Thread: Looking to find a place to practice drawing from holster

Looking to find a place to practice drawing from holster

Well, I have been keeping my eyes open and asking questions where I can, but I cannot seem to find a place where I can practice drawing from a holster and firing.

I had access to a buddy's land where I could do this a few years back, but I really hate bugging him about going. It is one thing if he offers, but I don't like to take advantage of people.

I would be ok with shelling out a reasonable(not the "a lot" reasonable, the "appropriate, but not expensive" reasonable) amount of cash and taking a course or something that allows for practicing drawing from the holster and firing.

Basically, I have been keeping my accuracy up with the usual range trips(Marksman and C2), and I separately practice drawing from my holster every once in a while, but it definitely isn't a replacement for full on quick draw and fire practice.

I understand why most places don't allow it, I was just curious if anyone has any input on a possible solution.

Thanks!

Practical Pistol matches at LGC 2nd Sunday of every month except Jan. and Feb. 8AM? - Noon
    No membership required

Once a month is not frequent enough of course.

I have been attempting to get a "draw from the holster badge" since July...
    Last edited by t33j; 11-27-2011 at 08:39 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spades View Post
    Well, I have been keeping my eyes open and asking questions where I can, but I cannot seem to find a place where I can practice drawing from a holster and firing.

I had access to a buddy's land where I could do this a few years back, but I really hate bugging him about going. It is one thing if he offers, but I don't like to take advantage of people.

I would be ok with shelling out a reasonable(not the "a lot" reasonable, the "appropriate, but not expensive" reasonable) amount of cash and taking a course or something that allows for practicing drawing from the holster and firing.

Basically, I have been keeping my accuracy up with the usual range trips(Marksman and C2), and I separately practice drawing from my holster every once in a while, but it definitely isn't a replacement for full on quick draw and fire practice.

I understand why most places don't allow it, I was just curious if anyone has any input on a possible solution.

Thanks!
    Welcome to the forum!

Best solution is buy a quality Airsoft pistol to match your EDC.
    I have plenty of land to shoot on and my Gun range is only 2 miles away. I still use my Airsoft at least twice a day.

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    Practical Pistol matches at LGC 2nd Sunday of every month except Jan. and Feb. 8AM? - Noon
    No membership required

Once a month is not frequent enough of course.

I have been attempting to get a "draw from the holster badge" since July...
    That is very interesting. I would guess the "draw from holster badge" would only be good at LGC though, lol. Alas, I am not a member. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Best solution is buy a quality Airsoft pistol to match your EDC.
    I have plenty of land to shoot on and my Gun range is only 2 miles away. I still use my Airsoft at least twice a day.
    Thanks for the welcome! Been lurking for years, though, lol.

I actually have and use airsoft for some practice. More so in the past when I was younger, but I would have to agree that a nice gas blow back airsoft pistol is a great way to practice. I still put a lot of weight on being able to practice more with my carry gun, though...

A little bit of a hike from where you are but you could do a lot worse than check out one of Proshooter's Defensive Handgun classes.
    I realize I don't know your level of experience and I apologize if you think this is 'below' your expertise but having dealt with his company myself on several occasions I can recommend them highly.

Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly will allow it but under certain circumstances (where you holster) and you have to let them know when you arrive.
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

If you have base access you can go to the range on that NATO base in Norfolk. The marines have an indoor range out there which I practiced draw and fire with their permission first of course. Their response when I asked if it was allowed, "as long as you don't shoot your foot off". I still have both feet

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    A little bit of a hike from where you are but you could do a lot worse than check out one of Proshooter's Defensive Handgun classes.
    I realize I don't know your level of experience and I apologize if you think this is 'below' your expertise but having dealt with his company myself on several occasions I can recommend them highly.
    That actually looks really promising. Not a bad price either, considering $12.50 an hour range time where I normally go. Just a little longer drive than going to C2, to boot. Talked to a buddy about it and he was interested too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post
    Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly will allow it but under certain circumstances (where you holster) and you have to let them know when you arrive.
    As nice as that sounds, I think that may be outside my driving range for some range time. I will keep it in mind if I happen to be up that way, though.

Quote Originally Posted by driveramsII View Post
    If you have base access you can go to the range on that NATO base in Norfolk. The marines have an indoor range out there which I practiced draw and fire with their permission first of course. Their response when I asked if it was allowed, "as long as you don't shoot your foot off". I still have both feet
    Ahaha, that is pretty awesome. I do have base access, I'll give it a looksee.

Thanks guys!

Living room is a good place inbetween times of going to the range (unloaded of course). It's just like dry fire practice. You are trying to get the motions down, trying to get the muscle memory, for this you don't need ammo. Practice draw and dry fire. Then practice at the range and hit your target. Now put the two together.

I don't need a membership at a gym to lose weight, I need to get off the couch. The gym doesn't hurt. Same thing here. It doesn't have to be as expensive as the commercials make it. I can do push ups at home. I can practice at home too.

Besides practicing drawing:
    1. Be sure you have the best holster you can afford (not the most expensive, but the best that fits you)
    2. Find a way to up your SA. Gamesmanship among other things;
    3. Dry fire with snap caps;
    4. If you have extra money get a laser insert, a dry fire trigger (drop in for a Glock), and a laser target (you won't get the 'bang' and recoil, though);
    5. Analyze the times when you were caught flat-footed in condition white.

Good luck.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Quote Originally Posted by Spades View Post

Ahaha, that is pretty awesome. I do have base access, I'll give it a looksee.

Thanks guys!
    It's actually a Marine base (Camp Allen) next to the Navy base (NSA Norfolk) that has a NATO activity among others on it. Just sayin'...

The range is an MWR activity and requires you to be active/reserve/retired military (including Guard) or a government GS civilian (no contractors). They will ask for your mil ID, as will the Marines at the gate.

http://www.mccscampallen.com/shooting_range.htm

Wax bullets?

I seen people on youtube in their garage.

Is that legal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdvEX3SccWo
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Wax bullets?

Is that legal?

Wax bullets are used in cowboy action fast draw competition. Home made and can be ordered premade. They are used in a primed shell case without powder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wax_bullet
    http://www.gunfighter.com/waxbullets/

Quote Originally Posted by driveramsII View Post
    I Must be missing something as I thought that there was a Navy and/or DoD policy prohibiting carry onto the base of privately owned firearms? Is private carry allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Wax bullets?

Is that legal?

They are unbelievably dirty and you have to modify the case. Drill the primer hole out or the primer will back out and jam the gun.

Other than that, they're fine.

Take the modded, unprimed case (Won't work if you've primed first) and push the case through a block of wax.

Pull the case out, prime it and shoot it.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Thank you for suggesting our class. We'd welcome anyone who wants to train with us.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by drdan01 View Post
    I Must be missing something as I thought that there was a Navy and/or DoD policy prohibiting carry onto the base of privately owned firearms? Is private carry allowed?
    Generally prohibited on all federal installations, but it's permitted in specific cases such as using facilities like this. No extra stops or delays are allowed - go on base, use the range, leave the base. Weapons have to be unloaded and secured (cased) in transit on the base until on the range's firing line. No stops at the Mini-Mart/Class 6, no stopping by the commissary/exchange, etc. and definitely no going to work i.e. "But I was going to the range when I got off duty..."

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Thank you for suggesting our class. We'd welcome anyone who wants to train with us.
    Hmmm, I may have to take that class

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter
    you're welcome Jim .. does the class include a BBQ lunch ?

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    you're welcome Jim .. does the class include a BBQ lunch ?
    Only if its on your dime!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/