Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Black Friday

  1. #1
    Regular Member DontTreadOnMeVa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    132

    Black Friday

    Well the little lady is out black Friday shopping. I made sure she had everything she needed before going out into the craziness. ...including making sure she was carrying. Not sure if she will be, open, conceal or sloppy carrying today and dont really care. I just feel better knowing she is carrying.

    If you have a someone that does carry some of the time, but maybe not always, you might want to encourage them to carry if they are holiday shopping. One never knows when one might need ones firearm, but during the holidays the chances are higher.

    Plus, I like the smile I get when I mention, "I am just worried about you! You know the holidays are far from the safest time of year like they should be! I just want you safe, ok?"



    I am so good, Santa should put a Mossberg 500 Cruiser under the tree for me!

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Not sure if she will be, open, conceal or sloppy carrying today and dont really care. I just feel better knowing she is carrying.
    I'd be very concerned if she was carrying sloppily. There's no need to either scratch up a gun unnecessarily or forget where you dropped it because you were not paying attention.

    Carrying while shopping is a good reason to use a retention holster - your attention is diverted away from both the handgun and what is generally taking place areound you.

    Black Frday shopping may be a good reason/excuse to OC - yes I'm playing to te antis' hysteria at the mere sight of a gun. But at least it might save a fight over that last whatevertheheckitis that she and some other shopper both seem to think they just must have or civilization as they know it will end.

    I live several miles from the nearest shopping outlet. Today, especially, I am grateful for that fact. I have watched the TV news and seen the pictures of the crowds at the malls and on the highways. I am busy practicing my bug-in skills today. I am going to take the opoportunity to see how many different ways leftover turkey and stuffing can be prepared without resorting to the use of bacon.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  3. #3
    Regular Member DontTreadOnMeVa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I'd be very concerned if she was carrying sloppily. There's no need to either scratch up a gun unnecessarily or forget where you dropped it because you were not paying attention.

    Carrying while shopping is a good reason to use a retention holster - your attention is diverted away from both the handgun and what is generally taking place areound you.
    I guess I should clarify what I mean by sloppy. I am referring to carrying in a way that is not clearly open or concealed. Such as having a coat that covers the firearm most, but not all the time. I often carry in such a way in winter. It comes form basically not caring if someone sees or not.

    I just got a call from her, wants to have breakfast at the village inn.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Billy D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    detroit
    Posts
    56
    Just got a great deal on a gun safe, oyu know the one that has the combination lock that you dont need to see to open... so I got 2 of em! reg $140 got em for $59 each!
    My 2nd amedment rights trump some paranoid persons ignorance.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    943
    When I head out to do Black Friday shopping, I'm always carrying. Last year, I CC'd during the event (didn't want my mom, who was visiting from CA, to freak out).

    This year, I'm doing Black Friday from my couch, and since I don't have a holster that matches my fuzzy slippers, I'm not carrying at the moment.

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    It's going to be near 70 today and tomorrow. The Government has to be to blame....... anyway,
    I hate hunting Deer in the heat so I'm gonna drive to the city, put my 800mm lens on the 7D, swap my Super Blackhawk for the 1911 and photo....BLACK FRIDAY SHOPPERS

    Should be better n a 3 Stooges movie

  7. #7
    Regular Member JamesB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    ... I am going to take the opoportunity to see how many different ways leftover turkey and stuffing can be prepared without resorting to the use of bacon...

    stay safe.
    I recommend green chili enchiladas.
    Last edited by JamesB; 11-25-2011 at 02:05 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    66
    I OC'd my glock 19 in a serpa holster with 75 rounds of FMJ at the walmart from 10 pm till 12:30am. No issues, met a CC man who goes to the same range/shop I go to.

    Was p***** that I couldn't buy bullets........
    Last edited by gm2max; 11-25-2011 at 02:13 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Lincoln7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Isle of Wight County, Virginia
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by gm2max View Post
    Was pissed that I couldn't buy bullets........
    I didn't know Walmart sold reloading supplies.

  10. #10
    Lone Star Veteran DrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln7 View Post
    I didn't know Walmart sold reloading supplies.
    They're typically sold in neat little packages, with one bullet, one case, one primer, and a dab of powder combined in one little unit, and packaged in sets of 50, 20 etc.


  11. #11
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    They're typically sold in neat little packages, with one bullet, one case, one primer, and a dab of powder combined in one little unit, and packaged in sets of 50, 20 etc.

    Is that what those are. I've often wondered what kind of bullets cost 45 bucks. I make all mine from wheelweights so I'm iggernent about ready rolls.

    What will they think of next?

  12. #12
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln7 View Post
    I didn't know Walmart sold reloading supplies.
    lol
    The new walmart by me didn't have the rossi $130 special(not like I wanted it but just wanted to see) They only got blackpowered/muzleloaders guns right now and loads of ammo
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 11-26-2011 at 03:53 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  13. #13
    Regular Member hgreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Centreville, VA
    Posts
    470
    I OC'd at Walmart in Fairfax around 11pm-12am, Kohls, 12am-1:30am then Target in Chantilly around 2-3am.
    Walked right by several FFX county cops in the stores and parking lots without any interaction.

    Had many convos with folks while waiting in line to check-out and not a single mention of the OC status.

    OC still didn't keep people from shoving me in the crowds though, too crowded for people to see as well as most were too self-absorbed to be aware of what anyone else was doing or carrying.

    Just glad I wasn't in CA where that lady was pepper spraying people to get a deal. Its my opinion that if you are threatened with pepper spray by someone that you'd be justified in using lethal force as pepper spray can inflict great bodily harm.

  14. #14
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by hgreen View Post
    I OC'd at Walmart in Fairfax around 11pm-12am, Kohls, 12am-1:30am then Target in Chantilly around 2-3am.
    Walked right by several FFX county cops in the stores and parking lots without any interaction.

    Had many convos with folks while waiting in line to check-out and not a single mention of the OC status.

    OC still didn't keep people from shoving me in the crowds though, too crowded for people to see as well as most were too self-absorbed to be aware of what anyone else was doing or carrying.

    Just glad I wasn't in CA where that lady was pepper spraying people to get a deal. Its my opinion that if you are threatened with pepper spray by someone that you'd be justified in using lethal force as pepper spray can inflict great bodily harm.

  15. #15
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,628
    Quote Originally Posted by hgreen View Post
    --snip--

    Just glad I wasn't in CA where that lady was pepper spraying people to get a deal. Its my opinion that if you are threatened with pepper spray by someone that you'd be justified in using lethal force as pepper spray can inflict great bodily harm.
    Not so. Such a response is way over the top and could well qualify you for a life time of free room and board compliments of the Commonwealth.

    One of the things we stress over and over is that use of lethal force should be a last resort. Even if you were actually sprayed, you would likely find the prosecutor suggesting that you escalated the incident. Understand that I am only responding to the limited circumstances you have defined - other things might alter that. In this case you specified "threatened" and then jumped to "using lethal force."
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  16. #16
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMeVa View Post
    Well the little lady is out black Friday shopping. I made sure she had everything she needed before going out into the craziness. ...including making sure she was carrying. Not sure if she will be, open, conceal or sloppy carrying today and dont really care. I just feel better knowing she is carrying.

    If you have a someone that does carry some of the time, but maybe not always, you might want to encourage them to carry if they are holiday shopping. One never knows when one might need ones firearm, but during the holidays the chances are higher.

    Plus, I like the smile I get when I mention, "I am just worried about you! You know the holidays are far from the safest time of year like they should be! I just want you safe, ok?"



    I am so good, Santa should put a Mossberg 500 Cruiser under the tree for me!

    I wouldn't wish a Mossberg upon ANYONE! They tend to fall apart at the wrong time. At least spend a couple $$ and get a quality shotgun like a Remington or better. You won't regret it. We had Mossbergs when I first went in the service and changed over to Remingtons. It was one of the better decisions the government ever made.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  17. #17
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by gm2max View Post
    I OC'd my glock 19 in a serpa holster with 75 rounds of FMJ at the walmart from 10 pm till 12:30am. No issues, met a CC man who goes to the same range/shop I go to.

    Was p***** that I couldn't buy bullets........
    FMJ???

    You're kidding, right???
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  18. #18
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    I wouldn't wish a Mossberg upon ANYONE! They tend to fall apart at the wrong time. At least spend a couple $$ and get a quality shotgun like a Remington or better. You won't regret it. We had Mossbergs when I first went in the service and changed over to Remingtons. It was one of the better decisions the government ever made.
    +1
    I never liked the Mossbergs, its alum receiver.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •