Thread: Questions about open carrying

Questions about open carrying

I'm new to open carrying/even carrying a firearm at all so please deal with some of my nonsense and creating another one of these threads. After being suggested I carry a handgun from my brother and some of the guys at the fire department I volunteer at, I figured I would get one and will be getting it around 10 days from now (got to love black friday making stores sell out) and plan on open carrying it until I turn 21 and can get a CHP so I just wanted to verify everything before I get it and start carrying it. I just turned 20 and am worried about all of the laws. I know the legal age to open carry is 18 so that I'm not too worried about, but what do I say if I get asked questions from a police officer? Would it be a good idea to carry a "cheat sheet" of laws with me? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Alpengeist; 11-26-2011 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpengeist View Post
    snip
    I just educated a guy about this today while working at Dicks. You can search on this site about where you cannot carry (k-12 schools, courthouses, post office, etc). You can carry a cheat sheet if you would like until you are 100% familiar with the law. If an officer asks you about your sidearm, you can just continue on your way unless he is detaining you, which he will be required to have probable cause and such.

If you are over 18, you can purchase a firearm directly from a private (non FFL) seller.
    Words of advise:
    -Prepare yourself for the anti-crowd, though we dont have much issues here in the east with that, it still exists.
    -Always be on your best and kindest behavior...we have an image to keep up as we fight the bad vibes induced by the media.
    -know when to leave (when you have been asked by the owner of property)
    -Dress appropriately....thug attire as well as matrix wanna-be is not good image.
    -Do your best to not touch the sidearm as you carry as you might be pegged for "brandishing" if someone has a bad day.
    -learn how to proficiently draw from your holster (gun unloaded of course!) in case of need
    -understand your piece and how it works. Learn to be comfortable with carrying one in the chamber because when you need it, it is highly unlikely that you will have time to rack the slide.

It might seem overwhelming at first, but it becomes muscle memory and second nature after a little while.

im sure others have their words of advise too!
    Last edited by DJEEPER; 11-26-2011 at 01:38 AM.

well,,,

sure i have some advice....

delete your post,,,, words you have used to describe the way you are getting a gun
    will be used by some here to describe an illegal "straw purchase"...

you would not be in trouble for that, but your brother could be.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Post edited...

Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by hunter45; 11-26-2011 at 09:42 AM.

how do you delete posts?
    and havent quite ordered it but were planning on calling in so nothing has happened yet
    Last edited by Alpengeist; 11-26-2011 at 01:21 AM.

wow!!!

Note to deejeeper and hunter45,,,
    delete your quotes from each other ,,, and the OP...
    otherwise deleting the offending words in the OP will still be in the public eye..
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

well,,

just use the edit post button at the bottom of your post,,, to remove any offending words or phrases.

holy crap can we please get a mod to delete this thread so this young man can start over fresh.

Editing your post doesn't matter when everyone quotes and repeats what you originally said *facepalm*

sent from my phone, excuse my grammar/spelling errors
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Glad we got that figured out

Welcome to the forum! You will find lots of great info here!

He is not old enough to buy a handgun from an FFL dealer but someone could purchase it as a present to him or he could find a private seller.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Hate to sidetrack, but what is illegal about purchasing one, and then selling privately to someone above 18 but under 21? Thought this was legal. Feel free to enlighten me here or by PM...

Otherwise, welcome to OC and the site!

Well,,,

It is all about the words...

I can buy a gun, that you like, with my money,,, then decide later to sell it to you.

But i cannot buy a gun, with your money, then give it to you.

Alpengeist,

Welcome to the forum. There are many people here who love to help out newbies (DJEEPER is a good example).

It might help if we knew what part of the state you're in; Alexandria is not like Buchanan is not like Williamsburg...

Sometimes folks around the state have open carry dinners. Recommend you consider attending if there's one in your area. It's a great chance to learn face-to-face from like-minded friends.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    I'm new to open carrying/even carrying a firearm at all so please deal with some of my nonsense and creating another one of these threads. After being suggested I carry a handgun from my brother and some of the guys at the fire department I volunteer at, I figured I would get one and will be getting it around 10 days from now (got to love black friday making stores sell out) and plan on open carrying it until I turn 21 and can get a CHP so I just wanted to verify everything before I get it and start carrying it. I just turned 20 and am worried about all of the laws. I know the legal age to open carry is 18 so that I'm not too worried about, but what do I say if I get asked questions from a police officer? Would it be a good idea to carry a "cheat sheet" of laws with me? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Though the grammar isn't good, I did not read that the brother is buying the firearm. I could infer it, but this post doesn't say so.I

It says that the suggestions to carry come from the brother and some of the guys at the fire department.

Alpengeist - ensure that the purchase is legal.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    carry a "cheat sheet" of laws with me
    Good idea. Welcome to the forum. Send me an envelope for some OC Info cards.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    Alpengeist,

Welcome to the forum. There are many people here who love to help out newbies (DJEEPER is a good example).

It might help if we knew what part of the state you're in; Alexandria is not like Buchanan is not like Williamsburg...

Sometimes folks around the state have open carry dinners. Recommend you consider attending if there's one in your area. It's a great chance to learn face-to-face from like-minded friends.
    I'll be carrying in the Hanover, Henrico, New Kent, and Richmond area.

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    Though the grammar isn't good, I did not read that the brother is buying the firearm. I could infer it, but this post doesn't say so.I

It says that the suggestions to carry come from the brother and some of the guys at the fire department.

Alpengeist - ensure that the purchase is legal.
    We will. We've been looking around at more of the laws today to ensure it will be. I pretty much just jumped the gun before we actually sat down and read/studied them however. Thank God nothing had been done yet.
    Last edited by Alpengeist; 11-26-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    I'll be carrying in the Hanover, Henrico, New Kent, and Richmond area.
    I wish I'd have known that. We had a Saturday breakfast this morning. Grapeshot, Skidmark, Speed and Scouser.
    They do it once a week normally. Keep an eye out for the Breakfast/Dinner threads.

There is an open carry dinner the first Tuesday of every month in your area.
    Last edited by peter nap; 11-26-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Catch a dinner with Paul, Dale, Peter, and if he can make it ProShooter. When i was new to open-carrying I hooked up with Paul. I am a firm believer that new open-carriers should acclimate themselves with the dinners, VCDL meetings and so on. Lot of knowledge in the names I just dropped. It won't hurt you to sit down with some of those guys and listen to what they have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I wish I'd have known that. We had a Saturday breakfast this morning. Grapeshot, Skidmark, Speed and Scouser.
    They do it once a week usually. Keep an eye out for the Breakfast/Dinner threads.

There is an open carry dinner the first Tuesday of every month in your area.
    I guess it's because Saturday only shows up once a week. Notice is usually posted by Friday evening.

And the Richmond OC dinners are on the second Tuesday of every month, unless there is a conflict with some other event. Notice usually goes up within the first few days of the month.

Rules for attendance at either the weekly breakfasts or monthly dinners are to show up. No RSVP needed. Just look for the group that seems to have most folks carrying and does not look like a cop convention - it's probably us. If you are not sure just ask where all the gun folks are sitting. You can OC, CC, or No-Carry as you like. Find a seat and introduce yourself, and then order food. The conversation will flow and you just jump in when and where you feel like it.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Oh and I forgot ED. Ed is one of the best high-profile activists we have. Only thing is he's in NOVA. You can follow VCDL on Facebook, just get ED to invite you. Start learning the laws and the code-of-conduct from those guys.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I guess it's because Saturday only shows up once a week. Notice is usually posted by Friday evening.

And the Richmond OC dinners are on the second Tuesday of every month, unless there is a conflict with some other event. Notice usually goes up within the first few days of the month.

Rules for attendance at either the weekly breakfasts or monthly dinners are to show up. No RSVP needed. Just look for the group that seems to have most folks carrying and does not look like a cop convention - it's probably us. If you are not sure just ask where all the gun folks are sitting. You can OC, CC, or No-Carry as you like. Find a seat and introduce yourself, and then order food. The conversation will flow and you just jump in when and where you feel like it.

stay safe.
    Details, details. What's a week

And don't let the fact you're 20 put you off of meeting for a breakfast or dinner, my (not quite) 2 year old son was there too. His birthday is 2 weeks after Christmas, someone else do the math for his exact age, I'm at the point that when asked I just say he's nearly 2.
    I think you will receive better advice face to face, that's been my experience anyway. I'm not saying that what you read is bad advice, but when you meet these other guys and hear their experiences you can make a better judgement of their character and knowledge than if you read their words and miss their 'in-jokes'. I really enjoy just listening to them talking.

Also, would I be allowed to carry it loaded with one in the chamber and also carry it in the car being under 21 or without a permit?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpengeist
    Also, would I be allowed to carry it loaded with one in the chamber and also carry it in the car being under 21 or without a permit?
    yes and yes

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dubya View Post
    Oh and I forgot ED. Ed is one of the best high-profile activists we have. Only thing is he's in NOVA. You can follow VCDL on Facebook, just get ED to invite you. Start learning the laws and the code-of-conduct from those guys.
    Thank you and...

VCDL on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/2372500698/

Virginia Open Carry on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/virginiaopencarry/
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)