• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Number of carry rounds?

mobeewan

When I carry my STI 2011 compact in 45 ACP I have 11+1 in the gun. There are 2 more mags with 11 & 12 rounds each in belt pouches (in case I want to carry them as well) in the console for a tolal of 35 rnds.

If carrying my Colt 5 inch govt in 45 ACP I have 8+1 in the gun. There are 2 more 8 rnd mags in belt pouches (in case I want to carry them as well) in the pistol concealment carry bag for a total of 25 rnds.

Elkad

I would be embarrassed to stand next to someone with that much ammo. I open-carried my SP101 .357 3" tonight. Five in the cylinder and five in a speed loader. Ten total. As someone with a lot of experience looking at bullet wounds I feel comfortable that if I landed one .357 It would do just fine . Doesn't matter where I land it a .357 is a sick round that leaves a nasty wound cavity. You guys ever stop to think that you look ridiculous?

Nevermind the malfunction arguments above. Or dropping a mag as a defensive move in a retention fight, and then needing another one. Or giving a mag to my wife (who is bad about not carrying spares).

The ultimate lethality of whatever hand-howitzer I carry is irrelevant if it takes him 2 minutes to drop. What matters is it's ability to turn off the trigger finger of the other guy RIGHT NOW, no matter the conditions.

Until I can make multiple CNS shots (only takes one, but badguys are more likely to come in 2-5s than alone) in the first mag , at 25 yards, at a dead run, off my axis of movement, while carrying a child in one hand, I'm bringing more ammo.

Try it. Get a 50lb bag of dog food or rice. Grab it under one arm and hold your sidearm in the other. Run crossways down the range while trying to make decent shots (better put up a bedsheet for a target the first time). Now imagine it's a screaming/twisting child instead.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Nevermind the malfunction arguments above. Or dropping a mag as a defensive move in a retention fight, and then needing another one. Or giving a mag to my wife (who is bad about not carrying spares).

The ultimate lethality of whatever hand-howitzer I carry is irrelevant if it takes him 2 minutes to drop. What matters is it's ability to turn off the trigger finger of the other guy RIGHT NOW, no matter the conditions.

Until I can make multiple CNS shots (only takes one, but badguys are more likely to come in 2-5s than alone) in the first mag , at 25 yards, at a dead run, off my axis of movement, while carrying a child in one hand, I'm bringing more ammo.

Try it. Get a 50lb bag of dog food or rice. Grab it under one arm and hold your sidearm in the other. Run crossways down the range while trying to make decent shots (better put up a bedsheet for a target the first time). Now imagine it's a screaming/twisting child instead.

I can't tell if you are joking with me or you are a certifiable nut. I hope its not the latter, cause you'd be the cartoon caricature of a gun-nut the antis paint us to be. You gotta be joking and you hooked me like a striped bass. That's gotta be it.

What is CNS? Whatever happened to plain talk like "center mass?" You're telling me that bad guys follow a certain pattern and come in 2-5? You're actually on this forum with some hollywood bullstuff about carrying a child and firing a gun and training with a 50lb dog food bag? You spend way too much time fantasizing.

You keyboard commandos think way too much into this shooting scenario stuff. I ain't never shot anybody, but I have been so intimate in the end results of shooting scenarios as to have to wipe bone matter off my shirt. I usually like to lurk, but when my dumb-ass meter goes off the chart I feel its my duty as a certifiable gun nut to pull the reigns in on all this crazy stuff.

Let me tell you how it goes down on the street- Chaos! That's what happens. Chaos. And you're not going to be doing some Bruce Willis "Last Man Standing" **** at McDonald's or Starbucks or anywhere else you internet commandos think you might save the day!

carry for myself

I would be embarrassed to stand next to someone with that much ammo. I open-carried my SP101 .357 3" tonight. Five in the cylinder and five in a speed loader. Ten total. As someone with a lot of experience looking at bullet wounds I feel comfortable that if I landed one .357 It would do just fine . Doesn't matter where I land it a .357 is a sick round that leaves a nasty wound cavity. You guys ever stop to think that you look ridiculous?

I still like 1911's So maybe 17...... Maybe.

lolz some of us carry up to 3 guns............noone said OPEN carry. if i OC i carry one gun and one spare. when i CC i carry 3 guns and many spares. and unless i pass through a metal detector you cant tell i carry any guns ;-)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
lolz some of us carry up to 3 guns............noone said OPEN carry. if i OC i carry one gun and one spare. when i CC i carry 3 guns and many spares. and unless i pass through a metal detector you cant tell i carry any guns ;-)

Well, no they didn't say Open Carry but since it was asked on an open carry board there is an implication of open carry...and...Lolz of folks in Maine may carry up to 3 guns, not many here do unless you want to count the rifle and shotgun and maybe a couple other guns in the truck.

ocholsteroc

Carry 3 guns if you want, as long as it's legal for your state. I have no problem with people wanting to carry more guns, they could like pass them to their friend(s)/spouse if something happen. I rather just have two and 3-4 magazines. What ever floats your boat.:cool:

I personally think 2-3 guns is good, in different places incase you can't reach one or one is spotted and taken away by some thug band/flash mob.

4 oclock/noon/ankle
4oclock/noon/pocket

etc..

Last edited:

Elkad

I can't tell if you are joking with me or you are a certifiable nut. I hope its not the latter, cause you'd be the cartoon caricature of a gun-nut the antis paint us to be. You gotta be joking and you hooked me like a striped bass. That's gotta be it.

What is CNS? Whatever happened to plain talk like "center mass?" You're telling me that bad guys follow a certain pattern and come in 2-5? You're actually on this forum with some hollywood bullstuff about carrying a child and firing a gun and training with a 50lb dog food bag? You spend way too much time fantasizing.

You keyboard commandos think way too much into this shooting scenario stuff. I ain't never shot anybody, but I have been so intimate in the end results of shooting scenarios as to have to wipe bone matter off my shirt. I usually like to lurk, but when my dumb-ass meter goes off the chart I feel its my duty as a certifiable gun nut to pull the reigns in on all this crazy stuff.

Let me tell you how it goes down on the street- Chaos! That's what happens. Chaos. And you're not going to be doing some Bruce Willis "Last Man Standing" **** at McDonald's or Starbucks or anywhere else you internet commandos think you might save the day!

CNS=central nervous system. Figured that was a pretty standard abbreviation. If you don't hit it, the other guy can be a dead man walking for several minutes. All of which he can still be shooting at you. People keep fighting with lethal wounds all the time. Half the Congressional Medal of Honor recipients kept fighting when they should have died There are huge piles of documented police shootings where the bad guy takes dozens of hits and keeps fighting.

If I ever do have to defend myself, I have no intention to "stand and deliver" at close range. Sounds like a good way to get shot to me. At 7' how do you keep the other guy from shooting you? Shooting him center mass won't stop him from shooting you back. But moving fast just might do the trick if I can make the other guy miss. Train for worse than the real thing. It's EXACTLY like training offhand. Train from a car, into a car, running, knocked on your butt, carrying a child, through doorways, in the dark, vs a vest, and whatever other horrible scenario you can come up with.

Or I could have faith in my magic bullet to cause the bad guy to explode instantly if I nick his toe, and all his friends to wet themselves, throw down their weapons, and flee in terror.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
CNS=central nervous system. Figured that was a pretty standard abbreviation. If you don't hit it, the other guy can be a dead man walking for several minutes. All of which he can still be shooting at you. People keep fighting with lethal wounds all the time. Half the Congressional Medal of Honor recipients kept fighting when they should have died There are huge piles of documented police shootings where the bad guy takes dozens of hits and keeps fighting.

If I ever do have to defend myself, I have no intention to "stand and deliver" at close range. Sounds like a good way to get shot to me. At 7' how do you keep the other guy from shooting you? Shooting him center mass won't stop him from shooting you back. But moving fast just might do the trick if I can make the other guy miss. Train for worse than the real thing. It's EXACTLY like training offhand. Train from a car, into a car, running, knocked on your butt, carrying a child, through doorways, in the dark, vs a vest, and whatever other horrible scenario you can come up with.

Or I could have faith in my magic bullet to cause the bad guy to explode instantly if I nick his toe, and all his friends to wet themselves, throw down their weapons, and flee in terror.

OR...

You could talk him to death.

images

Last edited:

gm2max

First off, to you guys think that I look like an idiot carrying 75 rounds, think again. I bought a pair of blue jeans that I wear only for carrying. It has spacious pockets, and you cannot tell that 8 have 2 extra mags in my pocket. I have the gun loaded=15 rounds. I have a nice plastic blackhawk magazone holder that looks great on my real leather brown belt. I have (visible) the same amount of ammo many military men carry. 45 rounds. I carry to be prepared to have a fight, not to look cool, intimidate, or to get attention. I have a (soon to be, or might already be) pregnant wife and a 19 month old son to protect in this gangster filled town.

$.02

45acpForMe

First off, to you guys think that I look like an idiot carrying 75 rounds, think again. I bought a pair of blue jeans that I wear only for carrying. It has spacious pockets, and you cannot tell that 8 have 2 extra mags in my pocket. I have the gun loaded=15 rounds. I have a nice plastic blackhawk magazone holder that looks great on my real leather brown belt. I have (visible) the same amount of ammo many military men carry. 45 rounds. I carry to be prepared to have a fight, not to look cool, intimidate, or to get attention. I have a (soon to be, or might already be) pregnant wife and a 19 month old son to protect in this gangster filled town.

$.02

In my earlier post I almost mentioned that you may need that much where you live. :) There are good parts and bad parts but nothing stops the bad guys from getting in a car and visiting! I live in Yorktown and there was a rash of breakins 5 or so years ago. The police finally followed them to their house in Portsmouth and found most of the stolen property in their garage.

Unless society totally breaks down though I feel comfortable with 20+ rounds. If it does break down I will have my rifle/shotgun/ak-pistol with lots of ammunition handy. Maybe not all on me but several loaded mags nearby in the car/house.

Starrman

Applicants must answer questions 10 through 24. Additionally questions 29 through 31 must be answered
chronologically and in detail. If you have answered YES to question(s) 10 through 28 you MUST use the
HANDGUN LICENSE APPLICATION ADDENDUM (PD 643-041A ) to explain such answer(s) in complete detail. A FALSE
STATEMENT SHALL BE GROUNDS FOR DENIAL OF A (insert state) HANDGUN LICENSE
SECTION B
HAVE YOU EVER...

21. Suffered from mental illness, or due to mental illness received treatment, been admitted to a hospital
or institution, or taken medication? List Doctor’s/Institutions, Name, Address, Phone #, in explanation ..  Yes  No

Last edited:

Elkad

If I ever fill out that form, I guess I'll worry about if I ever took a Valium. Does a temporary (and untreated) mental illness caused by nicotine withdrawal count? I wasn't in the country at the time (or in ANY country, as I was in international waters), and after a few days it passed.

BTW, this is kinda fun. At some point I expect this whole thread will get slapped for off-topic though.

Operator_223

I would rather rely on skills and shot placement first

I would rather rely on skills and shot placement first........ but having said that.... I carry 10 in my g21, and 10 each in 2 spare mags on my left side, 30 rounds of Winchester PDX1 230g hollowpoints.

I skip the extra mags when Im just going to work or taking out the trash.... (I know..... I know.....).

Since I like the .44 mag so much, Ive been hankerin to carry a 6 inch redhawk too. someday..............

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Since I like the .44 mag so much, Ive been hankerin to carry a 6 inch redhawk too. someday..............

At last...The KING OF CARTRIDGES.

The Redhawk is a tad heavy for EDC although my Super Blackhawk pretty much lives with me on the farm.
I like my 629 6" for burbwear and my Taurus Titanium Ultralite is a permanent resident in my console.

My 4" 29 is in my desk drawer.

My Contender with the 44 Hotshot Barrel is my Tractor gun.

Life is good with a 44.:dude: