• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster type?

KainVictus

I haven't been able to find this and I'm sure someone here knows. I'll be coming home on leave soon and I plan on open carrying the entire time I'm home. I want to be sure that I get the proper holster for my outing. Do I have to have a retention holster or is a friction holster ok to have?

Dreamer

I haven't been able to find this and I'm sure someone here knows. I'll be coming home on leave soon and I plan on open carrying the entire time I'm home. I want to be sure that I get the proper holster for my outing. Do I have to have a retention holster or is a friction holster ok to have?

If your home is in MD, then the only option you have for Open Carry off your private property is "EHOC"--Empty-Holster Open Carry. Unless you have an ultra-rare Maryland "Permit to Cary a Handgun", and you live in a municipality or county that doesn't have "Public Display of Firearms Bans" on the books (which are pretty rare), then you CAN'T OC in MD anywhere, any time, for any reason, unless you are on your own privaate property, or on a range.

But if your home is in a free state, your OC options may be much less restrictive. IF you are going to OC in public, there is no requirement in ANY state for holster type, but the general consensus is that some sort of retention holster (active retention like a Serpa, or a thumb-strap) is preferable, if for no other reason than it helps keep your firearm in place and secure if you have to run, or you take a tumble, or you are going to be getting in and out of a vehicle and might snag it on the seatbelt or something.

If you let us know what state you call "home", we can help you better with regards to OC issues...

Good luck in your OC, and thank you for your service to our country!

Dreamer

Not to be too much of a smartass I did post this in a NC forum. . .I'm stationed in MD I live in NC

Then please disregard the first paragraph of my previous post....

NC is pretty OC-friendly, and as long as you know the "prohibited places" like restaurants that serve alcohol and places that charge admission (movie theaters, etc), you should be good to go.

There is no law about the kind of holster you must use. Wear what you are comfortable and familiar with. I prefer a retention holster of some sort for OC, and I have trained with the Serpa with my 1911 and my Glock, so I feel very comfortable with it and have a lot of confidence in that platform.

Some folks prefer leather with a thumb strap.

Wear the holster that:

1) you trust,
2) is comfortable,
3) is safe and secure,
4) fits your gun correctly, and
5) you like the looks of...

Since you are military (Navy or Marines, I assume) you are probably already familiar with the Serpa Duty Holster which has the Level 3 hood system. They are bulky, slow to draw, and ugly, Don't judge the other Serpas by the Level 3 Duty Holsters. The level 2 Serpa CQC is one of the most secure, fast, comfy, rugged, and good-looking holsters for OC out there, in my opinion.

I have uses Serpa CQC's for daily carry of a Glock 36 and a Para Ordnance P-14.45 for over three years and I trust them implicitly. I also use my Serpa/Para rig for USPSA competition, and it has performed flawlessly in that high-pressure environment, which involved running, banging into barriers, and rolling around on the ground.

But if you prefer leather, then there are plenty of great brands out there, depending on the specific firearm you are carrying.

If you feel comfortable with a "friction retention" holster (leather or kydex) then wear it.

Personally, I prefer some sort of mechanical retention like the Serpa, or a thumb snap (like on my Bianchi Special Agent, or some of the Galcos I own). The only time I wear a holster with "friction retention" is when I CC--I have a Galco SSS for the Para and a Galco IWB holster for the Glock and neither of them have any sort of mechanical retention--but if the BG can't see it, he can't grab it, right? ;-)

It's YOUR gun, it's YOUR decision.

But no matter what you end up going with, you need to practice with it, so you have the retention system down as a reflex that you don't have to think about to manipulate safely, quickly, and effectively.

Good luck, and Carry On!

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
check out the safariland ALS. The thumb level is very natural and doesn't take much training to get used to. Plus, you don't have to be using your trigger finger to draw the gun.

Dreamer

check out the safariland ALS. The thumb level is very natural and doesn't take much training to get used to. Plus, you don't have to be using your trigger finger to draw the gun.

Yes, the ALS is a very popular holster, and it offers a unique method of mechanical retention that is activated by you thumb, rather than the index finger (like the Serpa). I've never owned one, but I'm starting to think that perhaps I need to pick one up, because people who DO have them all seem to SWEAR by them...

Another alternative is the Bianchi "PaddleLok" and "CarryLok" holsters, which use a thumb-activated system similar to the Safariland ALS, but are available in leather finished (brown and black) in case you want something with a little more "upscale" looks than the polymers that the Serpa and ALS are made of...

83_l.jpg

Last edited:

KainVictus

Yes, the ALS is a very popular holster, and it offers a unique method of mechanical retention that is activated by you thumb, rather than the index finger (like the Serpa). I've never owned one, but I'm starting to think that perhaps I need to pick one up, because people who DO have them all seem to SWEAR by them...

Another alternative is the Bianchi "PaddleLok" and "CarryLok" holsters, which use a thumb-activated system similar to the Safariland ALS, but are available in leather finished (brown and black) in case you want something with a little more "upscale" looks than the polymers that the Serpa and ALS are made of...

83_l.jpg

Yeah as nice as that bianchi would be I carry the Baretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W which you're particular leather holster doesn't seem to like.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran

I should warn you, if you get the ALS you might just sell your serpa (i did) I didn't think you could get a more natural draw from a retention holster when I had a serpa. I got the ALS and sold the serpa immediately, I knew I'd never use it again. (not saying the serpa was bad-its a solid holster)

Just for kuddos the ALS is suede lined ;)

sent from my phone, excuse my grammar/spelling errors