• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just moved from europe

west

Hi everyone… I am new on this site, actually new in this state and country :lol: Just moved from Europe I am now living in Kentucky. I have married a Kentucky girl two months ago. Since childhood I have admired American way of life and freedom to carry a gun. As a gun enthusiast, now I have the opportunity to live the same way of life and can enjoy the same freedom as you guys do. I am coming from a country where it is almost impossible to get a license to possess a gun. You have to have a goooood reason for that (and under good reason I mean that just recently someone threaten your life or someone attempted to murder you) and you must go through a dozen different administration things and medical checking. Finally, if you are approved, in 99% of the cases you are only allowed to have a gun in your home. In 1% of the cases you will actually get a permit that allows you to carry a gun outside of your home and that always will have to be concealed. Open carry is not even imaginable. So, I have to say, whatever we think about what is going on in the U.S. about the 2nd amendment , the U.S. is far ahead and advanced in this matter than any other country. God bless America indeed. Well…let me just say this. My wife, knowing that I am big gun lover just bought me a brand new Beretta Px4 storm type F. She, herself has CCDW license and I am looking forward to getting mine soon. I am looking forward to getting to know you all better over time on this forum and maybe we can see each other on some shooting range or gun show.

KBCraig

Welcome to (relative) liberty regarding gun ownership and possession.

What is your citizenship? I ask, because unfortunately Kentucky is one of the very few states that only issues concealed carry licenses to U.S. citizens. When they changed the law a few years ago, non-citizen legal aliens with Kentucky CCDWLs were allowed to keep their licenses until they expired, but were not allowed to renew.

A lawsuit was filed by a British national, and he won a preliminary injunction against the change in 2008. I don't know if that's been finally settled, or not; Kentuckians can probably give better information, and this is an active section of the forum.

http://aclu-ky.org/content/view/207/2/
http://www.ailf.org/lac/chdocs/Kentucky-Say-ctmemo.pdf
http://www.ailf.org/lac/chdocs/Kentucky-Say-order.pdf
http://kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO and the USA.

As someone who grew up travelling in places that were not the USA I have some idea of what you mean when you say
So, I have to say, whatever we think about what is going on in the U.S. about the 2nd amendment , the U.S. is far ahead and advanced in this matter than any other country. God bless America indeed.

It appears that the Say ruling will allow you to get a CCDWL in spite of your not yet being a US citzen. I hope you apply even if you do not intend to carry concealed - just to prove that you can!:D

stay safe.

west

Welcome to (relative) liberty regarding gun ownership and possession.

What is your citizenship? I ask, because unfortunately Kentucky is one of the very few states that only issues concealed carry licenses to U.S. citizens. When they changed the law a few years ago, non-citizen legal aliens with Kentucky CCDWLs were allowed to keep their licenses until they expired, but were not allowed to renew.

A lawsuit was filed by a British national, and he won a preliminary injunction against the change in 2008. I don't know if that's been finally settled, or not; Kentuckians can probably give better information, and this is an active section of the forum.

http://aclu-ky.org/content/view/207/2/
http://www.ailf.org/lac/chdocs/Kentucky-Say-ctmemo.pdf
http://www.ailf.org/lac/chdocs/Kentucky-Say-order.pdf
http://kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm

Thank you KBCraig for this update. I am in process of getting green card as a first step to get citizenship. I will have to check for a details here in Kentucky.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
Welcome to America! In respone to KBCraig, in 2008, the Kentucky General Assembly did revise Ky. Rev. Stat. § 237.110 in anticipation of the decision entered during the 2008 legislative session in Say v. Adams, which declared unconstitutional the former provisions of that section in effect from 2006 to 2008 that limited issuance of CCDW licenses to U.S. citizens.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Welcome to Ky, the greatest state in the union in my opinion. Enjoy your newfound right to bear arms, and the right of self preservation that comes with it! Please do let us know what it's like coming from a country with tyrannical gun laws, to a state with nearly no gun laws, and if it's truly what you expected... Welcome again, and enjoy!

Mike Berg

Hi everyone… I am new on this site, actually new in this state and country :lol: Just moved from Europe I am now living in Kentucky. I have married a Kentucky girl two months ago. Since childhood I have admired American way of life and freedom to carry a gun. As a gun enthusiast, now I have the opportunity to live the same way of life and can enjoy the same freedom as you guys do. I am coming from a country where it is almost impossible to get a license to possess a gun. You have to have a goooood reason for that (and under good reason I mean that just recently someone threaten your life or someone attempted to murder you) and you must go through a dozen different administration things and medical checking. Finally, if you are approved, in 99% of the cases you are only allowed to have a gun in your home. In 1% of the cases you will actually get a permit that allows you to carry a gun outside of your home and that always will have to be concealed. Open carry is not even imaginable. So, I have to say, whatever we think about what is going on in the U.S. about the 2nd amendment , the U.S. is far ahead and advanced in this matter than any other country. God bless America indeed. Well…let me just say this. My wife, knowing that I am big gun lover just bought me a brand new Beretta Px4 storm type F. She, herself has CCDW license and I am looking forward to getting mine soon. I am looking forward to getting to know you all better over time on this forum and maybe we can see each other on some shooting range or gun show.

Bollocks
You are not from europe!
First of all only americans would refer to europe as a "country" a european native would never introduce themselves as a european!

I just moved from europe? which part?

A
Albania
Andorra
Armenia
Austria
Azerbaijan
B
Belarus
Belgium
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Bulgaria
C
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
D
Denmark
E
Estonia
F
Finland
France
G
Georgia
Germany
Greece

H
Hungary
I
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
K
Kosovo
L
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
M
Macedonia
Malta
Moldova
Monaco
Montenegro The Netherlands
Norway

Poland
Portugal

Romania
Russia

San Marino
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland

Turkey

Ukraine
United Kingdom

Vatican City (Holy See)

langzaiguy

I don't think the author meant to insinuate that Europe was a country. I didn't get that impression from reading this.

hotrod

Welcome, and enjoy the things that the United States and Kentucky have to offer. I have travelled the world and have not found anyplace that I would rather be!

Sundiver

I think you need to spend some time in the corner with an English primer. At no point during his post does the OP refer to Europe as a country.

Bollocks
You are not from europe!
First of all only americans would refer to europe as a "country" a european native would never introduce themselves as a european!

I just moved from europe? which part?

A
Albania
Andorra
Armenia
Austria
Azerbaijan
B
Belarus
Belgium
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Bulgaria
C
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
D
Denmark
E
Estonia
F
Finland
France
G
Georgia
Germany
Greece

H
Hungary
I
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
K
Kosovo
L
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
M
Macedonia
Malta
Moldova
Monaco
MonteAfrican American The Netherlands
Norway

Poland
Portugal

Romania
Russia

San Marino
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland

Turkey

Ukraine
United Kingdom

Vatican City (Holy See)

self preservation

Welcome to Ky, the greatest state in the union in my opinion. Enjoy your newfound right to bear arms, and the right of self preservation that comes with it! Please do let us know what it's like coming from a country with tyrannical gun laws, to a state with nearly no gun laws, and if it's truly what you expected... Welcome again, and enjoy!

the right of self preservation

No one has a right to me....oh, I see what you meant. :lol:

Please do let us know what it's like coming from a country with tyrannical gun laws

I fear we may soon find that answer out first hand. :uhoh:

self preservation

There is no citizenship requirement in the current KY. concealed carry licensing statute.

This is from KRS 237.110:

(4) The Department of Kentucky State Police shall issue an original or renewal license if the applicant:
(a) Is not prohibited from the purchase, receipt, or possession of firearms, ammunition, or both pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(g), 18 U.S.C. 922(n), or applicable federal or state law;
(b) 1.Is a citizen of the United States who is a resident of this commonwealth
and has been a resident for six (6) months or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application;
2. Is a citizen of the United States who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States who is on active duty, who is at the time of application assigned to a military posting in Kentucky, and who has been assigned to a posting in the Commonwealth for six (6) months or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application;
3. Is lawfully admitted to the United States by the United States government or an agency thereof, is permitted by federal law to purchase a firearm, and has been a resident of this Commonwealth for six (6) months or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application; or
4. Is lawfully admitted to the United States by the United States government or an agency thereof, is permitted by federal law to purchase a firearm, is, at the time of the application, assigned to a military posting in Kentucky, and has been assigned to a posting in the Commonwealth for six (6) months or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application
;

Even if he couldn't get a CDWL under KY statute, it wouldn't prohibit him from OC'ing would it?

self preservation

Welcome. I'm glad that you are starting to enjoy your gun freedoms. As you know, it ain't such a great time for gun owners in America. And what I mean by that is our 2nd Amendment is always under attack, but recent events have made it under heavy, heavy attack. So by all means get involved with the pro-gun movement ASAP. With that said, KY. is a very gun friendly state. But please take the time to learn the laws of Ky so you don't find yourself violating said laws with a gun in the future. I have meet a couple of people from different countries that believe a "free country" is a place that you can do as you please. Not true at all. Well, not with America at least.