• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what is the legal age to oc?

NGM9

I myself am 21 and enjoy my rights. But a man in the navy I know is having an issue. He's 20 and has been ocing for awhile, hasn't had an issue. Everywhere he has looked states 18 for oc/owning a handgun, he just can't buy it. Recently he went to a shop and was asked his age. After stating he was 20 the owned said he could not carry. After talking to him that he hasn't seen anything stating he can't carry unless 21, the owned said while he isn't sure, he was almost positive va changed that law, and that he's a federal bail enforcer, and he could arrest him right then and there, but was just going to warn him and told him to read up to make sure he wasn't breaking the law.

threatened to arrest him, but wasn't sure himself...

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
I myself am 21 and enjoy my rights. But a man in the navy I know is having an issue. He's 20 and has been ocing for awhile, hasn't had an issue. Everywhere he has looked states 18 for oc/owning a handgun, he just can't buy it. Recently he went to a shop and was asked his age. After stating he was 20 the owned said he could not carry. After talking to him that he hasn't seen anything stating he can't carry unless 21, the owned said while he isn't sure, he was almost positive va changed that law, and that he's a federal bail enforcer, and he could arrest him right then and there, but was just going to warn him and told him to read up to make sure he wasn't breaking the law.

threatened to arrest him, but wasn't sure himself...
The legal age to own and oc is 18 in VA. A federal bail enforcer? He better be registered in VA before he tries to arrest a skip. Don't have a link now but, an out of state Bail Enforcement Agent was arrested for kidnapping in VA for grabbing a skip here.

NGM9

Thanks for the info, this happened at gi joes surplus, such a good shop kind of sad to see that happen.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO, NGM9.

Glad to see you are supporting your friend. And doubly glad to see he is exercising his rights while serving his country.

You are both encouraged to join VCDL www.vcdl.org (you can do it on-line or at the next Va gun show you attend). Please join the folks from VCDL at the General Assembly Building in Richmond on Monday, Jan. 16th, for Lobby Day. Look for OC dining events in your area - they are posted here in the Virginia section regularly and are a great way to meet and greet like-minded folks. Between the VCDL volunteers and the folks at the OC events you should be able to get an accurate answer to just about any question except "what caliber for ...." Member Ed here on OCDO offers business cards that cover most of what you need to know about OC and the law in Virginia - look him up and send him a self-addressed stamped envelope to get a few. Some other folks also carry the cards, too. VCDL has a card about the size of half a 3x5 index card with general laws about firearms in Virginia - you can get them at the gun shows once you find the VCDL table.

It is possible the bail agent is confusing the federal law regarding the minimum age required to purchase from an FFL with the notion of that being the minimum age required to buy/posses a firearm at all. Lots of folks who do not bother to read/understand the law make that mistake - usually to their chagrin. Errors like that are avoided here at OCDO by following the rule to cite to the source and letting others see how you arrived at your conclusion. Most of the tme it stops someone from looking bad, but in the few times that does not happen it makes it easier for others to understand and explain why the original interpretation is not considered accurate. We are not all attorneys here but quite a lot of us are lawyers and it shows.:D

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome to the forum!

18 years old!

Don't get legal advise from Bounty Hunters, Homeless People or immigrants on work visas.:lol:

architect

Let's be clear on the Federal over 21 handgun sales law, it is not a prohibition on the buyer. Per the GCA '68, an FFL is in violation of their license if they knowingly sell a handgun to someone under 21. The minor who desires/attempts to purchase is not breaking this law (unless they lie on their 4473 to expedite the purchase, a felony perjury offense).

gm2max

welcome to the forums.

And personally, I would laugh in the man's face who would want to arrest me for asking a question. But, since I'm 21, a CHP holder, and smart when out and about, nobody messes with me. I do get the usual gun-nut and we talk for a min or 2.

NGM9

Thanks! Yea it definitely felt strange when he wasn't so sure about the law, and talked about arrest. I was pretty sure on it, but just wanted confirmation. It was a long day today haha.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks! Yea it definitely felt strange when he wasn't so sure about the law, and talked about arrest. I was pretty sure on it, but just wanted confirmation. It was a long day today haha.

You wouldn't care to share the name of this shop so I could inquire about this vast arrest authority he has.....would you?:uhoh:
I'm always tactful and discreet:rolleyes:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You wouldn't care to share the name of this shop so I could inquire about this vast arrest authority he has.....would you?:uhoh:
I'm always tactful and discreet:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info, this happened at gi joes surplus, such a good shop kind of sad to see that happen.​

From post #3 above. My guess is this http://gijoesmilitarysurplus.com/ is the place.

I'm not gonna try to guess which location - that gives you two more places to check and see if there any others like him elsewhere.

Yes, know I am helpful. THank you for recognizing that.

stay safe.

Last edited:

TFred

So just curious... would it be considered a provocation to reply something like this:

"Doing me a favor? Wow, thanks... but if you really want to do me a favor, please, go ahead and arrest me. I could use the 5 figure judgment I will surely win from you personally, once I sue you for violating about a half a dozen state laws and federal civil rights violations. I could use a new car... Please! Go right ahead... make sure you pull out your gun, so we can add "assault with a deadly weapon" as well!"

?

TFred

jwinkeler

i think that would shut him up for a while, and is it me or does that part of va usually come up with uneducated people trying to arrest OCers?

user

Accomplished Advocate
The legal age to own and oc is 18 in VA. A federal bail enforcer? He better be registered in VA before he tries to arrest a skip. Don't have a link now but, an out of state Bail Enforcement Agent was arrested for kidnapping in VA for grabbing a skip here.

Actually, merely representing that he has general arrest powers in Virginia by reason of having authorized to work for bail bondsmen is a class-one misdemeanor in Virginia - impersonating a law enforcement officer.

And Wolf_shadow's right, federal law prohibits federal firearms licensees from selling a gun to someone under the age of twenty-one, but that has absolutely nothing to do with Virginia law. If you're eighteen in Virginia, you have all the same rights as anyone else other than the right to carry concealed.

NGM9

Thanks for the responses, now that im back home and have a computer to type from and am not on a phone, i can tell the story of what happened.

That day we decided to visit the surplus store. Upon arriving we were flagged down by the people running it and asked how we were doing, the normal greeting id expect. Except almost immediately one of them starts asking me why I chose an m9 to carry, because at any time, he could remove the slide off of my gun, even with a round in it. Comparing it to my friends $300 S&W which was a hunk of garbage he said it was a much better gun then my m9, like I was suppose to just drop my gear and go buy new equipment. Without pause, he then proceeded to tell me, that because I use a level II CQC blackhawk SERPA that I was going to end up shooting myself in the leg due to it pushing on the trigger. (which is hilariously false, unloaded and hammer back I slammed that thing into the holster with enough force im suprised I didnt break it, and it never fired, not to mention the trigger doesnt work with the safety on...) I basically just nodded my head and looked the other way as he then told me that he worked for blackhawk, and told them NOT to see that holster because it was faulty.

After that he told me only people who do the *cool* thing to do (he compared it to how kids act emo... wtf?) carry serpas and after that I just walked away and funny enough went glove shopping right next to a police officer. (This guy WASNT the one claiming to be the bonds enforcer, it was the FBO's friend who ran the store with him.)

I proceeded to continue shopping as my friend was being interrogated by them and thats when they started asking him about his age and the arresting, etc, etc.

Was quite the interesting trip.

TFred

Thanks for the responses, now that im back home and have a computer to type from and am not on a phone, i can tell the story of what happened.

That day we decided to visit the surplus store. Upon arriving we were flagged down by the people running it and asked how we were doing, the normal greeting id expect. Except almost immediately one of them starts asking me why I chose an m9 to carry, because at any time, he could remove the slide off of my gun, even with a round in it. Comparing it to my friends $300 S&W which was a hunk of garbage he said it was a much better gun then my m9, like I was suppose to just drop my gear and go buy new equipment. Without pause, he then proceeded to tell me, that because I use a level II CQC blackhawk SERPA that I was going to end up shooting myself in the leg due to it pushing on the trigger. (which is hilariously false, unloaded and hammer back I slammed that thing into the holster with enough force im suprised I didnt break it, and it never fired, not to mention the trigger doesnt work with the safety on...) I basically just nodded my head and looked the other way as he then told me that he worked for blackhawk, and told them NOT to see that holster because it was faulty.

After that he told me only people who do the *cool* thing to do (he compared it to how kids act emo... wtf?) carry serpas and after that I just walked away and funny enough went glove shopping right next to a police officer. (This guy WASNT the one claiming to be the bonds enforcer, it was the FBO's friend who ran the store with him.)

I proceeded to continue shopping as my friend was being interrogated by them and thats when they started asking him about his age and the arresting, etc, etc.

Was quite the interesting trip.
Sounds to me like this guy was used to dealing with customers who are extremely gullible and susceptible to peer pressure. Kudos to you for being neither.

TFred