• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Experience

JoeSparky

Centurion
I am absolutely sure about the car. This was specifically covered in our UT CCW Instructors class taught by the UT BCI.

Private property (without a permit) wasn't covered, except also I how read the law. One might assume you'd need specific permission from the property owner to do more than what is allowed in public. IANALATGFT.

The ONLY signage in UTAH regarding firearms that has ANY legal teeth is signage prohibiting carry in: Courthouses, Jails, Secure Mental Facilities, Secure portions of Airports. There is a specific list in the UTAH Legislative code. Federal Regulations prohibit carry on POST OFFICE PROPERTY and inside FEDERAL courthouses. PER UTAH code it is an OFFENSE to carry inside CERTAIN churches (list on BCI's website). I think it is ONLY the LDS church houses and Temples. A private home that is posted or where you are verbally informed that carry is not allowed is included in the same statute covering certain churches.

Malls, shopping centers, convention centers, hospitals, or other private property that may have signs BANNING carry have NO firearms related charges associated with them but ONLY ( I know, still a law violation) a trespassing charge. The trespassing statutes allows a defense that if the property was open to the public when you were otherwise lawfully present and your actions did not impede the owner from conducting business. ( I don't know of any cases where one has successfully used this defense, but it is the LAST LINE OF THAT SPECIFIC CODE.)

Yep, it is 100% fully legal for anyone 18 years or older who can legally possess a firearm and who either is in lawful possession of a vehicle or has permission from one who is authorized to have the vehicle to have a {loaded, unloaded (Utah definition), concealed or openly carried} any combination of what is contained within the {} handgun with NO REQUIREMENT TO NOTIFY. And Yes, that same handgun must be UTAH unloaded (empty chamber AND more than one mechanical action to make the gun fire) once you are on a public road (a term not defined in the Utah Code) UNLESS you have been issued a concealed carry permit that UTAH recognizes. BTW-- UTAH recognizes ANY permit issued by ANY COUNTY OR STATE. (As as aside--- IF Washington DC issued a permit would it be recognized by UTAH? Washington DC is NOT A COUNTY OR A STATE!)

For those interested here is a link to a page where the UTAH CONCEALED CARRY dot com forum maintains a repository of federal and Utah state laws for your perusal....

http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=99

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...And Yes, that same handgun must be UTAH unloaded (empty chamber AND more than one mechanical action to make the gun fire) once you are on a public road (a term not defined in the Utah Code) UNLESS you have been issued a concealed carry permit that UTAH recognizes...

Are you saying that if an unlicensed person were driving on a public road, he must unload the handgun in the car? I don't think you meant to say that, but it's how I would take it if I were reading it without already knowing differently.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Are you saying that if an unlicensed person were driving on a public road, he must unload the handgun in the car? I don't think you meant to say that, but it's how I would take it if I were reading it without already knowing differently.

Nope, not saying that, didn't say ANYTHING about an "unlicensed" person (unlicensed vehicle operation on the public roads is a completely different topic) ONLY talking about one WITHOUT a PERMIT to conceal a firearm.... As long as one is 18 years or older and lawfully in possession of the vehicle or has permission from one lawfully in possession of the vehicle the lawfully possessed handgun can be legally concealed/unconcealed OR loaded/unloaded AS LONG AS THE GUN POSSESSOR IS IN THE VEHICLE. Once out of the vehicle the UTAH unloaded requirement comes into play IF ON A PUBLIC ROAD. A "public road" is not defined in the the Utah code.

I am saying that an UNPERMITTED gun carrier with a loaded handgun in a car MUST UNLOAD the handgun BEFORE exiting the car IF by exiting he would be OUTSIDE OF A VEHICLE on a PUBLIC ROAD! Personally, I HATE all the legally required firearms handling required by the unpermitted who chooses to carry a loaded handgun IN A VEHICLE to remain STRICTLY legal!

But, thanks!

Last edited:

28kfps

A year or so back I OCed on my motorcycle to a group campout in Helper UT., round trip with a few side trips was about 1500 miles. After reviewing the laws and having a NV. CCW I had determined I was good to go for open carrying a fully charged firearm while traveling in UT.
Open carried down I15 and I70 occasional passed by the law. Stopped for lunch at the Cracker Barrel in Saint Gorge, open carrying all the time, getting gas or to eat, never an Issue. At a different time I open carried at Panguitch Lake UT. While fishing and in the town at a grocery store and later a hardware store, no issues. After reading this thread, I am wondering if I was legal or lucky.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
A year or so back I OCed on my motorcycle to a group campout in Helper UT., round trip with a few side trips was about 1500 miles. After reviewing the laws and having a NV. CCW I had determined I was good to go for open carrying a fully charged firearm while traveling in UT.
Open carried down I15 and I70 occasional passed by the law. Stopped for lunch at the Cracker Barrel in Saint Gorge, open carrying all the time, getting gas or to eat, never an Issue. At a different time I open carried at Panguitch Lake UT. While fishing and in the town at a grocery store and later a hardware store, no issues. After reading this thread, I am wondering if I was legal or lucky.

With your NV permit (Utah recognizes all permits issued by any COUNTY or STATE) your were 100% good and LUCKY. LOL

The permit DOES CERTAINLY give one more "carry" freedoms that not having does not!

MilProGuy

Thanks, ed2276, for sharing your first "civilian" open carry experience with us.

Last edited:

Sabotage70

Ah ok...I should be able to meet up with you guys and gals for a pic there. I , as of this moment, don't have anything planned for that date. I don't have a long gun, though. I'll just be sporting my pistol.

That's fine. I'm not really expecting to many to begin with. But for the last photo I was only expecting a few people. Hopefully we can get some of the lurkers out for this one to.