• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Howdy. . . .

The_Pennsylvanian

Longtime Lurker, first time poster.

I am a ten-year Wisconsin resident, a Pennsylvania transplant. I just want to say that this is THE most informative forum out there ! I have been following the threads here for well over a year now , and with my CCW application filled out I thought it was time to make an account. I would like to thank all of you, and especially the members of Wisconsin Carry, for fighting for our rights and getting one step closer to Constitional Carry. I look forward to being able to interact with all of you.

Have a great day !

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome aboard. There are a lot of good people here and they're more than willing to share their knowledge.
Good things happening in Wisconsin - get involved and be part of the solution. :D

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Welcome!

Hi there, Pennsylvanian! C'mon in, pull up a chair, take your shoes off and put your feet up! Welcome to the [strike]Melting Pot[/strike] forum. If you've been lurking and you still are up for joining us that means you are tolerant of a variety of viewpoints and personalities. Let's hear about yours....

The_Pennsylvanian

Thanks for the welcome everyone !

Well, when I first moved here, I was appalled at the restrictive carry methods imposed by the legislature. PA has had LTCF for years and it really threw me a curveball when I moved out here. Now, being that I was twenty-two and a single apartment dweller at the time , it didn't bother me perhaps as much as it should have. I admit, I was undereducated regarding response times of law enforcement in this state, and the thought of purchasing a weapon never occurred to me. Now, as a husband and a father with a permanent residence, things have changed a bit. I still lock my doors at night, as I have since day one. It's comforting to me to know that I will soon have a sidearm to defend my family , and my country with should I need to.

Long story short, GOIN' GUN SHOPPING SOON ! ! !:banana:

Last edited:

thieltech

id say welcome , but i think im newer to the site then u lol . have fun gun shopping ! i always have a hard time choosing :):) .

wild boar

Welcome sir,and or, whatever.

We do have a diverse fodder of talent here, as for me,.......well, I'm the boar, the others will have to speak for themselves. boar out.

XDFDE45

Welcome aboard and glad to have another carrier among us
occasion14.gif

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Welcome aboard!

id say welcome , but i think im newer to the site then u lol . have fun gun shopping ! i always have a hard time choosing :):) .

This made me laugh. Friday I went out to get the black friday deal on the LCR .357 I've een eyeing up for months. Then the sales guy showed me the LC9 and I couln't decide.

I pick up both tomorrow...

The_Pennsylvanian

And I thought. I had problems ! Right now I'm trying to choose between a 1911 chambered in 9mm or a CZ-75. Both are good, solid, reliable platforms. . .both have a cult following. I'very never fired a semi-auto before ; I used to carry a S& W Police Positive. 38 Special, two inch barrel. It was the single most inaccurate weapon I'be ever handled. So I decided to go the semi-auto route. Haven't picked one up yet, feel kinda nekkid without that weight on my hip. I am looking forward to carrying again. It's great to see so many positive attitudes here, you folks folks really know how to make a body feel welcome !

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
A lot of people are partial to their platforms of choice. Some people will swear to the Glock, while others won't look at anything but a Springfield. Definitely hold on to a few different pieces, and try to find a range that will rent the guns.

I know MWShooters in Lomira WI will rent out guns for people to try. And depending on where you are I'm sure several of the members here will be willing to meet up and let you fire a few rounds out of the weapons of their choice.

The_Pennsylvanian

I was able to handle a Glock at the local gun store ; they seemd very pro-Glock. It also struck me that he was trying to steer me away from the CZ , which I found funny considering its reliability .My reasoning for a 1911 is that it'd be hard to find a gunsmith that DOESN'T know how to work on one . As far as not getting it in the traditional .45ACP , I have concerns about the recoil kicking my butt. I'm not a very big dude , lol .

I guess it comes down to firing one and see how I like it ! Sadly , the local range does not rent , so I shall have to find one that does .

( My shooting is probably so rusty by now that I'd be better off carrying THIS : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Grenade_launcher_wz.83_Pallad_D.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
...snip...
As far as not getting it in the traditional .45ACP , I have concerns about the recoil kicking my butt. I'm not a very big dude , lol .

I'm a shadow of my former self (135#) - too many rough miles down the road :D and I carry and shoot .45 ACP in a 1911 platform.

There are many things that contribute to perceived/felt recoil: weight of gun (heavier is better), grip angle, center line of barrel, balance, weight of bullet, powder loading to name a few. John Browning's design addresses these gun characteristics very effectively.

Bottom line though is that you will carry and shoot what feels best to you personally. Look for friends that will allow you to put some shots down range - most will be happy to help you.

protias

And I thought. I had problems ! Right now I'm trying to choose between a 1911 chambered in 9mm or a CZ-75. Both are good, solid, reliable platforms. . .both have a cult following. I'very never fired a semi-auto before ; I used to carry a S& W Police Positive. 38 Special, two inch barrel. It was the single most inaccurate weapon I'be ever handled. So I decided to go the semi-auto route. Haven't picked one up yet, feel kinda nekkid without that weight on my hip. I am looking forward to carrying again. It's great to see so many positive attitudes here, you folks folks really know how to make a body feel welcome !

If you prefer a wheel gun, look at the Ruger SP101. I didn't like the grip it came with, so I installed the Hogue grip. There is an Uncle Mike's one that may be more suitable for CC.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
It has 110 different angle/height adjustments...

I was able to handle a Glock at the local gun store ; they seemd very pro-Glock. It also struck me that he was trying to steer me away from the CZ , which I found funny considering its reliability .My reasoning for a 1911 is that it'd be hard to find a gunsmith that DOESN'T know how to work on one . As far as not getting it in the traditional .45ACP , I have concerns about the recoil kicking my butt. I'm not a very big dude , lol .

Since it sounds like you are thinking of the same gun for OC AND CCW, you also need to consider the physical size of the gun. Some guys can hide a full size 1911 and some guys look like they are packing the kitchen sink! As far as recoil, What Grapeshot said seems to be the norm with a 1911; it's no big deal. With good grip mechanics, you really don't notice the recoil after while....

I've always carried a single stack 5" 1911 in a Smart Carry holster, but lately I have been experimenting with Cleveland's IWB "Ugly Holster" made right here in Wisconsin. The only problem I've run into (besides putting on some weight this Fall...) is the fact that it has 110 different angle/height adjustments and I haven't figured out the best one for me yet! When I find my sweet spot for carrying I'll put up some pictures.
:cool:

The_Pennsylvanian

Dave , That DEFINITELY sounds worth looking into .
Yes , I am looking at using the same weapon for OC/CC . I stand 6' in my socks and weigh about 150-160 , so it's nice to see there's people smaller than me that EDC a 1911 , now I have hope !

Can't wait for that tax money to roll in and go gun shopping !