Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC related..Most Dangerous Areas Near VCU

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

OC related..Most Dangerous Areas Near VCU

I don't get to Richmond much anymore (Thank God) but I need to get some video before the VCU protest, of the worst areas students are likely to be in.
    Anyone near there that can point me in the right direction?

It used to be around Shepard Street but times change.

The Carver neighborhood between Leigh, Broad, Harrison and Belvidere have become very dangerous for VCU students in the last several years.

http://spotcrime.com/va/richmond/carver
    Last edited by T Dubya; 11-28-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: add link

Quote Originally Posted by T Dubya View Post
    The Carver neighborhood between Leigh, Broad, Harrison and Belvidere have become very dangerous for VCU students in the last several years.

http://spotcrime.com/va/richmond/carver
    Thanks TD!
    Guess I'll go slumming

Peter while you're down there go north on Belvidere and once you cross over 95 look at the construction project on your right. That is going to be student housing for VCU. We suspect that the VCU students will be easy pickens from them wild-ass kids that roam Jackson Ward and Carver. If you really feel brave try to visit the historic Hebrew cemetery or the grave of John Marshall.

maybe we should form up a group, say, company or even battalion strength, and all go on a nice afternoon walk together... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mk4 View Post
    maybe we should form up a group, say, company or even battalion strength, and all go on a nice afternoon walk together... ;-)
    Afternoon isn't he dangerous time. I'm going down around midnight tonight, Seems like old times

It doesn't do any good to try to show what the area's like during daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Afternoon isn't he dangerous time. I'm going down around midnight tonight, Seems like old times

Dibs on the blammy-shooter!

Trouble is, I know there's almost no chance of getting it unless you start jaywalking.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

ok, so substitute "midnight stroll" for "afternoon walk"... ;-)

If I recall correctly, recent robberies and assaults have been by 2-4 badguys vs 1 individual, I hope you have someone along to watch your six. Would hate for you to be focused on the camera's point of view and get blindsided.

Quote Originally Posted by TraumaRN View Post
    If I recall correctly, recent robberies and assaults have been by 2-4 badguys vs 1 individual, I hope you have someone along to watch your six. Would hate for you to be focused on the camera's point of view and get blindsided.
    I second this.. Please bring a (responsibly armed) friend along with you.
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    I second this.. Please bring a (responsibly armed) friend along with you.
    Agreed that you should be careful, especially carrying around a camera which may likely be appealing to a would-be robber. The recent robberies I've heard of have been multiple assailants, with at most presenting a gun but that doesn't mean the others aren't packing. I have a number of friends that attend VCU but I don't find myself in the city at night very often, maybe I could get some input, but from what I've heard even the nice areas around VCU can turn bad quickly at night.

If you are looking for some company shoot me a PM I could join you for a little while on a nice nighttime stroll tonight.

See the VCU Alert webpage here: http://www.vcu.edu/alert/ for some info too. Seems there have been a couple incidents within the last few days.

On my way to Oz!

Best wishes.

The area around Bowe St. Parking Deck and the Kroger on Lombardy has been pretty iffy hasn't it? I guess maybe that would be the Carter district? Whatever... that whole area sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Best wishes.

The area around Bowe St. Parking Deck and the Kroger on Lombardy has been pretty iffy hasn't it? I guess maybe that would be the Carter district? Whatever... that whole area sucks.
    I was there for a little Curtis. Things don't change that much. Still the armpit of the world and they still scatter when I take their pictures.

like cockroaches when the lights come on, eh? ;-)

Stop using the flash and they won't scatter.

Quote Originally Posted by mobeewan View Post
    Stop using the flash and they won't scatter.
    I was videoing with no lights. They just scatter, always have and always will I guess.
    I didn't see a lot of students but the ones I did see weren't looking too healthy.

Great protection in that area. I saw 2 cops in an hour and a half. Both on Broad Street.

I didn't see a lot of students but the ones I did see weren't looking too healthy
    That is a pretty popular theme among VCU students, no matter what time of day

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    On my way to Oz!
    Even the Lone Ranger traveled with his faithful companion - my phone still works, dag nab it.

Solo is what James Stephen Fossett, Francis Gary Powers, and John Denver did.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Even the Lone Ranger traveled with his faithful companion - my phone still works, dag nab it.

Solo is what James Stephen Fossett, Francis Gary Powers, and John Denver did.
    I appreciate it Grape but I worked that city for 13 years alone, and old habits are hard to break. To be honest....it was kinda fun.

Boy has that area changed though. No Biker bars anymore, no fights in the middle of the street. What hasn't changed is the drug traffic on the side streets but the hookers are uglier...and I think they might have actually been female

I walked around the new construction TD was talking about. That is NOT a nice place, never has been and a block in any direction is bear country.

I didn't have time to do it last night but the bums used to camp under the trees near 95 so no one could see them. You had to actually duck under the branches to root them out.
    Imagine sending your kids to a place a hundred yards from that.

....snip.....

I walked around the new construction TD was talking about. That is NOT a nice place, never has been and a block in any direction is bear country.

I didn't have time to do it last night but the bums used to camp under the trees near 95 so no one could see them. You had to actually duck under the branches to root them out.
    Imagine sending your kids to a place a hundred yards from that.
    But, but, but all of those places are off campus.

That's like a get out of jail free card for the VCU administration - it's not on their grass.
    In Monroe Park, on the streets and sidewalks next to streets, including between point A (VCU bldg) and point B (VCU bldg) you are most often off campus.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

That's like a get out of jail free card for the VCU administration - it's not on their grass.
    In Monroe Park, on the streets and sidewalks next to streets, including between point A (VCU bldg) and point B (VCU bldg) you are most often off campus.
    That's true but after midnight, there were kids leaving VCU buildings, with books (Why they were there at midnight is anyone's guess) and crossing broad, then going into the fan.

The Panhandlers are a little more aggressive at night. One tapped on my window at a stoplight and sort of demanded a cigarette. I rolled down the window and he about had a heart attack when he saw the 1911, Taser and shotgun, on the front seat.

I pulled over in a parking space and gave him a cigarette and we had a nice chat about what was happening in the area.

...snip...

The Panhandlers are a little more aggressive at night. One tapped on my window at a stoplight and sort of demanded a cigarette. I rolled down the window and he about had a heart attack when he saw the 1911, Taser and shotgun, on the front seat.
    Coke up and out my nose, thank you.

Sorry, but "campus" does not equate with "building" or "property" when discussing the "bounds" of an urban university.

For all practical purposes "campus" is defined by both VCU and RPD as that area where VCUPD has jurisdiction. Another definition is found in the fed Dept of Ed {hawk*spit} requirements for reporting campus crimes. For the purposes of discussion here, that second definition is the better one to use.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/20/1092.html#f

(6) (A) In this subsection: (i) The term “campus” means— (I) any building or property owned or controlled by an institution of higher education within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area of the institution and used by the institution in direct support of, or in a manner related to, the institution’s educational purposes, including residence halls; and
    (II) property within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area of the institution that is owned by the institution but controlled by another person, is used by students, and supports institutional purposes (such as a food or other retail vendor).

(ii) The term “noncampus building or property” means— (I) any building or property owned or controlled by a student organization recognized by the institution; and
    (II) any building or property (other than a branch campus) owned or controlled by an institution of higher education that is used in direct support of, or in relation to, the institution’s educational purposes, is used by students, and is not within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area of the institution.

(iii) The term “public property” means all public property that is within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area of the institution, such as a sidewalk, a street, other thoroughfare, or parking facility, and is adjacent to a facility owned or controlled by the institution if the facility is used by the institution in direct support of, or in a manner related to the institution’s educational purposes.

(B) In cases where branch campuses of an institution of higher education, schools within an institution of higher education, or administrative divisions within an institution are not within a reasonably contiguous geographic area, such entities shall be considered separate campuses for purposes of the reporting requirements of this section.

stay safe.
    Last edited by skidmark; 11-29-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: added cite
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast