• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-Friendly to CCW Businesses iPhone App

islandbayy

Hello everyone, first post here, though, have been lurking for a while.
I wanted to tell everyone what I am working on. I liked the idea of your "master list" of businesses that do not allow CCW, and decided, a convenient way to help fellow CCW carriers (or at least some) was to make a iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad application. I have a decent first go of the app made already, and am using the "UN-Friendly" list from this forum.

The app will be free of charge in the App store.

I just wanted to get others opinions on my idea weather or not you think it will be of good use. I will keep it updated regularly, and will include contact information on how to add businesses to the list. I will have a requirement though, to have a business added, along with the business name, must also include a "legible" picture of the main entrance of the store clearly showing the sign posted dis-allowing CCW/Firearms (I know it's asking a lot, however, I am not a liberal, and as such, I have morals and want to make sure no one gets added to the list by accident).

So any input would be great! I will do the best I can from what ability I have to make a App!

Cheers!

Carmmond

Hello everyone, first post here, though, have been lurking for a while.
I wanted to tell everyone what I am working on. I liked the idea of your "master list" of businesses that do not allow CCW, and decided, a convenient way to help fellow CCW carriers (or at least some) was to make a iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad application. I have a decent first go of the app made already, and am using the "UN-Friendly" list from this forum.

The app will be free of charge in the App store.

I just wanted to get others opinions on my idea weather or not you think it will be of good use. I will keep it updated regularly, and will include contact information on how to add businesses to the list. I will have a requirement though, to have a business added, along with the business name, must also include a "legible" picture of the main entrance of the store clearly showing the sign posted dis-allowing CCW/Firearms (I know it's asking a lot, however, I am not a liberal, and as such, I have morals and want to make sure no one gets added to the list by accident).

So any input would be great! I will do the best I can from what ability I have to make a App!

Cheers!

Could use it I just got an Iphone4S... as for the picture why not it only takes 2 seconds for anyone with the phone and your reason for wanting it makes sense.

islandbayy

Thanks, now, what we need is another Thread for Pro-CCW/Firearms Businesses.

I would like to incorporate the businesses in the following Format:

Business Name
Address
Website

At the moment, I think I will be able to do that as text only, as I figure this thing out more, I may be able to have it link to Google Maps on the i-Device and show the location and optional to have directions.

As of right now, I also have incorporated the entirety of the Wisconsin CCW Law and a copy of Act 35

Last edited:

Sorcice

it is a lot like freindorfoe. the one issue i see is who will be hosting the database for the app to sync with? if people are always adding too it great but that won't help them unless its connected to a syncable database. If you could link it too friend or foe that would be handy..just mimic the interface and have google maps be able to import the address by GPS :).

RR_Broccoli

That app will be quickly banned by Apple. Google might also. (Not sure how you are using the data, but Google might be able to block you.)

You'll need to re-phrase it as "weapons free safe zones" or something like that. (Look up what "weapons free" means for a good laugh.)

A side bonus, you may even be able to get businesses to self-sign up for it so we don't have to do the work. There are a lot more of them there are of us at the moment so make their numbers work against them.

protias

Thanks, now, what we need is another Thread for Pro-CCW/Firearms Businesses.

I would like to incorporate the businesses in the following Format:

Business Name
Address
Website

At the moment, I think I will be able to do that as text only, as I figure this thing out more, I may be able to have it link to Google Maps on the i-Device and show the location and optional to have directions.

As of right now, I also have incorporated the entirety of the Wisconsin CCW Law and a copy of Act 35

We have a list of businesses who do not want "our kind" giving them money: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...isconsin-stores-that-infringe-upon-our-rights

Every other business is good to go.

islandbayy

I might need to find someone who is a lot more knowledgeable on designing apps then :( The way I have it right now, the database is contained within the app, and I would just release a "New" version with updated database say, every couple of weeks.

islandbayy

That app will be quickly banned by Apple. Google might also. (Not sure how you are using the data, but Google might be able to block you.)

You'll need to re-phrase it as "weapons free safe zones" or something like that. (Look up what "weapons free" means for a good laugh.)

A side bonus, you may even be able to get businesses to self-sign up for it so we don't have to do the work. There are a lot more of them there are of us at the moment so make their numbers work against them.

They way I have been phraseing it so far is CCW-Friendly or Unfriendly, or Firearm Friendly/unfriendly.