Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Experience

Open Carry Experience

Hi all! May name is Ed. I am new to posting on the forum (though I have been a lurker for quite some time).

I had my first open carry experience this last weekend. I was returning from a Thanksgiving visit to my folks in Cheyenne,WY. I open carried my Kahr P-9. I felt very comfortable with it on at first, since I only stopped at rest stops and to pump gas. Finally, I had to go inside the Chevron in Fillmore, Utah. It was very crowded inside, and to tell the truth, I felt really uneasy going inside. I didn't know how people would react. I thought of children crying, adults angrily lecturing me, and the clerk kicking me out.

Actually, this is not the first time I open carried. I had made the same trip from Cheyenne to Las Vegas a few weeks ago after I went to Cheyenne after my brother-in-law died there. On the way back to Vegas I stopped at the same Chevron and went inside to get a subway sandwich and drink. I chickened out, unholstered my handgun and placed it in the trunk of my car. Then, I covered my holster with my jacket and went inside. This last time, I finally got up the courage to leave my pistol in the holster and open carry inside.

It turned out that absolutely nothing happened! I don't think most people in the store even saw my weapon. I was wearing a dark wind breaker and dark jeans and my holster and gun are black. I just don't think many even noticed I had it. The clerk saw it when I went to the counter to check out. She just smiled and checked out my items. There were a couple of customers who saw it, but they didn't say anything to me about it. It may be because I was wearing my "U.S. Air Force Veteran" ball cap at the time. I don't know.

Even though there wasn't any negative reaction or confrontation while I was open carrying, I still felt weird carrying it openly. I was really self-conscious about it. I had openly carried before as a uniformed reserve police officer, and I never really thought about it when I was carrying while on duty. I was doing the same thing I did when I was a cop...carrying openly. It was just the change in circumstance...open carrying while not being a cop...that made me feel self-conscious about it. Did anyone else have the same kind of feeling when you started to open carry?

Anyway, I will continue to open carry now that I got my feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2276 View Post
    Hi all! May name is Ed. I am new to posting on the forum (though I have been a lurker for quite some time).

I had my first open carry experience this last weekend. I was returning from a Thanksgiving visit to my folks in Cheyenne,WY. I open carried my Kahr P-9. I felt very comfortable with it on at first, since I only stopped at rest stops and to pump gas. Finally, I had to go inside the Chevron in Fillmore, Utah. It was very crowded inside, and to tell the truth, I felt really uneasy going inside. I didn't know how people would react. I thought of children crying, adults angrily lecturing me, and the clerk kicking me out.

Actually, this is not the first time I open carried. I had made the same trip from Cheyenne to Las Vegas a few weeks ago after I went to Cheyenne after my brother-in-law died there. On the way back to Vegas I stopped at the same Chevron and went inside to get a subway sandwich and drink. I chickened out, unholstered my handgun and placed it in the trunk of my car. Then, I covered my holster with my jacket and went inside. This last time, I finally got up the courage to leave my pistol in the holster and open carry inside.

It turned out that absolutely nothing happened! I don't think most people in the store even saw my weapon. I was wearing a dark wind breaker and dark jeans and my holster and gun are black. I just don't think many even noticed I had it. The clerk saw it when I went to the counter to check out. She just smiled and checked out my items. There were a couple of customers who saw it, but they didn't say anything to me about it. It may be because I was wearing my "U.S. Air Force Veteran" ball cap at the time. I don't know.

Even though there wasn't any negative reaction or confrontation while I was open carrying, I still felt weird carrying it openly. I was really self-conscious about it. I had openly carried before as a uniformed reserve police officer, and I never really thought about it when I was carrying while on duty. I was doing the same thing I did when I was a cop...carrying openly. It was just the change in circumstance...open carrying while not being a cop...that made me feel self-conscious about it. Did anyone else have the same kind of feeling when you started to open carry?

Anyway, I will continue to open carry now that I got my feet wet.

First, welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, I think I can safely say that near all of us who open carry were a bit nervous the first time we carried and for a short time thereafter. It takes a while for you to get over being self-conscience about it. I generally never think about it anymore but on very rare occasions I still get a small quick bit of it again. It will get easier as time goes by.

TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

Activist Member
    Welcome to the forum Ed.

Most of the time, there is nary a reaction when I open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    First, welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, I think I can safely say that near all of us who open carry were a bit nervous the first time we carried and for a short time thereafter. It takes a while for you to get over being self-conscience about it. I generally never think about it anymore but on very rare occasions I still get a small quick bit of it again. It will get easier as time goes by.

TBG
    Thanks for the welcome, TBG.

Quote Originally Posted by Felid`Maximus View Post
    Welcome to the forum Ed.

Most of the time, there is nary a reaction when I open carry.
    Thanks for the welcome, Maximus. I'm hoping that will the case with me, as well.

I was in BB & B the other day looking for a very specific specialty class, and I had my phone out to show the salesman a picture of it because it's very uncommon. when I put it away and his eyes followed my hand to my pocket he was a little surprised to see my firearm and asked if I always carry one. I said yes and hesimply shrugged his shoulders as if he could accept that some people carry a firearm. I thanked him for not calling it a gun, because I don't carry a gun. He said what do you mean. I explained that only criminals carry guns and only sensationalists refer to them as guns. I carry a firearm.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada carrier View Post
    I thanked him for not calling it a gun, because I don't carry a gun. He said what do you mean. I explained that only criminals carry guns and only sensationalists refer to them as guns. I carry a firearm.
    Seems kind of unnecessary.

Common use of the term gun is simply referring to a firearm with no discernible negative connotation that I'm aware of. Even the NRA and GOA call firearms guns.

The only people who don't refer to firearms as guns are those who follow the military definition whereby guns are cannons. [ I bet most cannons are too burdensome for a criminal to carry! ]

I was in BB & B the other day looking for a very specific specialty class, and I had my phone out to show the salesman a picture of it because it's very uncommon. when I put it away and his eyes followed my hand to my pocket he was a little surprised to see my firearm and asked if I always carry one. I said yes and hesimply shrugged his shoulders as if he could accept that some people carry a firearm. I thanked him for not calling it a gun, because I don't carry a gun. He said what do you mean. I explained that only criminals carry guns and only sensationalists refer to them as guns. I carry a firearm.
    When they ask "are you carring a gun?" I look down and giggle "nope I carry a personal life safety device." That usally makes them start thinking and throws them off....lol

I agree and I always refer to it as a firearm as well. Unfortunately "gun" has a negative connotation brought on by too many bullets being sprayed on the big and little screens. The anti's are always referring to the evil "gun". It's like the term "assault weapon", I never use it.

TBG

2A
    Last edited by OC-moto450r; 08-02-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OC-moto450r View Post
    Welcome to the forum Ed. Can you make it to the "Run What You Brung" meet on Dec 17th? It will be good time to help you (and the rest of us) normalize our own concerns about OCing.
    One question. Did you research the other State's laws before OC in them?
    Thank you for the welcome, OC.

I'm not sure what the "Run What You Brung" meet is? Can you give me more info? I should be able to attend the meet on that date. As of right now I don't have any other plans that day.

I did research Utah and Wyoming. In Utah I knew that I had to have my pistol at least two actions from firing, which meant having an empty chamber. Wyoming is a constitutional carry state so I thought I could carry concealed there, but I read elsewhere that applied to those who have been Wyoming residents for at least 6 months. I open carried in my car in Wyoming on the way back to Vegas. I stopped in Evanston at the Wyoming/Utah border and cleared the round from the chamber before entering Utah.

If you get your UT CCW permit, you can then OC a loaded firearm.

Also, unloaded OC is only for the handgun on your hip when carrying on a public street.

Even without a CCW permit, you can have a handgun in your car fully loaded in UT, even at 18, including concealed on your person.

Utah Code Ann 76-10-505
    Last edited by MAC702; 12-01-2011 at 10:49 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Wyoming is a constitutional carry state. Carry away in what ever condition you see fit.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

2A
    Last edited by OC-moto450r; 08-02-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Wyoming is a constitutional carry state. Carry away in what ever condition you see fit.
    But CCW Constitutional Carry only for WY residents!

Quote Originally Posted by varminter22 View Post
    But CCW Constitutional Carry only for WY residents!
    Guess the folks up there don't see us as equal. I didn't know this and it sure is a surprise.

TBG

Centurion
    Guess the folks up there don't see us as equal. I didn't know this and it sure is a surprise.

TBG
    In Wyoming ALL are equal... just some are more so!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    If you get your UT CCW permit, you can then OC a loaded firearm.

Also, unloaded OC is only for the handgun on your hip when carrying on a public street.

Even without a CCW permit, you can have a handgun in your car fully loaded in UT, even at 18, including concealed on your person.

Utah Code Ann 76-10-505
    I just looked this up as I go up there now and then. If I get it correctly, I can carry fully loaded in my car, or on private property such as a mall or store (as long as it is not posted), but not while I'm walking on the street. Did I get that correct?

TBG

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    In Wyoming ALL are equal... just some are more so!
    Ah! Them pigs is pigs....

I just looked this up as I go up there now and then. If I get it correctly, I can carry fully loaded in my car, or on private property such as a mall or store (as long as it is not posted), but not while I'm walking on the street. Did I get that correct?

TBG
    I am absolutely sure about the car. This was specifically covered in our UT CCW Instructors class taught by the UT BCI.

Private property (without a permit) wasn't covered, except also I how read the law. One might assume you'd need specific permission from the property owner to do more than what is allowed in public. IANALATGFT.
    Last edited by MAC702; 12-02-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Centurion
    I am absolutely sure about the car. This was specifically covered in our UT CCW Instructors class taught by the UT BCI.

Private property (without a permit) wasn't covered, except also I how read the law. One might assume you'd need specific permission from the property owner to do more than what is allowed in public. IANALATGFT.
    The ONLY signage in UTAH regarding firearms that has ANY legal teeth is signage prohibiting carry in: Courthouses, Jails, Secure Mental Facilities, Secure portions of Airports. There is a specific list in the UTAH Legislative code. Federal Regulations prohibit carry on POST OFFICE PROPERTY and inside FEDERAL courthouses. PER UTAH code it is an OFFENSE to carry inside CERTAIN churches (list on BCI's website). I think it is ONLY the LDS church houses and Temples. A private home that is posted or where you are verbally informed that carry is not allowed is included in the same statute covering certain churches.

Malls, shopping centers, convention centers, hospitals, or other private property that may have signs BANNING carry have NO firearms related charges associated with them but ONLY ( I know, still a law violation) a trespassing charge. The trespassing statutes allows a defense that if the property was open to the public when you were otherwise lawfully present and your actions did not impede the owner from conducting business. ( I don't know of any cases where one has successfully used this defense, but it is the LAST LINE OF THAT SPECIFIC CODE.)

Yep, it is 100% fully legal for anyone 18 years or older who can legally possess a firearm and who either is in lawful possession of a vehicle or has permission from one who is authorized to have the vehicle to have a {loaded, unloaded (Utah definition), concealed or openly carried} any combination of what is contained within the {} handgun with NO REQUIREMENT TO NOTIFY. And Yes, that same handgun must be UTAH unloaded (empty chamber AND more than one mechanical action to make the gun fire) once you are on a public road (a term not defined in the Utah Code) UNLESS you have been issued a concealed carry permit that UTAH recognizes. BTW-- UTAH recognizes ANY permit issued by ANY COUNTY OR STATE. (As as aside--- IF Washington DC issued a permit would it be recognized by UTAH? Washington DC is NOT A COUNTY OR A STATE!)

For those interested here is a link to a page where the UTAH CONCEALED CARRY dot com forum maintains a repository of federal and Utah state laws for your perusal....

http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/vi....php?f=11&t=99
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    ...And Yes, that same handgun must be UTAH unloaded (empty chamber AND more than one mechanical action to make the gun fire) once you are on a public road (a term not defined in the Utah Code) UNLESS you have been issued a concealed carry permit that UTAH recognizes...
    Are you saying that if an unlicensed person were driving on a public road, he must unload the handgun in the car? I don't think you meant to say that, but it's how I would take it if I were reading it without already knowing differently.

Centurion
    Are you saying that if an unlicensed person were driving on a public road, he must unload the handgun in the car? I don't think you meant to say that, but it's how I would take it if I were reading it without already knowing differently.
    Nope, not saying that, didn't say ANYTHING about an "unlicensed" person (unlicensed vehicle operation on the public roads is a completely different topic) ONLY talking about one WITHOUT a PERMIT to conceal a firearm.... As long as one is 18 years or older and lawfully in possession of the vehicle or has permission from one lawfully in possession of the vehicle the lawfully possessed handgun can be legally concealed/unconcealed OR loaded/unloaded AS LONG AS THE GUN POSSESSOR IS IN THE VEHICLE. Once out of the vehicle the UTAH unloaded requirement comes into play IF ON A PUBLIC ROAD. A "public road" is not defined in the the Utah code.

I am saying that an UNPERMITTED gun carrier with a loaded handgun in a car MUST UNLOAD the handgun BEFORE exiting the car IF by exiting he would be OUTSIDE OF A VEHICLE on a PUBLIC ROAD! Personally, I HATE all the legally required firearms handling required by the unpermitted who chooses to carry a loaded handgun IN A VEHICLE to remain STRICTLY legal!

But, thanks!
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 12-03-2011 at 12:10 AM.

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA

Yes, I now agree with how you have phrased it!

28kfps
    A year or so back I OCed on my motorcycle to a group campout in Helper UT., round trip with a few side trips was about 1500 miles. After reviewing the laws and having a NV. CCW I had determined I was good to go for open carrying a fully charged firearm while traveling in UT.
    Open carried down I15 and I70 occasional passed by the law. Stopped for lunch at the Cracker Barrel in Saint Gorge, open carrying all the time, getting gas or to eat, never an Issue. At a different time I open carried at Panguitch Lake UT. While fishing and in the town at a grocery store and later a hardware store, no issues. After reading this thread, I am wondering if I was legal or lucky.
    Last edited by 28kfps; 12-03-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast