Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Number of carry rounds?

Number of carry rounds?

I got to thinking, "I wonder if I carry more ammo than the other OC/CC people." I carry 5 mags, 2 of them in my left pocket, 2 in a mag holder, and 1 in the glock. Total of 75 rounds. I just don't want to be the sorry bastard to run out of ammo, in any situation.

How do I compare with others?

Just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by gm2max View Post
    I got to thinking, "I wonder if I carry more ammo than the other OC/CC people." I carry 5 mags, 2 of them in my left pocket, 2 in a mag holder, and 1 in the glock. Total of 75 rounds. I just don't want to be the sorry bastard to run out of ammo, in any situation.

Just wondering
    Well, that's at least twice the amount I carry on a normal given day. But I don't think anyone has ever said "Thank God I didn't bring too much ammo."

There is no such thing as too much ammunition.

That's more than twice what I carry. I carry one in the chamber, one mag in the gun, and one mag in a pocket for a total of 31 rounds.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

There was a thread a few months back (might have been in Hampton Roads thread) and I mentioned I carry between 23 to 37 rounds depending on which gun I OC and it's associated magazine.

So I typically carry 1 primary gun, 1BUG and 1 extra magazine. Of course they are all 230g .45acp (230g x 37=8510grams of lead)

If you carry the smallish calibers like 9mm 115g you would have to carry 74 to equal the amount of lead going downrange. ;-)

Carry what you feel comfortable with. I feel comfortable with as few as 23 and somtimes less if I am CC-ing. You just need to know where to go for more ammo and plan how to get there with the firepower you have.

Quote Originally Posted by gm2max View Post

Just wondering
    Been carrying long?

IMO, 5 mags is a bit much for EDC, but hey, it's yours to carry.

I usually carry 1 or 2 spare mags, depending on which gun. I carry spare mags more for gun/mag malfunctions than spare ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    There is no such thing as too much ammunition.
    Unless your swimming or on fire...

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Depends on how well you shoot and with what. It might be 75 is only half enough

1 speed strip or speed loader or Mag...depending on what I'm carrying.

I carry 5 mags
    WOW you don't got a back up gun yet? well 5 magazines is good. I would never want to run out of ammo myself.

39 with mine -2 in each mag, later add a revolver in the pocket with 15 or so rounds.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

11 in the smith, 10 in the spare mag, 14 in the spare-spare, and 6 in the 12 guage I keep in a guitar case in the trunk.
    My 2nd amedment rights trump some paranoid persons ignorance.

7+1 in the .45 and two additional 8 round mags on the belt.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

15+1 in the Hi-Power.
    2x15 spares
    2x20rd in the truck.

15s are loaded with Rangers. 20s are Nato ball.

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    lets see. 15+ one in the beretta + 2 spares in inside pocket =46
    13+1 in the G23 plus 1 spare = 27

13+1 in the beretta compact

87 total between 3 guns.

then i have at least 1 WWB of range ammo per gun in the rangeback in the back seat of car so......

387 :-D woot
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

lol .. well if we're counting what is kept in the vehicle, last time I counted was last Saturday and there was a total of 2150. Not sure how many I fired last weekend but I do remember opening more than a few boxes, so I'm probably down to around 800 now. Need to go shopping at the Showplace next weekend.

...5 in the cylinder, 5 in the speedstrip... sometimes I don't have the speedstrip with me.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    ...5 in the cylinder, 5 in the speedstrip... sometimes I don't have the speedstrip with me.
    That's not really a fair comparison Curtis. You carry real guns as a rule.
    Don't have to shoot em but once.

Holy crap, I'd hate to be the guy you guys are shooting at. Especially if y'all showed up at the same time. Just bring a hefty bag to pick up the pieces.

me- 9 total
    I got a gun for my wife; Best trade I ever made

What you carry depends on the situation.

You and a partner both carrying, in a low crime area, out and about in the car, no spares, she has a revolver, I have a 9mm. That's 12-24 rounds. If we're going to the range we are both carrying 2 firearms, lots of spare mags.

Unknown situation, higher crime area, no partner, chance of being shot by return gunfire, then five is optimal. Two mags on the weak side, one mag on the strong side (reload if wounded), one in the firearm, one in the pocket for reloads after your firearm is empty. BUG with one extra mag (in case primary firearm malfx, broken spring, firing pin). You are basically being sure of having redundancy of both arm and ammo. The MAG is the weakest component for a semi-auto (it's just thin metal/plastic). You always want to presume you have one or more mags go bad and need to be dropped and replaced.

Always need 'one more' to reload after your firearm is empty. Outside in the world you never want to have an unloaded firearm (unless on purpose).

IMO, in many circumstances, having two of you armed together actually lessens the need to fire them. (tactics of intimidation...and laser dots, lol).

ANY mags in your pockets are suitable only for rearming your carry belt or reloading your firearm after a fight, and should not be considered 'action-ready'.

Having a partner carrying a revolver -can- obviate the need for a BUG in lower crime areas.

Finally, assume you will only hit 2 out of 5 shots in a real gunfight, and only 1 of those fatal. So divide the rounds you carry in half -at least- when you figure your needs. If you have a 19 round capacity, you will probably have 5-6 effective shots (aim deteriorating under stress). Most stats say LEOs and other pros hit 25-30%, iirc.

$.02
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    What you carry depends on the situation.

You and a partner both carrying, in a low crime area, out and about in the car, no spares, she has a revolver, I have a 9mm. That's 12-24 rounds. If we're going to the range we are both carrying 2 firearms, lots of spare mags.

Unknown situation, higher crime area, no partner, chance of being shot by return gunfire, then five is optimal. Two mags on the weak side, one mag on the strong side (reload if wounded), one in the firearm, one in the pocket for reloads after your firearm is empty. BUG with one extra mag (in case primary firearm malfx, broken spring, firing pin). You are basically being sure of having redundancy of both arm and ammo. The MAG is the weakest component for a semi-auto (it's just thin metal/plastic). You always want to presume you have one or more mags go bad and need to be dropped and replaced.

Always need 'one more' to reload after your firearm is empty. Outside in the world you never want to have an unloaded firearm (unless on purpose).

IMO, in many circumstances, having two of you armed together actually lessens the need to fire them. (tactics of intimidation...and laser dots, lol).

ANY mags in your pockets are suitable only for rearming your carry belt or reloading your firearm after a fight, and should not be considered 'action-ready'.

Having a partner carrying a revolver -can- obviate the need for a BUG in lower crime areas.

Finally, assume you will only hit 2 out of 5 shots in a real gunfight, and only 1 of those fatal. So divide the rounds you carry in half -at least- when you figure your needs. If you have a 19 round capacity, you will probably have 5-6 effective shots (aim deteriorating under stress). Most stats say LEOs and other pros hit 25-30%, iirc.

$.02
    Where in the hell are you going? Do you expect Zombie Apocalypse or something?

6 plus 1 in my Taurus PT 740 Slim with an extra 6 round mag (.40 S&W).
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

I would be embarrassed to stand next to someone with that much ammo. I open-carried my SP101 .357 3" tonight. Five in the cylinder and five in a speed loader. Ten total. As someone with a lot of experience looking at bullet wounds I feel comfortable that if I landed one .357 It would do just fine . Doesn't matter where I land it a .357 is a sick round that leaves a nasty wound cavity. You guys ever stop to think that you look ridiculous?

I still like 1911's So maybe 17...... Maybe.
    Last edited by T Dubya; 11-26-2011 at 11:47 AM.

When I carry my STI 2011 compact in 45 ACP I have 11+1 in the gun. There are 2 more mags with 11 & 12 rounds each in belt pouches (in case I want to carry them as well) in the console for a tolal of 35 rnds.

If carrying my Colt 5 inch govt in 45 ACP I have 8+1 in the gun. There are 2 more 8 rnd mags in belt pouches (in case I want to carry them as well) in the pistol concealment carry bag for a total of 25 rnds.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    I went to the comedy club tonight with just 6 lonely .38 spl. rounds in my Colt Detective Special. We all made it home alive!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by T Dubya View Post
    I would be embarrassed to stand next to someone with that much ammo. I open-carried my SP101 .357 3" tonight. Five in the cylinder and five in a speed loader. Ten total. As someone with a lot of experience looking at bullet wounds I feel comfortable that if I landed one .357 It would do just fine . Doesn't matter where I land it a .357 is a sick round that leaves a nasty wound cavity. You guys ever stop to think that you look ridiculous?
    Nevermind the malfunction arguments above. Or dropping a mag as a defensive move in a retention fight, and then needing another one. Or giving a mag to my wife (who is bad about not carrying spares).

The ultimate lethality of whatever hand-howitzer I carry is irrelevant if it takes him 2 minutes to drop. What matters is it's ability to turn off the trigger finger of the other guy RIGHT NOW, no matter the conditions.

Until I can make multiple CNS shots (only takes one, but badguys are more likely to come in 2-5s than alone) in the first mag , at 25 yards, at a dead run, off my axis of movement, while carrying a child in one hand, I'm bringing more ammo.

Try it. Get a 50lb bag of dog food or rice. Grab it under one arm and hold your sidearm in the other. Run crossways down the range while trying to make decent shots (better put up a bedsheet for a target the first time). Now imagine it's a screaming/twisting child instead.

Quote Originally Posted by T Dubya View Post
    I would be embarrassed to stand next to someone with that much ammo.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

G26 with 10 in it and usually carry a 17 extended mag on belt as a reload.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast