• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Black Friday

DontTreadOnMeVa

Well the little lady is out black Friday shopping. I made sure she had everything she needed before going out into the craziness. ...including making sure she was carrying. Not sure if she will be, open, conceal or sloppy carrying today and dont really care. I just feel better knowing she is carrying.

If you have a someone that does carry some of the time, but maybe not always, you might want to encourage them to carry if they are holiday shopping. One never knows when one might need ones firearm, but during the holidays the chances are higher.

Plus, I like the smile I get when I mention, "I am just worried about you! You know the holidays are far from the safest time of year like they should be! I just want you safe, ok?"

I am so good, Santa should put a Mossberg 500 Cruiser under the tree for me!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Not sure if she will be, open, conceal or sloppy carrying today and dont really care. I just feel better knowing she is carrying.

I'd be very concerned if she was carrying sloppily. There's no need to either scratch up a gun unnecessarily or forget where you dropped it because you were not paying attention.

Carrying while shopping is a good reason to use a retention holster - your attention is diverted away from both the handgun and what is generally taking place areound you.

Black Frday shopping may be a good reason/excuse to OC - yes I'm playing to te antis' hysteria at the mere sight of a gun. But at least it might save a fight over that last whatevertheheckitis that she and some other shopper both seem to think they just must have or civilization as they know it will end.

I live several miles from the nearest shopping outlet. Today, especially, I am grateful for that fact. I have watched the TV news and seen the pictures of the crowds at the malls and on the highways. I am busy practicing my bug-in skills today. I am going to take the opoportunity to see how many different ways leftover turkey and stuffing can be prepared without resorting to the use of bacon.

stay safe.

DontTreadOnMeVa

I'd be very concerned if she was carrying sloppily. There's no need to either scratch up a gun unnecessarily or forget where you dropped it because you were not paying attention.

Carrying while shopping is a good reason to use a retention holster - your attention is diverted away from both the handgun and what is generally taking place areound you.

I guess I should clarify what I mean by sloppy. I am referring to carrying in a way that is not clearly open or concealed. Such as having a coat that covers the firearm most, but not all the time. I often carry in such a way in winter. It comes form basically not caring if someone sees or not.

I just got a call from her, wants to have breakfast at the village inn.

Billy D

Just got a great deal on a gun safe, oyu know the one that has the combination lock that you dont need to see to open... so I got 2 of em! reg $140 got em for $59 each!

Riana

When I head out to do Black Friday shopping, I'm always carrying. Last year, I CC'd during the event (didn't want my mom, who was visiting from CA, to freak out).

This year, I'm doing Black Friday from my couch, and since I don't have a holster that matches my fuzzy slippers, I'm not carrying at the moment. :cool:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It's going to be near 70 today and tomorrow. The Government has to be to blame....... anyway,
I hate hunting Deer in the heat so I'm gonna drive to the city, put my 800mm lens on the 7D, swap my Super Blackhawk for the 1911 and photo....BLACK FRIDAY SHOPPERS
biggrin.gif

Should be better n a 3 Stooges movie
th_coffeetime-1.gif

gm2max

I OC'd my glock 19 in a serpa holster with 75 rounds of FMJ at the walmart from 10 pm till 12:30am. No issues, met a CC man who goes to the same range/shop I go to.

Was p***** that I couldn't buy bullets........

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
They're typically sold in neat little packages, with one bullet, one case, one primer, and a dab of powder combined in one little unit, and packaged in sets of 50, 20 etc.

:dude:

Is that what those are. I've often wondered what kind of bullets cost 45 bucks. I make all mine from wheelweights so I'm iggernent about ready rolls:lol:.

What will they think of next?:eek:

hgreen

I OC'd at Walmart in Fairfax around 11pm-12am, Kohls, 12am-1:30am then Target in Chantilly around 2-3am.
Walked right by several FFX county cops in the stores and parking lots without any interaction.

Had many convos with folks while waiting in line to check-out and not a single mention of the OC status.

OC still didn't keep people from shoving me in the crowds though, too crowded for people to see as well as most were too self-absorbed to be aware of what anyone else was doing or carrying.

Just glad I wasn't in CA where that lady was pepper spraying people to get a deal. Its my opinion that if you are threatened with pepper spray by someone that you'd be justified in using lethal force as pepper spray can inflict great bodily harm.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I OC'd at Walmart in Fairfax around 11pm-12am, Kohls, 12am-1:30am then Target in Chantilly around 2-3am.
Walked right by several FFX county cops in the stores and parking lots without any interaction.

Had many convos with folks while waiting in line to check-out and not a single mention of the OC status.

OC still didn't keep people from shoving me in the crowds though, too crowded for people to see as well as most were too self-absorbed to be aware of what anyone else was doing or carrying.

Just glad I wasn't in CA where that lady was pepper spraying people to get a deal. Its my opinion that if you are threatened with pepper spray by someone that you'd be justified in using lethal force as pepper spray can inflict great bodily harm.

r4.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

Not so. Such a response is way over the top and could well qualify you for a life time of free room and board compliments of the Commonwealth.

One of the things we stress over and over is that use of lethal force should be a last resort. Even if you were actually sprayed, you would likely find the prosecutor suggesting that you escalated the incident. Understand that I am only responding to the limited circumstances you have defined - other things might alter that. In this case you specified "threatened" and then jumped to "using lethal force."

MSC 45ACP

Well the little lady is out black Friday shopping. I made sure she had everything she needed before going out into the craziness. ...including making sure she was carrying. Not sure if she will be, open, conceal or sloppy carrying today and dont really care. I just feel better knowing she is carrying.

If you have a someone that does carry some of the time, but maybe not always, you might want to encourage them to carry if they are holiday shopping. One never knows when one might need ones firearm, but during the holidays the chances are higher.

Plus, I like the smile I get when I mention, "I am just worried about you! You know the holidays are far from the safest time of year like they should be! I just want you safe, ok?"

I am so good, Santa should put a Mossberg 500 Cruiser under the tree for me!

I wouldn't wish a Mossberg upon ANYONE! They tend to fall apart at the wrong time. At least spend a couple $$ and get a quality shotgun like a Remington or better. You won't regret it. We had Mossbergs when I first went in the service and changed over to Remingtons. It was one of the better decisions the government ever made.

ocholsteroc

I wouldn't wish a Mossberg upon ANYONE! They tend to fall apart at the wrong time. At least spend a couple $$ and get a quality shotgun like a Remington or better. You won't regret it. We had Mossbergs when I first went in the service and changed over to Remingtons. It was one of the better decisions the government ever made.

+1
I never liked the Mossbergs, its alum receiver.