Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Is carry in a hospital legal? How about the carry of a loaded magazine?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    virgnia
    Posts
    7

    Is carry in a hospital legal? How about the carry of a loaded magazine?

    First: Is it legal to oc a firearm inside a hospital in va?
    Second: Is it legal to have a magazine fully loaded in ur pocket while oc?

    I have searched all over the internet and cannot find the answer to either of these two questions. Thanks guys

  2. #2
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    1. Unless the hospital prohibits it, it is legal.

    2. It is perfectly legal to have in your pocket except in certain places like CourtHouses.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Quote Originally Posted by jefft2905 View Post
    First: Is it legal to oc a firearm inside a hospital in va?
    Second: Is it legal to have a magazine fully loaded in ur pocket while oc?

    I have searched all over the internet and cannot find the answer to either of these two questions. Thanks guys
    1. Most hospitals are private property. They set their own rules.

    2. What's the difference between in your (apparently your keyboard sticks - it missed the first two letters of that word) pocket or a mag pouch or a purse or any other carry container? I carry my spare mag in my left rear pocket, as a rule.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Uber_Olafsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    585
    INOVA fairfax is clearly posted as no guns but I am wondering if that is because part of it is VCU campus. Some of the others are not posted or may be but not clearly posted.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by Uber_Olafsun View Post
    INOVA fairfax is clearly posted as no guns but I am wondering if that is because part of it is VCU campus. Some of the others are not posted or may be but not clearly posted.
    INOVA Mount Vernon is not posted, at least it wasn't back in April when I had to visit my aunt there. I CC'ed every time I visited (largely because she is extremely anti, and I didn't want to give hospital security a reason to put up signs).
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by jefft2905 View Post
    Second: Is it legal to have a magazine fully loaded in ur pocket while oc?
    Very illegal, DON'T DO IT. You're best off leaving the magazine empty in your pocket with 15 loose rounds jumbled up in there.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  7. #7
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by schlitz View Post
    very illegal, don't do it. You're best off leaving the magazine empty in your pocket with 15 loose rounds jumbled up in there.
    cite!

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    cite!
    uhhhhh

    http://loadedmagazinelaws.trolling.gov

    sounds right.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  9. #9
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    cite!
    That would be a Hyperbole.

    TFred

  10. #10
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    This post reminds me yet once again of my question from a few months back:

    What do you do when a hospital claims it is unlawful to carry on their property, when clearly as noted here, it is not.

    This still steams me.

    TFred

  11. #11
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Uber_Olafsun View Post
    INOVA fairfax is clearly posted as no guns but I am wondering if that is because part of it is VCU campus.
    huh?
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,620
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    This post reminds me yet once again of my question from a few months back:

    What do you do when a hospital claims it is unlawful to carry on their property, when clearly as noted here, it is not.

    This still steams me.

    TFred
    There are certain things being explored/considered that will not be initiated until after the next GA session. First we shall give the GA the opportunity to correct some of these problems and if not will likely proceed with plans. The reasoning for this time line is that it will be cleaner for the GA to correct the problem and they won't consider it if there is pending litigation. So we pick our time and place.

    No, I won't say more on a public forum.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  14. #14
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Jeff, I forgot to welcome you to the forum!

  15. #15
    Regular Member paramedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Waycross, GA
    Posts
    118
    As a Paramedic I can tell you that there is not a hospital in the northern virginia area(inlcuding Potomac, and Prince William) that allows carry of a firearm. In fact I have never been in a hospitla that does allow carry, but of course cc, out of site out of mind.

    Just as a side not, Inova Fairfax hospital has absolutley nothing to do with VCU

  16. #16
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,620
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic View Post
    ...snip....
    In fact I have never been in a hospitla that does allow carry, but of course cc, out of site out of mind.
    I have OCd in 4 different hospitals in Va.

    In one I was escorted to Skidmark's room by their chief of security. Will have to check with Skid as to which hospital this was.

    Stand by.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Uber_Olafsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    huh?
    The side by the employee parking garage is labeled as VCU and has classrooms inside. It is right by the Biomed shop so I pass by every time I go into the building. I am wondering if that is why they are posted on every entrance.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Uber_Olafsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    585
    Just looked this up

    http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/inova/

    They consider it the INOVA campus.

  19. #19
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    JEFF2905, just out of curiosity, why do you ask about the magazine? have you had something that has brought up this question? did you think VA is like CA and you can only EOC ?
    IMO. there is no difference between the extra one in your pocket and the one in you sidearm
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic View Post
    As a Paramedic I can tell you that there is not a hospital in the northern virginia area(inlcuding Potomac, and Prince William) that allows carry of a firearm. In fact I have never been in a hospitla that does allow carry, but of course cc, out of site out of mind.

    Just as a side not, Inova Fairfax hospital has absolutley nothing to do with VCU
    As I said, Inova Mount Vernon Hospital is not posted. I checked them thoroughly both in January/February and again in April/May when my aunt was there for rehab after her fall, and later subdermal hematoma. They may have a policy against carry, but they have done nothing to communicate it to anyone visiting.

    As such, until they communicate such a policy to me, there is no law that prohibits my carrying there. Once they have communicated such a policy to me, then the only law that would prohibit it would be the law concerning tresspass.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

  21. #21
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    One of my doctors at Reston Hospital has offices right next to the hospital. His office building just posted so I told him I was gonna have to change doctors.. he said if anyone ever says anything to me, to tell them HE gave me permission.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  22. #22
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,620
    Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn View Post
    As I said, Inova Mount Vernon Hospital is not posted. I checked them thoroughly both in January/February and again in April/May when my aunt was there for rehab after her fall, and later subdermal hematoma. They may have a policy against carry, but they have done nothing to communicate it to anyone visiting.

    As such, until they communicate such a policy to me, there is no law that prohibits my carrying there. Once they have communicated such a policy to me, then the only law that would prohibit it would be the law concerning tresspass.
    If they are part of VCU, they may be covered under VAC regulation which does have the force of law. Won't get into that right now on this very public forum as there are several things in the works that would be premature to disclose.

    Do some digging and see if you can find out how they are structured and then get back with me off-line.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  23. #23
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    One of my doctors at Reston Hospital has offices right next to the hospital. His office building just posted so I told him I was gonna have to change doctors.. he said if anyone ever says anything to me, to tell them HE gave me permission.
    Unfortunately, that does absolutely nothing to dispel every other evil of "Gun Free Zones" that we have ever taken the time to articulate.

    TFred

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I have OCd in 4 different hospitals in Va.

    In one I was escorted to Skidmark's room by their chief of security. Will have to check with Skid as to which hospital this was.

    Stand by.
    Chippenham Hospital's Chief of Security accompanied you to my room when you visited - he did not escort you.

    The three of us had a very pleasant conversation, and then we had another pleasant conversation with the Floor Nurse. No minds were changed, but toleration was secured.

    And for the record, I have not been in that many hospitals that Grape should have any difficulty remembering which one. It's just that between the two of us we recently have been making too many starring appearances.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  25. #25
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,620
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Chippenham Hospital's Chief of Security accompanied you to my room when you visited - he did not escort you.
    Actually I was thinking about an occasion towards NoVa - wasn't there a similar situation there associated with the demise of your private vehicle?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •