• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Control Stats

dimitri2sword

Hello All,

I am conducting a project for the cause of Open Carry, and I was looking for Statistics on the correlation between Open carry permission and the crime rate in areas with lots of open carriers

--Thanks peeps!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hello All,

I am conducting a project for the cause of Open Carry, and I was looking for Statistics on the correlation between Open carry permission and the crime rate in areas with lots of open carriers

--Thanks peeps!!!

What project might that be? Are you presently in the USA visiting or are you still in Russia?

Generally the is no permission required to OC (open carry) and there are numerous studies demonstrating that when more guns are in the hands of law abiding citizens, crime decreases proportionally. On the other hand, I know of no study/research data specific to OC - it is difficult to prove what seldom happens.

BTW - your thread title (Gun Control Stats) seems most inconsistent with your stated purpose of "conducting a project for the cause of Open Carry."

Dreamer

Hello All,

--Thanks peeps!!!

If you are doing a genuinely academic piece of research I would point you toward the work of the imminent Dr. John Lott, specifically his book "More Guns, Less Crime". His research is bullet-proof, his premises are solid, and he uses more footnotes in his average article than most Ph.D. candidates use in their entire thesis...

http://www.amazon.com/More-Guns-Les...3660/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322441489&sr=8-1

Also, Dr. Lotts book "The Bias Against Guns" is a seminal work on the very topic you seem to be researching, so you may want to get a copy of that one too:

http://www.amazon.com/Bias-Against-...1146/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322441489&sr=8-2

And of course, you should visit his blog frequently--he discusses MANY issues there, and debunks faulty fear-based propaganda about a number of topics, and uses solid statistical research, empirical logic and fundamental scientific methods to prove his points...

http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

It is unknown how many other crimes are stopped because if a crime never happens, it is never reported.

As an example (no cite), a VCDL Board member was OCing in his bank and talking to a teller when a man came in the side door pulling a ski mask over his face. The BG saw the OCer, spun around and left. The teller immediately told her customer what she had seen as she knew him well and knew he carried openly. It happened so fast he never saw the BG.

Dreamer

excellent reference protias & dreamer...appreciate

wabbit

Thank you, and thanks to "protias" for reminding people of the "Gunfacts" website. EVERY person who is involved in 2A rights needs to download the free PDF from this website, and read it cover to cover. It is a treasure trove of "factual ammunition" for shooting down the lies and propaganda of the "antis".

Just start pointing to REAL cademic and government studies, statistics and facts in rebuttal of their emotional, fallacy-filled BS, and watch their heads explode.

But be warned, causing extreme cognitive dissonance in the mind of a frothing "anti" can cause them to resort to acts of physical violence... :eek:

protias

Thank you, and thanks to "protias" for reminding people of the "Gunfacts" website. EVERY person who is involved in 2A rights needs to download the free PDF from this website, and read it cover to cover. It is a treasure trove of "factual ammunition" for shooting down the lies and propaganda of the "antis".

Just start pointing to REAL cademic and government studies, statistics and facts in rebuttal of their emotional, fallacy-filled BS, and watch their heads explode.

But be warned, causing extreme cognitive dissonance in the mind of a frothing "anti" can cause them to resort to acts of physical violence... :eek:

Even after you read Gun Facts, read it again, and again, and then once more. Every update they've made has had a lot more information and will help, especially when you talk with someone on the fence. Speaking of which, I was at an OC dinner last night and as I was walking in, a couple had stopped me, and asked me a few questions regarding the law. The one place I had said is you cannot have a loaded firearm on school property and she said, "That's pretty much common sense," to which I replied, "How many crimes happen in these magical gun free zones?" It is like the light bulb went on! :banana:

Carry On!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Good job protias.

Gun Facts should be required reading for all - the documentation will never cease, it will always be a "work in progress."