• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

where to put your firearm while driving?

Curtis C

decided to carry a little bit today, came to the conclusion its not very comfy driving, gun rest where the seat belt connects. what are some of your fixes for this besides glove box or console.

RPGamingGirl

I usually move my retention holster to the back of my pants and carry as usual. It doesn't bother me there in a seated position, but i'm a girl. I don't expect most men or smaller ladies to be able to do that and have better results than keeping it at the hip.

If i'm going somewhere i can't carry, i stash it under the seat (holster and all).

frommycolddeadhands

Holster it on your left side with the butt forward (cross draw fashion)

It'll keep it from banging against the seatbelt holder and also make it a lot easier to draw from the sitting position.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Since I carry at between 2:30 and 3 o'clock in a zero-cant holster I do not seem to run into the problem. The most I need to do is adjust the belt to either ride across the outside of the holster (like cinching it down) or just above the grip so it does not interfere with the draw stroke.

Practicing with an unloaded handgun is essential both so you can figure out where to position your holster around the seatbelt and so you can know you can draw without getting hung up on anything (steering wheel, seatbelt, shifter knobs, etc.). It also lets you figure out just how large an arc you will not be able to cover from a seated, belted position.

stay safe.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I am EXTREMELY car anal so the protection of my car takes precedence which means I shift my holster towards my front a little to make sure I clear both my seat belt catch and my seat back bolsters. The only other place I put my guns when driving (on the chance occasions I find this needed) is in one of my cup holders. I never lay my gun on my front passenger seat. Too easy to have it suddenly find its way to the foot well in a hard stop.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I guess that depends on how much of you there is... I'm 6'4" 185lbs. Very little of that jiggles. I find the giant paddle on my Serpa to be entirely unobtrusive. In a car, or all scrunched up on my tiny excuse for a motorcycle. Put it at 9 O'Clock and everything is fine... Course, I don't need a belt to keep my pants up, either; even with a loaded 1911 hanging off of them. They're not tight, relaxed fit jeans, actually. BDU pants, too. I suppose this is very body-type dependent... Not trying to make any fat jokes... Just saying. It's one more reason for the portly to find a treadmill... ;-) Oh, I'm also right-handed cross-draw, to clarify why 9 O'Clock works so well for me. When I'm the passenger, the belt just goes over it, almost like I'm buckling the gun in, too. And Lord knows, I want my gun to be safe in case of an accident... :p I'm not wide enough to touch either side of the seat, so there is plenty of clearance for the gun and seat belt wherever I park my butt.

And seriously, I'm not trying to make fun of anyone. It's just one more reason.

Last edited:

Curtis C

the purpose of this thread was to satisfy my curiosity, and to ask how others carried theirs. the question of this thread apparently flew over your head about 5 feet

Q-Tip

On trips to town, or trips under and hour or so, I just move it slightly forward to about 2:30 (FNX-9 in a serpa, slight forward cant). If I know I won't be stopping for a few hours, I'll move it out of my holster (safety on) to a flexible IWB holster that I wedge between the seat and the console in my Escape. I know it won't stay there in a bigger accident, but as long as I'm upright and not totaled it'll stay there.

hermannr

I think your holster makes a lot of difference. I usually carry a CZ85 at 3 o'clock, the belt just clips over the holster. Alternate carry may be a CZ 82, or a Colt Revolver, all the same place, but with different holsters for each. The Colt is a bit big, and I have to work it in place over the edge of the seat, but once it is there, it is fine.

Just drove over the pass last weekend, when seated, I did not even notice the 85 was even on. Personally, I would never intentially put the pistol anywhere loose where it could be thrown about in an accident.

MilProGuy

Holster it on your left side with the butt forward (cross draw fashion)

It'll keep it from banging against the seatbelt holder and also make it a lot easier to draw from the sitting position.

Same here.

And, I always transfer the gun and holster back to my right side before I get out of the vehicle.

Curtis C

the holster i have is a uncle mike side kick for my taurus 85, its the only fault i've seen with it so far.

Redbaron007

Being right handed, if my seatbelt interacts with my holster, it usually just a minor adjustment of the holster, back or forward. I usualy wear mine at the 3-4 o'clock position. I usually use either a couple of paddle hoslters, a kydex (Palmetto), or Glock Sports Combat holster.

carry for myself

i carry 2 guns. my glock 23 is in a butt forward cant in a serpa, so it doesn't stab into the seat and the belt just goes across the holster, i can draw easily and have no issues. my second weapon is a Beretta 92 inox, which i carry in a Miami classic leather horizontal shoulder holster. so that's well out of the way as well. only issues i have is when i CC in a IWB with my glock, gets a bit uncompfy seeing as i carry between 4 and 5 o'clock

6L6GC

I clench it firmly between my teeth. On top of the bayonet, but under the cell phone. that way is not just sliding around on the seat, plus it is real handy if I need it quickly. additionally, when I get pulled over for ignoring the speed limit sign, I don't even have to tell John Law that I gotta gun. I can't believe that I am the only one that uses this efficient and safe method!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tacky, yet unrefined...

roN

Curtis C

I clench it firmly between my teeth. On top of the bayonet, but under the cell phone. that way is not just sliding around on the seat, plus it is real handy if I need it quickly. additionally, when I get pulled over for ignoring the speed limit sign, I don't even have to tell John Law that I gotta gun. I can't believe that I am the only one that uses this efficient and safe method!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tacky, yet unrefined...

roN
not to firmly i hope, you hit a big bump you could chip a tooth.