• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

newbie to site, and to OC,

Carry24/7

If you need help in figuring out how to OC your 9mm maybe you shouldn't carry it. LOL J/K The only thing I can tell you is do the same as we all have done. Read the laws, understand them, and follow them.

BillC

If you need help in figuring out how to OC your 9mm maybe you shouldn't carry it. LOL J/K The only thing I can tell you is do the same as we all have done. Read the laws, understand them, and follow them.

Thanks. after i read a good portion of these blogs, I stopped and called the Sherrff's dept, got alot better info .

Carry24/7

Thanks. after i read a good portion of these blogs, I stopped and called the Sherrff's dept, got alot better info .
No disrespect to any law enforcement agency but don't take legal advice from them. I hate to say it but some will give you bad info. Some not knowing the real answer but giving you what they think is the real answer. Self education by reading and understanding the law is best.

BillC

No disrespect to any law enforcement agency but don't take legal advice from them. I hate to say it but some will give you bad info. Some not knowing the real answer but giving you what they think is the real answer. Self education by reading and understanding the law is best.

I appreciate the info, but, as you stated I have read NC handgun laws, and everything he stated was in line and correct, He is Pro gun,and eager to help, the only Item we left up in the so called judgement area was carrying in a vehicle, His view was if he walked up to the car, and while viewing the contents if the weapon is not visable at that time, it is considered concealed, he recomended on dash . If you are carrying on your right hip it is not readily visable to an Officer, and could be considered concealed,

Carry24/7

I appreciate the info, but, as you stated I have read NC handgun laws, and everything he stated was in line and correct, He is Pro gun,and eager to help, the only Item we left up in the so called judgement area was carrying in a vehicle, His view was if he walked up to the car, and while viewing the contents if the weapon is not visable at that time, it is considered concealed, he recomended on dash . If you are carrying on your right hip it is not readily visable to an Officer, and could be considered concealed,

Well he sounds like one of the good ones. Just don't take all LEO's words as the gospel. Some are not pro gun for anyone outside of LE and will tell you what they want you to think is the law. Like the old saying goes knowledge is power.

muccione

You could tell the LEO that you are openly carrying a firearm on your hip. The only way a Leo would "find" the so-called concealed gun is if he did a search.
lets say he or his partner look inside the passenger side window and see just the back-strap of your holstered gun, and then yells he's got a gun!! and you get arrested and charged with CCW. Well if you had it concealed how did he see it? If he ever sees it without doing a search than its not concealed. Any lawyer could get this dropped. I have a CHP but OC 98% of the time. If stopped I put unholster and put my XD on my center console and say nothing. Cops are great for giving their personal opinion and not laws.

REDFIVE48

Seeing as I have my CHP (permission slip), I just leave it on my hip while driving. I would be scared to drive with a gun on my dash since I have no holster there, would be afraid that 1 wrong turn and the thing would slide out my window ;)

If I'm driving a long distance, I sometimes take it out and put it in the center console cup holders for comfort and visibility.

hermannr

Hej Bill!
I take after 40 years experience with OC. Rule 1: KNOW the law. Rule 2: DO NOT be a Nervous Nelley! and handle your gun to check it is still there. If you want to check your carry, use your elbow. Nervous Nellys attract attention, the last thing you want is extra attention. Rule 3: Use a top holster with good restraint and you won't have to worry if it is there or not.