• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Number of carry rounds?

gm2max

I got to thinking, "I wonder if I carry more ammo than the other OC/CC people." I carry 5 mags, 2 of them in my left pocket, 2 in a mag holder, and 1 in the glock. Total of 75 rounds. I just don't want to be the sorry bastard to run out of ammo, in any situation.

How do I compare with others?

Just wondering

JamesB

I got to thinking, "I wonder if I carry more ammo than the other OC/CC people." I carry 5 mags, 2 of them in my left pocket, 2 in a mag holder, and 1 in the glock. Total of 75 rounds. I just don't want to be the sorry bastard to run out of ammo, in any situation.

Just wondering

Well, that's at least twice the amount I carry on a normal given day. But I don't think anyone has ever said "Thank God I didn't bring too much ammo."

There is no such thing as too much ammunition.

SovereignAxe

That's more than twice what I carry. I carry one in the chamber, one mag in the gun, and one mag in a pocket for a total of 31 rounds.

45acpForMe

There was a thread a few months back (might have been in Hampton Roads thread) and I mentioned I carry between 23 to 37 rounds depending on which gun I OC and it's associated magazine.

So I typically carry 1 primary gun, 1BUG and 1 extra magazine. Of course they are all 230g .45acp (230g x 37=8510grams of lead)

If you carry the smallish calibers like 9mm 115g you would have to carry 74 to equal the amount of lead going downrange. ;-)

Carry what you feel comfortable with. I feel comfortable with as few as 23 and somtimes less if I am CC-ing. You just need to know where to go for more ammo and plan how to get there with the firepower you have.

SIGguy229

Just wondering
Been carrying long?

IMO, 5 mags is a bit much for EDC, but hey, it's yours to carry.

I usually carry 1 or 2 spare mags, depending on which gun. I carry spare mags more for gun/mag malfunctions than spare ammo.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Depends on how well you shoot and with what. It might be 75 is only half enough:lol:

1 speed strip or speed loader or Mag...depending on what I'm carrying.

Billy D

11 in the smith, 10 in the spare mag, 14 in the spare-spare, and 6 in the 12 guage I keep in a guitar case in the trunk.

carry for myself

lets see. 15+ one in the beretta + 2 spares in inside pocket =46
13+1 in the G23 plus 1 spare = 27

13+1 in the beretta compact

87 total between 3 guns.

then i have at least 1 WWB of range ammo per gun in the rangeback in the back seat of car so......

387 :-D woot:monkey

scouser

lol .. well if we're counting what is kept in the vehicle, last time I counted was last Saturday and there was a total of 2150. Not sure how many I fired last weekend but I do remember opening more than a few boxes, so I'm probably down to around 800 now. Need to go shopping at the Showplace next weekend.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
...5 in the cylinder, 5 in the speedstrip... sometimes I don't have the speedstrip with me.

That's not really a fair comparison Curtis. You carry real guns as a rule.:lol:
Don't have to shoot em but once.

Starrman

Holy crap, I'd hate to be the guy you guys are shooting at. Especially if y'all showed up at the same time. Just bring a hefty bag to pick up the pieces.

me- 9 total

Badger Johnson

What you carry depends on the situation.

You and a partner both carrying, in a low crime area, out and about in the car, no spares, she has a revolver, I have a 9mm. That's 12-24 rounds. If we're going to the range we are both carrying 2 firearms, lots of spare mags.

Unknown situation, higher crime area, no partner, chance of being shot by return gunfire, then five is optimal. Two mags on the weak side, one mag on the strong side (reload if wounded), one in the firearm, one in the pocket for reloads after your firearm is empty. BUG with one extra mag (in case primary firearm malfx, broken spring, firing pin). You are basically being sure of having redundancy of both arm and ammo. The MAG is the weakest component for a semi-auto (it's just thin metal/plastic). You always want to presume you have one or more mags go bad and need to be dropped and replaced.

Always need 'one more' to reload after your firearm is empty. Outside in the world you never want to have an unloaded firearm (unless on purpose).

IMO, in many circumstances, having two of you armed together actually lessens the need to fire them. (tactics of intimidation...and laser dots, lol).

ANY mags in your pockets are suitable only for rearming your carry belt or reloading your firearm after a fight, and should not be considered 'action-ready'.

Having a partner carrying a revolver -can- obviate the need for a BUG in lower crime areas.

Finally, assume you will only hit 2 out of 5 shots in a real gunfight, and only 1 of those fatal. So divide the rounds you carry in half -at least- when you figure your needs. If you have a 19 round capacity, you will probably have 5-6 effective shots (aim deteriorating under stress). Most stats say LEOs and other pros hit 25-30%, iirc.

$.02

CHILINVLN

What you carry depends on the situation.

You and a partner both carrying, in a low crime area, out and about in the car, no spares, she has a revolver, I have a 9mm. That's 12-24 rounds. If we're going to the range we are both carrying 2 firearms, lots of spare mags.

Unknown situation, higher crime area, no partner, chance of being shot by return gunfire, then five is optimal. Two mags on the weak side, one mag on the strong side (reload if wounded), one in the firearm, one in the pocket for reloads after your firearm is empty. BUG with one extra mag (in case primary firearm malfx, broken spring, firing pin). You are basically being sure of having redundancy of both arm and ammo. The MAG is the weakest component for a semi-auto (it's just thin metal/plastic). You always want to presume you have one or more mags go bad and need to be dropped and replaced.

Always need 'one more' to reload after your firearm is empty. Outside in the world you never want to have an unloaded firearm (unless on purpose).

IMO, in many circumstances, having two of you armed together actually lessens the need to fire them. (tactics of intimidation...and laser dots, lol).

ANY mags in your pockets are suitable only for rearming your carry belt or reloading your firearm after a fight, and should not be considered 'action-ready'.

Having a partner carrying a revolver -can- obviate the need for a BUG in lower crime areas.

Finally, assume you will only hit 2 out of 5 shots in a real gunfight, and only 1 of those fatal. So divide the rounds you carry in half -at least- when you figure your needs. If you have a 19 round capacity, you will probably have 5-6 effective shots (aim deteriorating under stress). Most stats say LEOs and other pros hit 25-30%, iirc.

$.02

Where in the hell are you going? Do you expect Zombie Apocalypse or something?

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
I would be embarrassed to stand next to someone with that much ammo. I open-carried my SP101 .357 3" tonight. Five in the cylinder and five in a speed loader. Ten total. As someone with a lot of experience looking at bullet wounds I feel comfortable that if I landed one .357 It would do just fine . Doesn't matter where I land it a .357 is a sick round that leaves a nasty wound cavity. You guys ever stop to think that you look ridiculous?

I still like 1911's So maybe 17...... Maybe.

Last edited: