• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in KY state park campgrounds?

Cgm2414

So I know this may be a stupid question but, I have searched and can't seem to find an answer, So I know that it is legal in state parks but what about the campgrounds? I just started OCing pretty regularly and enjoy camping in state parks during the summer but I can't seem to find regulations anywhere

langzaiguy

Simply put, yes, OC is fine in KY state parks. However, OC currently isn't prohibited in state nature preserves. There can be some overlap--Natural Bridge is both a state park and a state nature preserve, therefore, OC is currently not allowed (though I have). This regulation is in the middle of changing and it will hopefully be done away with in December.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
The nature preserve regulation was changed several months ago, 400 KAR 2:090. Open carry is legal in nature preserves.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Well that is ridiculous, I was under the impression that you and several others had remedied this problem. Who could I contact to add another voice to the cause?

langzaiguy

Gutshot and I have been in contact with Don Dott of the Nature Preserve Commission and Dave Nicholas of the LRC. My impression was that Dave was friendly towards firearms, and I believe Gutshot's impression of Don was the same. There's just so much red tape and bureaucracy to cut through. My last correspondence with Dave was in Sept when he wrote, "It has to be reviewed by our committee and then referred to a second committee for review. Effective date early Dec. to Early Jan."

If anyone chooses to correspond with these individuals, I would take things calm, rational, and respectful. I still view these guys as resources rather than barriers. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, Gutshot.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Never said they were our enemies, just didn't know where things stood with the ordeal! And I must say that I would probably speak to anyone with calm, courteous, and respectful words, unless they spoke to me in a way that wasn't one of the above first.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Well, then I sincerely apologize for the assumption, since I've been attacked several times for simply stating how I truly feel on a few subjects, I get a little defensive. My apologies..