• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Complete list of areas we can open carry

Jonathan Hoff

So far ok to OC:

-Shell gas station on I-17 & kipling
-Walmart on 72nd & sheridan
-711 on 67th & wadsworth
-starbucks on 52nd & kipling, 56th & wadsworth.
-711 - near 64th and ward in Arvada
-Marine Corps Memorial - the one past colorado mills mall
-Target- in arvada near I-25
-Jack In the Box - not sure the location but near a home depot MCM
-Holly West - in arvada near the wall mart
-Wall Mart - on arvada near I-25 heading toward colorado mills mall

not to OC
-Denver
-denver mountain park system ie. winter park
-can't open carry 1,000 feet near schools
-anywhere that has permanent security such as metal detectors.
-Federal government buildings, no carry (including the post office)
-IKEA is anti
-Buffalo Wild Wings
-Kohl's *

* I've personally been into Kohl's while openly carrying my gun on a leg holster, We were christmas shopping and walked all around the store looking for a thermometer, and spent quite a while walking around the store looking for gift ideas :) never got any strange looks and greeted every one with a smile. while we were checking out the lady at the cash regster pulled the wrong tender and had to have the manager com to her register. they fixed the problem. Ill have to find the address but no issues and a store manager even came by us and no issues. Pretty hassle free.

Last edited:

Justin_27

I'm also pretty interested in a list of places and after looking through
all 47 pages still haven't found much more then a place here and there
so i've just been going off of trial and error.

A few places i've been and had no issues:

Shell gas station on I-17 & kipling
Walmart on 72nd & sheridan
711 on 67th & wadsworth
starbucks on 52nd & kipling, 56th & wadsworth.

Hope that helps your list a bit.

Shooter McGee

the list of where not to OC is much easier to write. so denver, denver mountain park system(winter park and the likes) and denver county are off limits. can't open carry near schools or anywhere that has permanent security such as metal detectors. state has preemption over all local firearm ordinances. everywhere else is open unless posted otherwise at all and every public entrance. any business or other private property doesn't have to post 'no open carry' but they can ask you to disarm or leave and you'll have to so as to not get a trespass charge. this link covers all colorado revised statutes for carrying firearms. anything else just ask.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...en-Carry-Freedom-Card-For-All-OC-ers-To-Carry

welcome to the forum and keep open carrying. or as someone else here said 'open carry on'.

PikesPeakMtnMan

The great thing about Colorado is there are very few places that we can't, or shouldn't carry. Friendorfoe.us is helpful (and YOU can contribute to it) but as most of the members here will tell you chances are that no matter where you go in CO you're unlikely to run into any problems.

Shooter McGee

I'm also pretty interested in a list of places and after looking through
all 47 pages still haven't found much more then a place here and there
so i've just been going off of trial and error.

A few places i've been and had no issues:

Shell gas station on I-17 & kipling
Walmart on 72nd & sheridan
711 on 67th & wadsworth
starbucks on 52nd & kipling, 56th & wadsworth.

Hope that helps your list a bit.

you are not going to find much of a 'list' per say of where you can OC but for sure a list of where you can't OC. it really is a trial by error deal and to boot there is not many of us out there testing the waters. you'll find the manager or employee or customer at one 'chain store/restaurant' location is cool but another manager or employee or customer at a different location of the same 'chain store/restaurant' is not so cool. bottom line is there is really no definitive list of where it is ok. one home depot might be ok and another is not and you'll find yourself writing to corporate offices for clarification. it is more of a find out for yourself. just remember, if you are well within your rights it doesn't matter that someone is uncomfortable. just because someone is uncomfortable doesn't mean your rights just go out the window but always try to be diplomatic as at that point you are acting as our representative for OC. you can dip your toes or just dive right in. but do please post any locations that you know are ok with OC as it only helps us all.

edit: most places it depends on whether or not a particular customer or employee complains in conjunction with the managers attitude towards firearms. i've had managers tell complainers that i am well within my rights and am not breaking any laws as well as the other way around. i have OC'ed at a location before and no sweat. same location 2 days later and some boulderites pointed me out and i was asked to disarm or leave. left full cart in middle of the aisle and went to king soopers. i always keep a couple of copies of this to hand them on my out the door.

"I am legally allowed by the State of Colorado to wear this weapon openly for my personal safety. If it is your corporate policy to prohibit in-store display of a holstered side-arm, then I will be more than happy to respect that policy out of respect for your property rights. You should understand that this policy places my personal safety at risk by requiring me to disarm while in your store, affording an "unarmed" target for any violent criminal present. Then after exiting your store, for my personal safety, I must openly display it while walking to my parked vehicle since your store provides no tangible security for your customers inside or outside. I will happily take my business to one of your many competitors that respects the life and safety of its customers." i use/stole this from this forum, i believe, from another poster.

open carry on.

Last edited:

Beau

Are you looking for a list of place where OC is prohibited by law or just a list of places that don't want you OC'ing there?

can't open carry near schools
Not sure on this one. Without a permit one can not carry with in 1000 feet of a school. With a permit you can. I don't know if it is specified if you have to be CC though.

Jonathan Hoff

honestly a list of places containing both "not to carry in" and places "its fine to carry" but reading this post has cleared up quite a few things and has been extremely helpful and informative for me!

thanks gents,

Beau

honestly a list of places containing both "not to carry in" and places "its fine to carry" but reading this post has cleared up quite a few things and has been extremely helpful and informative for me!

thanks gents,
Well like shooter said. If it's legal to CC there it's legal to OC. The only exception is Denver county and Denver owned property.

Though some would disagree, signs do not carry force of law in CO, (IANAL). Be prepared to be asked to leave and do not argue if asked. If you do you're setting yourself up for a trespass ticket.

As far as business against carry. Pretty much any mall. Most are owned by Simon Malls which is notoriously anti. I was kicked out of Kohl's for OC. Buffalo Wild Wings is posted no firearms. IKEA is anti. That's all I can think of that I know from personal experience.

Jonathan Hoff

ok so im thinking i will edit my top post to contain the areas off limites and allowed, to include more closely places and such such as stores. ect

Gunslinger

Keep in mind that one store may be fine with OC and the same store in a different location not. Someone had posted a Liquor Outlet in COS asked an OCer to leave. I OCed in the Falcon store Wednesday with no problem. There is no hard and fast list than can be made with 100% assurance.

Jonathan Hoff

im begining to relises this. i guess it makes it a very hard topic to post on accurately. but if a list was gathered and made it would be helpful. but trial and error are the best method as of right now it seems. ill be carrying tonight and tomorrow so ill list the few places i travel in and around.

mahkagari

Buffalo Wild Wings is posted no firearms.

Sauce on your hands really screws with your accuracy, anyhow.

OP, keep in mind CO is a very large state. A definitive list of places that XYZ is a tall order.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
First, I wish to thank you for your service to our country. I am certain everyone here appreciates the sacrifices you made on behalf of freedom.
Now that you've defended our freedom, you can start to enjoy that freedom. Where such freedom is denied, also avoid. They are the enemies of freedom. Fortunately, they are very few.

City and county of Denver does not uphold liberty. Their stance against open carry, together with breaking up folks exercising their right to peacable assembly, tell you all ya need to know about what they're all about.

Schools are not about freedom either, but about programming the next generation and indoctrinating young minds to social conformity. They have a "gun free school zone" thing that makes criminals of any law abiding citizen if they are discovered armed near a school. Meanwhile, criminals are not apt to be deterred by a sign prohibiting carrying a firearm when they are motivated to break a whole plethora of other laws, such as those prohibiting shooting at people. The gun free school zone laws ensure nobody can shoot back to defend those kids. (i.e. Columbine!)

Government buildings are out too, again because liberty isn't what they seek to promote. Should governments become repressive, the last thing they'd care to have is the ability of people to use that 2nd amendment right to arms to address their grievances. So long as their right to petition government for redress of grievances is limited to such locations where protesters may be criminally assaulted with pepper spray (without due cause and while posing no threat of force), then government need not concern itself with such shenannigans, and such grievances glibly ignored.

There are some private businesses that will post "No Firearms", and whenever you go to a park, check their signage to determine whether firearms are prohibited there as well. If, while going to a business, you are asked to leave because you are armed, comply. Do according to their demand or risk arrest for trespassing. Just remember who they are, and never give them another dime of your money, and discourage others from doing so as well.

For the most part, I have not experienced any problems carrying darn near everywhere I go. From the day I started carrying openely, I have not yet had any troubles with carrying my sidearm anywhere I cared to go. Nobody has asked me to leave a location, and nobody has told me I can't carry wherever I do business. Where my 2a right is undermined, I do not go, nor spend money in their location. (i.e. City and County of Denver).

There will ever be those who hate our freedoms! Do not lend them ammunition!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

JamesB

Howdy Amigo!

...snip Government buildings are out too, again because liberty isn't what they seek to promote.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Clarification: Federal government buildings, no carry (including the post office). State and local government buildings, can only ban if they have metal detectors. I carry into DMV all the time. Most of the small cities throughout the state you can also carry straight into the city council chamber or anywhere else.

Jonathan Hoff

right on this site is helping quite a bit.

today i open carried my bodyguard .380 and recorded audio while spending time with my father. some of the places we went to include:

711 - near 64th and ward in Arvada
Marine Corps Memorial - the one past colorado mills mall
Target- in arvada near I-25
Jack In the Box - not sure the location but near a home depot and the Marine Corps Memorial
Holly West - in arvada near the wall mart
Wall Mart - on arvada near I-25 heading toward colorado mills mall

once again im sorry about not posting the address im kinda horrible with the streets sadly.

I will add this list to my above post for this topic as well as a list of others that people have posted.

M-Taliesin

right on this site is helping quite a bit.

today i open carried my bodyguard .380 and recorded audio while spending time with my father. some of the places we went to include:

I will add this list to my above post for this topic as well as a list of others that people have posted.

Howdy Amigo!
And I'll bet a Morgan silver dollar that you didn't run into any problems on your outing either! LOL!
There just won't be much hassle anywhere you go in Colorado. You might get a question or two from curious folks who wonder why you're armed, but usually a simple answer will resolve their concerns.

As a case in point, I am overdue in writing about a meet-up we held in Aurora, and questions from a young man with his family.
Now that I'm thinking on it, guess I'll start a new thread to talk about that encounter.

Just remember, you're a marine. You don't ask permission to exercise the rights you defended.
You take point, and lead the way!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

JamesB

So far ok to OC:

-Marine Corps Memorial - the one past colorado mills mall <----corner of Colfax and Hwy 6
-Target- in arvada near I-25
-Jack In the Box - not sure the location but near a home depot MCM <----this is the West Colfax location, again at the corner of 6th

not to OC

You seem to have a pretty good handle on things. Perhaps you would also like to look at this list:
http://www.rmgo.org/index.php?option=com_locator&view=directory&layout=combined&Itemid=206