Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: No holstered handguns permitted in California starting 2012

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    San Diego County, California
    Posts
    6

    No holstered handguns permitted in California starting 2012

    A deputy sheriff in San Diego County, California recently informed law abiding gun owners that no holstered handguns will be permitted beginning January 1st, 2012. I just checked and discovered that California Assembly Bill 144 was passed by the state Senate on September 8, 2011 and signed into law by Governor Schwartzenegger.

    I am outraged by this, especially since I live in a rural area where snakes and other dangerous animals abound. If I cannot quickly defend myself, my family and friends against such attacks, then we will become defenseless. But, most importantly, is the violation of our Constitutional rights to own and bear arms. The government may feel that it is necessary to protect the people from assault weapons, but I cannot understand how there is any justification for preventing law abiding citizens from openly carrying an unloaded pistol in a holster. Is there any way to prevent this law from taking effect?

    Maurice Osborn

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    1,012
    You might want to check again on who the governor is in CA.

    Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Valhalla, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    351
    I guess you carry it in your hand or tuck in your waist band then huh?

  4. #4
    Regular Member MilProGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by hogeater f6 View Post
    I guess you carry it in your hand or tuck in your waist band then huh?
    Not very likely.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

    Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired


  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by hogeater f6 View Post
    I guess you carry it in your hand or tuck in your waist band then huh?
    I'm give to understand Kali wants to be the first state with people regularly OCing long guns.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  6. #6
    Regular Member John Canuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    297
    So you're a gun owner who is just hearing about this? Maybe it's time to stay on top of things.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Welcome to OCDO.

    Please forgive all the other posters. They are bitter and perhaps jaded, as well as being so PO'd about the situation that they have forgotten most of their social skills.

    It's quite late for you to be learning about this, but it's still not too late. The law is going to go into effect, but California has the possibility of initiative ballot items and in the past has used that process to change things that The People did not like.

    I suggest going to the California forum here at OCDO and figuring out all the hubbub about this law and which organizations appear to be major "players" regarding it. Join some/all of those groups, and become as active as you can in working with and for them in an effort to recall/repeal this law. That probably means working against te legisdlators who voted to pass it - unless you want to run the risk of it resurfacing at some later date if the recall/repeal is sucessful.

    In the meantime, read and learn about long-gun open carry as it will be applied to California. Do it both as a practical matter and as a political statement. Tell everyone you meet about it and why you are doing it.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  8. #8
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Didn't California have an election way back in November of 2010?
    Didn't Jerry Brown win?
    And didn't Jerry Brown take office in January of 2011?

  9. #9
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Although I am as dismayed with the recent CA law banning OC, I was under the impression that it only effected OC in public.

    Can this law also prohibit OC on PRIVATE PROPERTY as well? If a land-owner wants to OC on his own ranch while checking the fence lines or rounding up livestock, wouldn't that STILL be legal, even with this new law?
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  10. #10
    Regular Member Operator_223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    50

    It's disgusting.

    Theres no other way to say it. You get one little town in Scrotum-mento that makes all the laws for the entire state. As if they are interested in representing your interests.

    there are a lot of states in this very same situation. Rabid liberal state capitol, but very different in rural or other areas. Washington, Colorodo, Oregon, are a few others that come to mind.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    San Diego County, California
    Posts
    6

    Thank you for replying

    I appreciate all of your responses. Obviously, I have not been properly aware of the atrocities that our government representative have been able to perpetrate against us. I will begin working with others in the California Forum and see what can be done with an initiative ballot. Thanks again.

    Maurice

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    And Illinois is one of them! We are bossed, not so much by Springfield, but by SHITcago, as they are the puppeteers to the state government.
    I saw an article in the Wall Street Journal about the initiative in Illinois, outside Chicago, to help Chicago become the 51st state. The rest of Illinois is FED UP with the crap that's been oozing out of Chicago for the last century.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  13. #13
    Regular Member MilProGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
    I appreciate all of your responses. Obviously, I have not been properly aware of the atrocities that our government representative have been able to perpetrate against us. I will begin working with others in the California Forum and see what can be done with an initiative ballot. Thanks again.

    Maurice
    I commend you, Maurice.

    There's an old saying: "It's never too late to do the right thing".
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

    Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired


  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    66
    This is a prime example of why I chose to be stationed in VA over Kalifornia. I will spend my ample paycheck in VA, and raise children in VA. I LOVE VA gun laws

  15. #15
    Regular Member rapgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bothell, WA
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by Operator_223 View Post
    Theres no other way to say it. You get one little town in Scrotum-mento that makes all the laws for the entire state. As if they are interested in representing your interests.

    there are a lot of states in this very same situation. Rabid liberal state capitol, but very different in rural or other areas. Washington, Colorado, Oregon, are a few others that come to mind.
    Whoa! Leash that dog! I was born and raised in Lafayette LA and now live in Washington. We have some of the most protective carry laws in the nation! Take a look! http://opencarry.org/wa.html - So, our rights are protected even in our larger metropolitan areas. Seattle used to have a city ordinance that was somewhat more restrictive than the state law, and the courts responded with a "No do! No do!" and struck it down. Even if a public stadium has a no-carry rule, if we possess a concealed-carry permit, we're exempt. The only places where no-carry restrictions are rabidly enforced here are in bars and schools.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Gil223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Weber County Utah
    Posts
    1,428

    Thumbs up Kalifonia - The Land of Fruits and Nuts

    With Kali's serious crime rate, it just makes sense to prevent law abiding citizens the right to protect themselves by making the open carry of even unloaded handguns (which isn't much defense - a baseball bat has greater range)... doesn't it? (If you don't understand 'sarcasm' ask somebody who does to explain that statement to you)

    Seriously though, Kali is overflowing with liberal nutjobs who don't believe in anything except the Kum-by-yah Principle of Self Protection. Unfortunately, their propensity to follow the hippie philosophy, jeopardizes the safety and welfare of all Californians... except the criminal/gang element, who ignore all laws.

    Skid's suggestion of your becoming involved in the California forum, and engaging in political activism for the cause in your state, is probably the best advice anybody could give you.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    13

    definition of unloaded?

    What is the definition of an unloaded firearm in California. Is this completely unloaded magazine and all or just the chamber? and if its just the chamber how does this effect revolvers? .

  18. #18
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
    A deputy sheriff in San Diego County, California recently informed law abiding gun owners that no holstered handguns will be permitted beginning January 1st, 2012. I just checked and discovered that California Assembly Bill 144 was passed by the state Senate on September 8, 2011 and signed into law by Governor Schwartzenegger.

    I am outraged by this, especially since I live in a rural area where snakes and other dangerous animals abound. If I cannot quickly defend myself, my family and friends against such attacks, then we will become defenseless. But, most importantly, is the violation of our Constitutional rights to own and bear arms. The government may feel that it is necessary to protect the people from assault weapons, but I cannot understand how there is any justification for preventing law abiding citizens from openly carrying an unloaded pistol in a holster. Is there any way to prevent this law from taking effect?

    Maurice Osborn
    I would wager that there are next to zero people killed in this country by "assault weapons" in any given year for the simple fact that it is rather difficult to buy them and they can be quite expensive.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,797
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    I would wager that there are next to zero people killed in this country by "assault weapons" in any given year for the simple fact that it is rather difficult to buy them and they can be quite expensive.
    "Assault Weapons" is a made up term that the antis have started to throw onto any item they don't like (see "assault clips" for further proof). The proper term is "assault rifle" and it requires the gun have selective fire options.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    "Assault Weapons" is a made up term that the antis have started to throw onto any item they don't like (see "assault clips" for further proof). The proper term is "assault rifle" and it requires the gun have selective fire options...
    ...which are non-existent in semi-automatic rifles of the AR-15 style.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •