• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about open carrying

Alpengeist

I'm new to open carrying/even carrying a firearm at all so please deal with some of my nonsense and creating another one of these threads. After being suggested I carry a handgun from my brother and some of the guys at the fire department I volunteer at, I figured I would get one and will be getting it around 10 days from now (got to love black friday making stores sell out) and plan on open carrying it until I turn 21 and can get a CHP so I just wanted to verify everything before I get it and start carrying it. I just turned 20 and am worried about all of the laws. I know the legal age to open carry is 18 so that I'm not too worried about, but what do I say if I get asked questions from a police officer? Would it be a good idea to carry a "cheat sheet" of laws with me? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

DJEEPER

I just educated a guy about this today while working at Dicks. You can search on this site about where you cannot carry (k-12 schools, courthouses, post office, etc). You can carry a cheat sheet if you would like until you are 100% familiar with the law. If an officer asks you about your sidearm, you can just continue on your way unless he is detaining you, which he will be required to have probable cause and such.

If you are over 18, you can purchase a firearm directly from a private (non FFL) seller.
Words of advise:
-Prepare yourself for the anti-crowd, though we dont have much issues here in the east with that, it still exists.
-Always be on your best and kindest behavior...we have an image to keep up as we fight the bad vibes induced by the media.
-know when to leave (when you have been asked by the owner of property)
-Dress appropriately....thug attire as well as matrix wanna-be is not good image.
-Do your best to not touch the sidearm as you carry as you might be pegged for "brandishing" if someone has a bad day.
-learn how to proficiently draw from your holster (gun unloaded of course!) in case of need
-understand your piece and how it works. Learn to be comfortable with carrying one in the chamber because when you need it, it is highly unlikely that you will have time to rack the slide.

It might seem overwhelming at first, but it becomes muscle memory and second nature after a little while.

im sure others have their words of advise too!

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well,,,

sure i have some advice....

delete your post,,,, words you have used to describe the way you are getting a gun
will be used by some here to describe an illegal "straw purchase"...

you would not be in trouble for that, but your brother could be.

Alpengeist

how do you delete posts?
and havent quite ordered it but were planning on calling in so nothing has happened yet

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
holy crap can we please get a mod to delete this thread so this young man can start over fresh.

Editing your post doesn't matter when everyone quotes and repeats what you originally said *facepalm*

sent from my phone, excuse my grammar/spelling errors

xmanhockey7

He is not old enough to buy a handgun from an FFL dealer but someone could purchase it as a present to him or he could find a private seller.

GreatDaneMan

Hate to sidetrack, but what is illegal about purchasing one, and then selling privately to someone above 18 but under 21? Thought this was legal. Feel free to enlighten me here or by PM...

Otherwise, welcome to OC and the site!

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Alpengeist,

Welcome to the forum. There are many people here who love to help out newbies (DJEEPER is a good example).

It might help if we knew what part of the state you're in; Alexandria is not like Buchanan is not like Williamsburg...

Sometimes folks around the state have open carry dinners. Recommend you consider attending if there's one in your area. It's a great chance to learn face-to-face from like-minded friends.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I'm new to open carrying/even carrying a firearm at all so please deal with some of my nonsense and creating another one of these threads. After being suggested I carry a handgun from my brother and some of the guys at the fire department I volunteer at, I figured I would get one and will be getting it around 10 days from now (got to love black friday making stores sell out) and plan on open carrying it until I turn 21 and can get a CHP so I just wanted to verify everything before I get it and start carrying it. I just turned 20 and am worried about all of the laws. I know the legal age to open carry is 18 so that I'm not too worried about, but what do I say if I get asked questions from a police officer? Would it be a good idea to carry a "cheat sheet" of laws with me? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Though the grammar isn't good, I did not read that the brother is buying the firearm. I could infer it, but this post doesn't say so.I

It says that the suggestions to carry come from the brother and some of the guys at the fire department.

Alpengeist - ensure that the purchase is legal.

Alpengeist

Alpengeist,

Welcome to the forum. There are many people here who love to help out newbies (DJEEPER is a good example).

It might help if we knew what part of the state you're in; Alexandria is not like Buchanan is not like Williamsburg...

Sometimes folks around the state have open carry dinners. Recommend you consider attending if there's one in your area. It's a great chance to learn face-to-face from like-minded friends.
I'll be carrying in the Hanover, Henrico, New Kent, and Richmond area.

Though the grammar isn't good, I did not read that the brother is buying the firearm. I could infer it, but this post doesn't say so.I

It says that the suggestions to carry come from the brother and some of the guys at the fire department.

Alpengeist - ensure that the purchase is legal.
We will. We've been looking around at more of the laws today to ensure it will be. I pretty much just jumped the gun before we actually sat down and read/studied them however. Thank God nothing had been done yet.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'll be carrying in the Hanover, Henrico, New Kent, and Richmond area.

I wish I'd have known that. We had a Saturday breakfast this morning. Grapeshot, Skidmark, Speed and Scouser.
They do it once a week normally. Keep an eye out for the Breakfast/Dinner threads.

There is an open carry dinner the first Tuesday of every month in your area.

Last edited:

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Catch a dinner with Paul, Dale, Peter, and if he can make it ProShooter. When i was new to open-carrying I hooked up with Paul. I am a firm believer that new open-carriers should acclimate themselves with the dinners, VCDL meetings and so on. Lot of knowledge in the names I just dropped. It won't hurt you to sit down with some of those guys and listen to what they have to say.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I wish I'd have known that. We had a Saturday breakfast this morning. Grapeshot, Skidmark, Speed and Scouser.
They do it once a week usually. Keep an eye out for the Breakfast/Dinner threads.

There is an open carry dinner the first Tuesday of every month in your area.

I guess it's because Saturday only shows up once a week.:lol: Notice is usually posted by Friday evening.

And the Richmond OC dinners are on the second Tuesday of every month, unless there is a conflict with some other event. Notice usually goes up within the first few days of the month.

Rules for attendance at either the weekly breakfasts or monthly dinners are to show up. No RSVP needed. Just look for the group that seems to have most folks carrying and does not look like a cop convention - it's probably us. If you are not sure just ask where all the gun folks are sitting. You can OC, CC, or No-Carry as you like. Find a seat and introduce yourself, and then order food. The conversation will flow and you just jump in when and where you feel like it.

stay safe.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Oh and I forgot ED. Ed is one of the best high-profile activists we have. Only thing is he's in NOVA. You can follow VCDL on Facebook, just get ED to invite you. Start learning the laws and the code-of-conduct from those guys.