

You've got a large portion of our "society" who will sit there and watch a dozen or so Islamic fanatics kill upwards of 2000 of their fellow citizens in a single attack- and then actually not only question whether it was "an inside job" but actually sit there and debate whether we should go to war over it...
:rolleyes:

A revolt? Really? With this bunch of panty-waisted, hyper-sensistive candyasses we have for citizens nowdays? That would be a huge inconvenience, and take entirely too much time away from Facebook, youtube, American Idol, yapping all day on cell phones, and texting the rest of the day away...

ncwabbit

horrors

Grapeshot: conversation(s), per se, do not lead to heresay...however narrow control could exacerbate the situation. as you are fond of saying...let's stay focused and not try to postulate where or what is around the next corner

j4l: the use of social media was one of the main contributors in the Mubarak's Egyptian government demise and perhaps should be considered the replacement of the lantern used by those assisting paul...the folks running the BART realized that and shut it down their communication grid based solely on the premise there might be trouble...interestingly, there was minimal backlash...humm wonder if that was a government experiment to see what the populace would do...

also of interest in the demise of Mubarak's control was the military's restraint in firing on the Egyptian populace. Now that the military is in control, they now find it necessary to control said populace with violence....wonder if our military and police would show such restraint?? opps sorry i might be rounding a corner i shouldn't...

wabbit

Last edited:

j4l

Grapeshot: conversation(s), per se, do not lead to heresay...however narrow control could exacerbate the situation. as you are fond of saying...let's stay focused and not try to postulate where or what is around the next corner

j4l: the use of social media was one of the main contributors in the Mubarak's Egyptian government demise and perhaps should be considered the replacement of the lantern used by those assisting paul...the folks running the BART realized that and shut it down their communication grid based solely on the premise there might be trouble...interestingly, there was minimal backlash...humm wonder if that was a government experiment to see what the populace would do...

also of interest in the demise of Mubarak's control was the military's restraint in firing on the Egyptian populace. Now that the military is in control, they now find it necessary to control said populace with violence....wonder if our military and police would show such restraint?? opps sorry i might be rounding a corner i shouldn't...

wabbit

Good point- in regards to a more modern/faster method of communicating/coordinating.
But the net, and social media, and cell phones didnt bring down Mubarak, itself. There were a ton of other factors, many of them behind the scenes, and a lot of them funded by some not-so-friendly (to us or the west) outfits. Had his assets the will or the sense to do so, they could easily have controlled,jammed or simply shut down all of that fairly easily.

ncwabbit

ah reminds me of a french proverb..

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose *

Many many years ago in a far off land called Persia lived a perceived tyrant of the country's people called Shah who had to deal w/a personal foe who was broadcasting anti Shah rethoric throughout the country over the loud speakers of the neighborhood mosque's minaret. Shah supporters, managed to cut off the local mosque's electricity in most neighborhood during prayer time(s) to prevent the rethoric from reaching the masses. (masterfully and selectively accomplished as it was targeted to mosques and not say to the hospital next door to the mosque). the mosque's imam could not hollar loud enough to over come the local traffic and other community noise so instead of reaching masses they only reached a handfull of the foe's supporters. alas, a powerful third party interjected their will and convienced other nations to push the Shah to follow suit so unfortunately the Shah listened and restrained his military against those who threatened his reign and ultimately had to leave the country to the current regime... much to the regret of the majority of the world.

and you are absolutely correct on the other factors being involved in egypt (pesky powerful third party instigators again eh..) but remember it only took a short period of time with a modern communcation infrastructure in place and without military support to have Mubarak conceed and how much longer Qadahfi maintained control w/o the modern communication infrastructure in his country and his military supporting him to maintain control (except w/those pesky third party instigators kept those against Qadahfi well supplied w/satfones and other overthrow goods and services.

BTW there are other instances throughout the current world where the miliary leaders do not hesitate to regain control of a country, Türkei, Pakistan, Philippines and a few other immediately come to mind when it appears, in their opinion, the civilian leaders are going somewhere they do not approve.

Always remember, 'one person's freedom fighter is another's terrorist!' (08/06/06, George Galloway, Parliament Member, so stated during an interview with Skywatch news in defense of Hizbollah and the fight of Lebanon against Isreal)

*The proverb is of French origin and was originally used by the French novelist Alphonse Karr (1808-90). It also appears in George Bernard Shaw's 'Revolutionist's Handbook' (1903).

wabbit

j4l

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose *

Many many years ago in a far off land called Persia lived a perceived tyrant of the country's people called Shah who had to deal w/a personal foe who was broadcasting anti Shah rethoric throughout the country over the loud speakers of the neighborhood mosque's minaret. Shah supporters, managed to cut off the local mosque's electricity in most neighborhood during prayer time(s) to prevent the rethoric from reaching the masses. (masterfully and selectively accomplished as it was targeted to mosques and not say to the hospital next door to the mosque). the mosque's imam could not hollar loud enough to over come the local traffic and other community noise so instead of reaching masses they only reached a handfull of the foe's supporters. alas, a powerful third party interjected their will and convienced other nations to push the Shah to follow suit so unfortunately the Shah listened and restrained his military against those who threatened his reign and ultimately had to leave the country to the current regime... much to the regret of the majority of the world.

and you are absolutely correct on the other factors being involved in egypt (pesky powerful third party instigators again eh..) but remember it only took a short period of time with a modern communcation infrastructure in place and without military support to have Mubarak conceed and how much longer Qadahfi maintained control w/o the modern communication infrastructure in his country and his military supporting him to maintain control (except w/those pesky third party instigators kept those against Qadahfi well supplied w/satfones and other overthrow goods and services.

BTW there are other instances throughout the current world where the miliary leaders do not hesitate to regain control of a country, Türkei, Pakistan, Philippines and a few other immediately come to mind when it appears, in their opinion, the civilian leaders are going somewhere they do not approve.

Always remember, 'one person's freedom fighter is another's terrorist!' (08/06/06, George Galloway, Parliament Member, so stated during an interview with Skywatch news in defense of Hizbollah and the fight of Lebanon against Isreal)

*The proverb is of French origin and was originally used by the French novelist Alphonse Karr (1808-90). It also appears in George Bernard Shaw's 'Revolutionist's Handbook' (1903).

wabbit

Lol. Quoting the French on anything militarily/etc. since their own revolution...might as well consult some 4th-world pre-schoolers.
(although, they have shown some improvement re: Islamist/Pirates of late...)

:dude:

We can debate the Shah in any number of other topics, all day long- but the end result of his over-throw speaks for itself.May not have been the nicest guy in the world (from the perspective of an Islamic fanatic willing to blow themself up to take U and ME out) but....oh well.
The real difference between Gadaffi and Mubarak had less to do with social media/communications or technology, and a LOT more to do with a willingness to cling to power, a certain mentality (or lack therof) and an ability to "hire" foriegn mercs to do his real fighting vs. a well-trained/equipped and reasonably modern, standing military that didnt entirely like their leader to begin with.