Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Non-Friendly to CCW Businesses iPhone App

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greendale
    Posts
    12

    Non-Friendly to CCW Businesses iPhone App

    Hello everyone, first post here, though, have been lurking for a while.
    I wanted to tell everyone what I am working on. I liked the idea of your "master list" of businesses that do not allow CCW, and decided, a convenient way to help fellow CCW carriers (or at least some) was to make a iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad application. I have a decent first go of the app made already, and am using the "UN-Friendly" list from this forum.

    The app will be free of charge in the App store.

    I just wanted to get others opinions on my idea weather or not you think it will be of good use. I will keep it updated regularly, and will include contact information on how to add businesses to the list. I will have a requirement though, to have a business added, along with the business name, must also include a "legible" picture of the main entrance of the store clearly showing the sign posted dis-allowing CCW/Firearms (I know it's asking a lot, however, I am not a liberal, and as such, I have morals and want to make sure no one gets added to the list by accident).

    So any input would be great! I will do the best I can from what ability I have to make a App!

    Cheers!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by islandbayy View Post
    Hello everyone, first post here, though, have been lurking for a while.
    I wanted to tell everyone what I am working on. I liked the idea of your "master list" of businesses that do not allow CCW, and decided, a convenient way to help fellow CCW carriers (or at least some) was to make a iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad application. I have a decent first go of the app made already, and am using the "UN-Friendly" list from this forum.

    The app will be free of charge in the App store.

    I just wanted to get others opinions on my idea weather or not you think it will be of good use. I will keep it updated regularly, and will include contact information on how to add businesses to the list. I will have a requirement though, to have a business added, along with the business name, must also include a "legible" picture of the main entrance of the store clearly showing the sign posted dis-allowing CCW/Firearms (I know it's asking a lot, however, I am not a liberal, and as such, I have morals and want to make sure no one gets added to the list by accident).

    So any input would be great! I will do the best I can from what ability I have to make a App!

    Cheers!
    Could use it I just got an Iphone4S... as for the picture why not it only takes 2 seconds for anyone with the phone and your reason for wanting it makes sense.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greendale
    Posts
    12

    .

    Thanks, now, what we need is another Thread for Pro-CCW/Firearms Businesses.

    I would like to incorporate the businesses in the following Format:

    Business Name
    Address
    Website


    At the moment, I think I will be able to do that as text only, as I figure this thing out more, I may be able to have it link to Google Maps on the i-Device and show the location and optional to have directions.

    As of right now, I also have incorporated the entirety of the Wisconsin CCW Law and a copy of Act 35
    Last edited by islandbayy; 11-29-2011 at 01:18 AM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greendale
    Posts
    12
    Sorry to be a post-a-holic, just excited with my little project. Got the google maps thing figured out

  5. #5
    Activist Member N605TW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    118
    not trying to rain on any ones parade, but this sounds a lot like the friend or foe website.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Sorcice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    382
    it is a lot like freindorfoe. the one issue i see is who will be hosting the database for the app to sync with? if people are always adding too it great but that won't help them unless its connected to a syncable database. If you could link it too friend or foe that would be handy..just mimic the interface and have google maps be able to import the address by GPS .

  7. #7
    Regular Member RR_Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    172
    That app will be quickly banned by Apple. Google might also. (Not sure how you are using the data, but Google might be able to block you.)

    You'll need to re-phrase it as "weapons free safe zones" or something like that. (Look up what "weapons free" means for a good laugh.)

    A side bonus, you may even be able to get businesses to self-sign up for it so we don't have to do the work. There are a lot more of them there are of us at the moment so make their numbers work against them.
    "I can only be held responsible for my own stupidity." - Captain Nemo

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,319
    Quote Originally Posted by islandbayy View Post
    Thanks, now, what we need is another Thread for Pro-CCW/Firearms Businesses.

    I would like to incorporate the businesses in the following Format:

    Business Name
    Address
    Website


    At the moment, I think I will be able to do that as text only, as I figure this thing out more, I may be able to have it link to Google Maps on the i-Device and show the location and optional to have directions.

    As of right now, I also have incorporated the entirety of the Wisconsin CCW Law and a copy of Act 35
    We have a list of businesses who do not want "our kind" giving them money: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...pon-our-rights

    Every other business is good to go.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greendale
    Posts
    12
    I might need to find someone who is a lot more knowledgeable on designing apps then The way I have it right now, the database is contained within the app, and I would just release a "New" version with updated database say, every couple of weeks.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greendale
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by RR_Broccoli View Post
    That app will be quickly banned by Apple. Google might also. (Not sure how you are using the data, but Google might be able to block you.)

    You'll need to re-phrase it as "weapons free safe zones" or something like that. (Look up what "weapons free" means for a good laugh.)

    A side bonus, you may even be able to get businesses to self-sign up for it so we don't have to do the work. There are a lot more of them there are of us at the moment so make their numbers work against them.

    They way I have been phraseing it so far is CCW-Friendly or Unfriendly, or Firearm Friendly/unfriendly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •