• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

General Help--Sorry

Marco

you could be charged with possession of stolen property

If you are in possession of a gun which is shown to have been stolen, you could be charged with possession of stolen property, even if you are the one attempting to learn its status. At the very least you would be answering questions about how you came into possession, which means naming names. A claim of receiving it as a gift will require verification.

If this weapon was used in a crime (a prime reason to steal it), you could have some 'splainin' to do.

Of course, all of this hinges on the relative recency of any related criminal activity. If all the actors involved are dead (and weren't killed with this gun), you've got some interesting lore to pass on to your grandchildren. Otherwise, you could be passing on this lore on visitors day...

Trying to learn if your gun is stolen is like trying to learn if Schrodinger's cat is Trying to learn if your gun is stolen is like trying to learn if Schrodinger's cat is alive.

HOGWASH!!!!!!
If you have something to back up this claim I'd like to read about it.

I bought a gun awhile back at a VA GS and before the show was over I sold that same gun. The person I sold it to was LE.
I saw him at the next show and he told me the gun I sold him was reported stolen out of FL in 2008. The only question I was asked was if I had the name or number of the guy I bought it from.

I had a similar incident happen in 1998 in NV, I sold a gun (via the newpaper) and when the guy went to register it (clark county) the gun came back stolen.
I got a call from the firearms unit and again the only question I was asked if I had the name/number of the person I got it from.
I had the gun for yrs unregisitered (civil violation) and had no info for them.

I wasn't charged with anything and I wasn't pressured to name names, just asked.

From my experience the worst that happens is you lose the gun and your money, if a gun you bought is reported stolen and is discovered.

YMMV.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
HOGWASH!!!!!!

I bought a gun awhile back at a VA GS and before the show was over I sold that same gun. The person I sold it to was LE.
I saw him at the next show and he told me the gun I sold him was reported stolen out of FL in 2008. The only question I was asked was if I had the name or number of the guy I bought it from.

I had a similar incident happen in 1998 in NV, I sold a gun (via the newpaper) and when the guy went to register it (clark county) the gun came back stolen.
I got a call from the firearms unit and again the only question I was asked if I had the name/number of the person I got it from.

I wasn't charged with anything and I wasn't pressured to name names, just asked.

From my experience the worst that happens is you lose the gun and your money, if a gun you bought is reported stolen and is discovered.

YMMV.

+100

2a4all

If you are in possession of a gun which is shown to have been stolen, you could be charged with possession of stolen property, even if you are the one attempting to learn its status. At the very least you would be answering questions about how you came into possession, which means naming names. A claim of receiving it as a gift will require verification.

If this weapon was used in a crime (a prime reason to steal it), you could have some 'splainin' to do.

Of course, all of this hinges on the relative recency of any related criminal activity. If all the actors involved are dead (and weren't killed with this gun), you've got some interesting lore to pass on to your grandchildren. Otherwise, you could be passing on this lore on visitors day...

Trying to learn if your gun is stolen is like trying to learn if Schrodinger's cat is alive.

HOGWASH!!!!!!

YMMV.
I said that "you could be charged". And it seems like you experienced the "very least" level of inquiry, and were asked (I never said how intensly) for a name. And it appears that they let you off the hook because the event wasn't recent history.

You said YMMV.

You claim my description of possible events is hogwash, yet your experience doesn't seem to be at odds with it.

Marco

I said that "you could be charged". And it seems like you experienced the "very least" level of inquiry, and were asked (I never said how intensly) for a name. And it appears that they let you off the hook because the event wasn't recent history.

You said YMMV.

You claim my description of possible events is hogwash, yet your experience doesn't seem to be at odds with it.

There was nothing for them to let me off with as I committed no crime.

I experienced the least and you are Chicken little'ing(?) things.
At least one of us has first hand experience as to what might happen.

You "could" sell a used car to a convicted drunk driver or someone with a suspended/revoked license are you going to ask for a DMV printout? You "could" be charged as an Accomplice.

I'll concede the point since you stated "could".
As we all know anyone could be charged with anything..

Last edited: