• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC related..Most Dangerous Areas Near VCU

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't get to Richmond much anymore (Thank God) but I need to get some video before the VCU protest, of the worst areas students are likely to be in.
Anyone near there that can point me in the right direction?

It used to be around Shepard Street but times change.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Peter while you're down there go north on Belvidere and once you cross over 95 look at the construction project on your right. That is going to be student housing for VCU. We suspect that the VCU students will be easy pickens from them wild-ass kids that roam Jackson Ward and Carver. If you really feel brave try to visit the historic Hebrew cemetery or the grave of John Marshall.

mk4

maybe we should form up a group, say, company or even battalion strength, and all go on a nice afternoon walk together... ;-)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
maybe we should form up a group, say, company or even battalion strength, and all go on a nice afternoon walk together... ;-)

Afternoon isn't he dangerous time. I'm going down around midnight tonight, Seems like old times:lol:

It doesn't do any good to try to show what the area's like during daylight.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Afternoon isn't he dangerous time. I'm going down around midnight tonight, Seems like old times:lol:

Dibs on the blammy-shooter!

Trouble is, I know there's almost no chance of getting it unless you start jaywalking.

stay safe.

mk4

ok, so substitute "midnight stroll" for "afternoon walk"... ;-)

TraumaRN

If I recall correctly, recent robberies and assaults have been by 2-4 badguys vs 1 individual, I hope you have someone along to watch your six. Would hate for you to be focused on the camera's point of view and get blindsided.

Baked on Grease

If I recall correctly, recent robberies and assaults have been by 2-4 badguys vs 1 individual, I hope you have someone along to watch your six. Would hate for you to be focused on the camera's point of view and get blindsided.

I second this.. Please bring a (responsibly armed) friend along with you.

Sangre

I second this.. Please bring a (responsibly armed) friend along with you.
Agreed that you should be careful, especially carrying around a camera which may likely be appealing to a would-be robber. The recent robberies I've heard of have been multiple assailants, with at most presenting a gun but that doesn't mean the others aren't packing. I have a number of friends that attend VCU but I don't find myself in the city at night very often, maybe I could get some input, but from what I've heard even the nice areas around VCU can turn bad quickly at night.

If you are looking for some company shoot me a PM I could join you for a little while on a nice nighttime stroll tonight.

curtiswr

Best wishes.

The area around Bowe St. Parking Deck and the Kroger on Lombardy has been pretty iffy hasn't it? I guess maybe that would be the Carter district? Whatever... that whole area sucks.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Best wishes.

The area around Bowe St. Parking Deck and the Kroger on Lombardy has been pretty iffy hasn't it? I guess maybe that would be the Carter district? Whatever... that whole area sucks.

I was there for a little Curtis. Things don't change that much. Still the armpit of the world and they still scatter when I take their pictures.:lol:

mk4

like cockroaches when the lights come on, eh? ;-)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Stop using the flash and they won't scatter.

I was videoing with no lights. They just scatter, always have and always will I guess.
I didn't see a lot of students but the ones I did see weren't looking too healthy:lol:.

Great protection in that area. I saw 2 cops in an hour and a half. Both on Broad Street.