Thread: where to put your firearm while driving?

where to put your firearm while driving?

decided to carry a little bit today, came to the conclusion its not very comfy driving, gun rest where the seat belt connects. what are some of your fixes for this besides glove box or console.

I usually move my retention holster to the back of my pants and carry as usual. It doesn't bother me there in a seated position, but i'm a girl. I don't expect most men or smaller ladies to be able to do that and have better results than keeping it at the hip.

If i'm going somewhere i can't carry, i stash it under the seat (holster and all).

Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar
    Holster it on your left side with the butt forward (cross draw fashion)

It'll keep it from banging against the seatbelt holder and also make it a lot easier to draw from the sitting position.
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

Since I carry at between 2:30 and 3 o'clock in a zero-cant holster I do not seem to run into the problem. The most I need to do is adjust the belt to either ride across the outside of the holster (like cinching it down) or just above the grip so it does not interfere with the draw stroke.

Practicing with an unloaded handgun is essential both so you can figure out where to position your holster around the seatbelt and so you can know you can draw without getting hung up on anything (steering wheel, seatbelt, shifter knobs, etc.). It also lets you figure out just how large an arc you will not be able to cover from a seated, belted position.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    I am EXTREMELY car anal so the protection of my car takes precedence which means I shift my holster towards my front a little to make sure I clear both my seat belt catch and my seat back bolsters. The only other place I put my guns when driving (on the chance occasions I find this needed) is in one of my cup holders. I never lay my gun on my front passenger seat. Too easy to have it suddenly find its way to the foot well in a hard stop.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

I guess that depends on how much of you there is... I'm 6'4" 185lbs. Very little of that jiggles. I find the giant paddle on my Serpa to be entirely unobtrusive. In a car, or all scrunched up on my tiny excuse for a motorcycle. Put it at 9 O'Clock and everything is fine... Course, I don't need a belt to keep my pants up, either; even with a loaded 1911 hanging off of them. They're not tight, relaxed fit jeans, actually. BDU pants, too. I suppose this is very body-type dependent... Not trying to make any fat jokes... Just saying. It's one more reason for the portly to find a treadmill... ;-) Oh, I'm also right-handed cross-draw, to clarify why 9 O'Clock works so well for me. When I'm the passenger, the belt just goes over it, almost like I'm buckling the gun in, too. And Lord knows, I want my gun to be safe in case of an accident... :-p I'm not wide enough to touch either side of the seat, so there is plenty of clearance for the gun and seat belt wherever I park my butt.

And seriously, I'm not trying to make fun of anyone. It's just one more reason.
    Last edited by ixtow; 11-27-2011 at 10:59 PM.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

I put it in my holster

Not quite sure of the purpose of this thread. With most right-handed holsters, it's usually a position just to the right of one's seat-belt.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

the purpose of this thread was to satisfy my curiosity, and to ask how others carried theirs. the question of this thread apparently flew over your head about 5 feet

On trips to town, or trips under and hour or so, I just move it slightly forward to about 2:30 (FNX-9 in a serpa, slight forward cant). If I know I won't be stopping for a few hours, I'll move it out of my holster (safety on) to a flexible IWB holster that I wedge between the seat and the console in my Escape. I know it won't stay there in a bigger accident, but as long as I'm upright and not totaled it'll stay there.

I clip the LCP's holster to the cup holder.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

I think your holster makes a lot of difference. I usually carry a CZ85 at 3 o'clock, the belt just clips over the holster. Alternate carry may be a CZ 82, or a Colt Revolver, all the same place, but with different holsters for each. The Colt is a bit big, and I have to work it in place over the edge of the seat, but once it is there, it is fine.

Just drove over the pass last weekend, when seated, I did not even notice the 85 was even on. Personally, I would never intentially put the pistol anywhere loose where it could be thrown about in an accident.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis C View Post
    the purpose of this thread was to satisfy my curiosity, and to ask how others carried theirs. the question of this thread apparently flew over your head about 5 feet
    Now that remark is sure to ingratiate you with the locals here. Try again... we ARE here to help.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Now that remark is sure to ingratiate you with the locals here. Try again... we ARE here to help.
    that was a reply to since9 post. should have put it in quotes, everyone else has been very helpful, sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by frommycolddeadhands View Post
    Holster it on your left side with the butt forward (cross draw fashion)

It'll keep it from banging against the seatbelt holder and also make it a lot easier to draw from the sitting position.
    Same here.

And, I always transfer the gun and holster back to my right side before I get out of the vehicle.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

the holster i have is a uncle mike side kick for my taurus 85, its the only fault i've seen with it so far.

I unholster and place it under my right thigh or in between the seat and center console...

Being right handed, if my seatbelt interacts with my holster, it usually just a minor adjustment of the holster, back or forward. I usualy wear mine at the 3-4 o'clock position. I usually use either a couple of paddle hoslters, a kydex (Palmetto), or Glock Sports Combat holster.

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    i carry 2 guns. my glock 23 is in a butt forward cant in a serpa, so it doesn't stab into the seat and the belt just goes across the holster, i can draw easily and have no issues. my second weapon is a Beretta 92 inox, which i carry in a Miami classic leather horizontal shoulder holster. so that's well out of the way as well. only issues i have is when i CC in a IWB with my glock, gets a bit uncompfy seeing as i carry between 4 and 5 o'clock
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

I clench it firmly between my teeth. On top of the bayonet, but under the cell phone. that way is not just sliding around on the seat, plus it is real handy if I need it quickly. additionally, when I get pulled over for ignoring the speed limit sign, I don't even have to tell John Law that I gotta gun. I can't believe that I am the only one that uses this efficient and safe method!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tacky, yet unrefined...

roN

Quote Originally Posted by 6L6GC View Post
    I clench it firmly between my teeth. On top of the bayonet, but under the cell phone. that way is not just sliding around on the seat, plus it is real handy if I need it quickly. additionally, when I get pulled over for ignoring the speed limit sign, I don't even have to tell John Law that I gotta gun. I can't believe that I am the only one that uses this efficient and safe method!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tacky, yet unrefined...

roN
    not to firmly i hope, you hit a big bump you could chip a tooth.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Since I carry at between 2:30 and 3 o'clock in a zero-cant holster I do not seem to run into the problem.
    Same here. I carry on my belt every night going to work and every morning coming home from work. My holster rides high enough that my seatbelt does not interfer with drawstroke. Remembering this thread I took my camera out to the car with me last night when I was leaving for work and snapped this photo of how my holstered pistols sits when I have my seatbelt fastened.

No problem. Ruger P89 in a Uncle Mikes Pro3 triple retention duty holster.

I'm not seeing the photo I included. Weird. It was working right after I posted this reply.
    Last edited by sraacke; 12-05-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Once my new Serpa holster comes in, I will be doing this with the old factory holster. Obviously this is focused on Springfield XD models, but I can only assume there are ways to do something similar for other firearms. http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/gear-ta...-whatever.html

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    I carry on my belt every night going to work and every morning coming home from work. My holster rides high enough that my seatbelt does not interfer with drawstroke.
    Ditto, but even though I have a drop holster, I'm less than a third of a second behind you in terms of draw times from a seat-belted position.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    I transfer it from my holster at 9:00 to either a nylon holster I usually keep wedged between the bench seat, or just under my right leg. I still haven't found a way to comfortably draw left handed from the driver's seat, so I just train shooting with either hand.