• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No holstered handguns permitted in California starting 2012

Maurice

A deputy sheriff in San Diego County, California recently informed law abiding gun owners that no holstered handguns will be permitted beginning January 1st, 2012. I just checked and discovered that California Assembly Bill 144 was passed by the state Senate on September 8, 2011 and signed into law by Governor Schwartzenegger.

I am outraged by this, especially since I live in a rural area where snakes and other dangerous animals abound. If I cannot quickly defend myself, my family and friends against such attacks, then we will become defenseless. But, most importantly, is the violation of our Constitutional rights to own and bear arms. The government may feel that it is necessary to protect the people from assault weapons, but I cannot understand how there is any justification for preventing law abiding citizens from openly carrying an unloaded pistol in a holster. Is there any way to prevent this law from taking effect?

Maurice Osborn

kcgunfan

You might want to check again on who the governor is in CA.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO.

Please forgive all the other posters. They are bitter and perhaps jaded, as well as being so PO'd about the situation that they have forgotten most of their social skills.

It's quite late for you to be learning about this, but it's still not too late. The law is going to go into effect, but California has the possibility of initiative ballot items and in the past has used that process to change things that The People did not like.

I suggest going to the California forum here at OCDO and figuring out all the hubbub about this law and which organizations appear to be major "players" regarding it. Join some/all of those groups, and become as active as you can in working with and for them in an effort to recall/repeal this law. That probably means working against te legisdlators who voted to pass it - unless you want to run the risk of it resurfacing at some later date if the recall/repeal is sucessful.

In the meantime, read and learn about long-gun open carry as it will be applied to California. Do it both as a practical matter and as a political statement. Tell everyone you meet about it and why you are doing it.

stay safe.

Dreamer

Although I am as dismayed with the recent CA law banning OC, I was under the impression that it only effected OC in public.

Can this law also prohibit OC on PRIVATE PROPERTY as well? If a land-owner wants to OC on his own ranch while checking the fence lines or rounding up livestock, wouldn't that STILL be legal, even with this new law?

Operator_223

It's disgusting.

Theres no other way to say it. You get one little town in Scrotum-mento that makes all the laws for the entire state. As if they are interested in representing your interests.

there are a lot of states in this very same situation. Rabid liberal state capitol, but very different in rural or other areas. Washington, Colorodo, Oregon, are a few others that come to mind.

Maurice

Thank you for replying

I appreciate all of your responses. Obviously, I have not been properly aware of the atrocities that our government representative have been able to perpetrate against us. I will begin working with others in the California Forum and see what can be done with an initiative ballot. Thanks again.

Maurice

since9

Campaign Veteran
And Illinois is one of them! We are bossed, not so much by Springfield, but by SHITcago, as they are the puppeteers to the state government.

I saw an article in the Wall Street Journal about the initiative in Illinois, outside Chicago, to help Chicago become the 51st state. The rest of Illinois is FED UP with the crap that's been oozing out of Chicago for the last century.

MilProGuy

I appreciate all of your responses. Obviously, I have not been properly aware of the atrocities that our government representative have been able to perpetrate against us. I will begin working with others in the California Forum and see what can be done with an initiative ballot. Thanks again.

Maurice

I commend you, Maurice.

There's an old saying: "It's never too late to do the right thing".

gm2max

This is a prime example of why I chose to be stationed in VA over Kalifornia. I will spend my ample paycheck in VA, and raise children in VA. I LOVE VA gun laws

rapgood

Theres no other way to say it. You get one little town in Scrotum-mento that makes all the laws for the entire state. As if they are interested in representing your interests.

there are a lot of states in this very same situation. Rabid liberal state capitol, but very different in rural or other areas. Washington, Colorado, Oregon, are a few others that come to mind.

Whoa! Leash that dog! I was born and raised in Lafayette LA and now live in Washington. We have some of the most protective carry laws in the nation! Take a look! http://opencarry.org/wa.html - So, our rights are protected even in our larger metropolitan areas. Seattle used to have a city ordinance that was somewhat more restrictive than the state law, and the courts responded with a "No do! No do!" and struck it down. Even if a public stadium has a no-carry rule, if we possess a concealed-carry permit, we're exempt. The only places where no-carry restrictions are rabidly enforced here are in bars and schools.

Gil223

Kalifonia - The Land of Fruits and Nuts

With Kali's serious crime rate, it just makes sense to prevent law abiding citizens the right to protect themselves by making the open carry of even unloaded handguns (which isn't much defense - a baseball bat has greater range)... doesn't it? (If you don't understand 'sarcasm' ask somebody who does to explain that statement to you)

Seriously though, Kali is overflowing with liberal nutjobs who don't believe in anything except the Kum-by-yah Principle of Self Protection. Unfortunately, their propensity to follow the hippie philosophy, jeopardizes the safety and welfare of all Californians... except the criminal/gang element, who ignore all laws.

Skid's suggestion of your becoming involved in the California forum, and engaging in political activism for the cause in your state, is probably the best advice anybody could give you.

Mark Whatsitworthtou

definition of unloaded?

What is the definition of an unloaded firearm in California. Is this completely unloaded magazine and all or just the chamber? and if its just the chamber how does this effect revolvers? .

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
A deputy sheriff in San Diego County, California recently informed law abiding gun owners that no holstered handguns will be permitted beginning January 1st, 2012. I just checked and discovered that California Assembly Bill 144 was passed by the state Senate on September 8, 2011 and signed into law by Governor Schwartzenegger.

I am outraged by this, especially since I live in a rural area where snakes and other dangerous animals abound. If I cannot quickly defend myself, my family and friends against such attacks, then we will become defenseless. But, most importantly, is the violation of our Constitutional rights to own and bear arms. The government may feel that it is necessary to protect the people from assault weapons, but I cannot understand how there is any justification for preventing law abiding citizens from openly carrying an unloaded pistol in a holster. Is there any way to prevent this law from taking effect?

Maurice Osborn

I would wager that there are next to zero people killed in this country by "assault weapons" in any given year for the simple fact that it is rather difficult to buy them and they can be quite expensive.

Aknazer

I would wager that there are next to zero people killed in this country by "assault weapons" in any given year for the simple fact that it is rather difficult to buy them and they can be quite expensive.

"Assault Weapons" is a made up term that the antis have started to throw onto any item they don't like (see "assault clips" for further proof). The proper term is "assault rifle" and it requires the gun have selective fire options.

since9

Campaign Veteran
"Assault Weapons" is a made up term that the antis have started to throw onto any item they don't like (see "assault clips" for further proof). The proper term is "assault rifle" and it requires the gun have selective fire options...

...which are non-existent in semi-automatic rifles of the AR-15 style.