• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

USPS Sensitive Place 2A Lawsuit

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Gee, the current USPS rule of "no guns" sure is working well.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2016912003_apusshotsfiredpostoffice.html

When the USPS employees "go postal" at random, which is a danger to co-workers and customers alike, then it's fair for customers to exercise their right to self defense via the carrying of a firearm.

This is a perfect example as to why you should be allowed to defend yourself going to the post office. I hope the couple win their lawsuit.

Dave_pro2a

Probably did so because there is no picture on it. State ID cards and DL's do.

Was there a pic on the CC that she did accept? Would a Costco card count, since it has a pic? (umm, I actually have used that as official ID lol).

kenshin

Our post office recently notified us that everyone with a pob, had to verify that we were qualified to have a P O B . Two forms of I.D. were required, so I gave them my drivers license and my concealed carry permit. She slid the cc permit back so fast it almost hit the floor, she said it was not accepted. Funny thing is she accepted a credit card.

Why are we all ok with this? We all bitch and moan when a LEO demands ID without reason; but not when another government entity does? This is the exact reason, I cannot receive mail at the time.

I live in an area where home delivery is not available and I had to go get a box at the post office. When they tried to demand multiple forms of identification along with proof of address. I told them to shove it, figuratively of course. They gave me some bs USC as their authorization for requiring the ID. When I went and looked up the code, it had nothing to do with giving the post office authorization to require anything. I researched the entire section of USC pertaining to the USPS and found nothing authorizing them to require ID.

However, I did find in the Code that created the USPS that they are required to provide postal service to all when it is reasonable to do so. When I brought this to their attention, they tried to sidestep by saying they need a name attached to the box so they can provide service. More bs since the only thing they need to be able to do is compare an address with the number on the box.

I'm currently in contact with the postmaster and postmaster general about this, this has been going on for over 9 months now. They just refuse to see reason and follow the law.

I apologize for the lack of cites, I have all my notes on the subject at home. I will add them in when I can.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
Why are we all ok with this? We all bitch and moan when a LEO demands ID without reason; but not when another government entity does? This is the exact reason, I cannot receive mail at the time.

I live in an area where home delivery is not available and I had to go get a box at the post office. When they tried to demand multiple forms of identification along with proof of address. I told them to shove it, figuratively of course. They gave me some bs USC as their authorization for requiring the ID. When I went and looked up the code, it had nothing to do with giving the post office authorization to require anything. I researched the entire section of USC pertaining to the USPS and found nothing authorizing them to require ID.

However, I did find in the Code that created the USPS that they are required to provide postal service to all when it is reasonable to do so. When I brought this to their attention, they tried to sidestep by saying they need a name attached to the box so they can provide service. More bs since the only thing they need to be able to do is compare an address with the number on the box.

I'm currently in contact with the postmaster and postmaster general about this, this has been going on for over 9 months now. They just refuse to see reason and follow the law.

I apologize for the lack of cites, I have all my notes on the subject at home. I will add them in when I can.

Nine months? Thats a long time. Maybe it is time to send them a demand letter. Of course you may have a little trouble getting the response since they won't rent you a POB.
irfner

Difdi

Was there a pic on the CC that she did accept? Would a Costco card count, since it has a pic? (umm, I actually have used that as official ID lol).

I used to have a reduced fare (disability) bus pass that had my picture on it. The place that issues those is absolutely a state office. But nobody EVER accepted it as valid state-issued picture ID.

TechnoWeenie

Our post office recently notified us that everyone with a pob, had to verify that we were qualified to have a P O B . Two forms of I.D. were required, so I gave them my drivers license and my concealed carry permit. She slid the cc permit back so fast it almost hit the floor, she said it was not accepted. Funny thing is she accepted a credit card.

I used my CPL and my state emergency workers ID.

I got a kick out of them not knowing how to document the EWID, given that it's a state issued photo ID.

amlevin

Rather than screw around with the semi-brain dead post office why not just get a "box" at one of the Mailbox rental establishments. Unlike the Post Office they can receive UPS and Fedex packages (because they give you an actual street number with a "Unit No" or "Suite No." to ID your box). This is a lot better than just having the delivery driver leave the stuff on your front porch to be stolen by those who follow the trucks on their routes.

Jeff Hayes

I use my Nevada CWP for ID all the time, I avoid giving out my DL # as much as possable, I had a huge problem years ago. I have only had one cashier try to reject it and her manager straightened her up in about 3 seconds.

VW_Factor

I use my Nevada CWP for ID all the time, I avoid giving out my DL # as much as possable, I had a huge problem years ago. I have only had one cashier try to reject it and her manager straightened her up in about 3 seconds.

Its funny that you mention this. Nothing to do with a P.O. or anything..

I began a habit of leaving my DL in the vehicle. No need for it otherwise really. Went on a trip to CA.

If I got carded for a beer, or getting a cigar or something I'll toss out the CHL. No problems in CA with anyone, in fact got a few compliments.

Back here in Oregon, NO ONE has yet accepted it as an ID. I'll ask them why, and its because this could be faked is usually the answer. So, you'll take an issued DL, which is beans easy to get, but not the ID that needs a background check run? Usually returns a blank stare. /facepalm