• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Experience

ed2276

Hi all! May name is Ed. I am new to posting on the forum (though I have been a lurker for quite some time).

I had my first open carry experience this last weekend. I was returning from a Thanksgiving visit to my folks in Cheyenne,WY. I open carried my Kahr P-9. I felt very comfortable with it on at first, since I only stopped at rest stops and to pump gas. Finally, I had to go inside the Chevron in Fillmore, Utah. It was very crowded inside, and to tell the truth, I felt really uneasy going inside. I didn't know how people would react. I thought of children crying, adults angrily lecturing me, and the clerk kicking me out.

Actually, this is not the first time I open carried. I had made the same trip from Cheyenne to Las Vegas a few weeks ago after I went to Cheyenne after my brother-in-law died there. On the way back to Vegas I stopped at the same Chevron and went inside to get a subway sandwich and drink. I chickened out, unholstered my handgun and placed it in the trunk of my car. Then, I covered my holster with my jacket and went inside. This last time, I finally got up the courage to leave my pistol in the holster and open carry inside.

It turned out that absolutely nothing happened! I don't think most people in the store even saw my weapon. I was wearing a dark wind breaker and dark jeans and my holster and gun are black. I just don't think many even noticed I had it. The clerk saw it when I went to the counter to check out. She just smiled and checked out my items. There were a couple of customers who saw it, but they didn't say anything to me about it. It may be because I was wearing my "U.S. Air Force Veteran" ball cap at the time. I don't know.

Even though there wasn't any negative reaction or confrontation while I was open carrying, I still felt weird carrying it openly. I was really self-conscious about it. I had openly carried before as a uniformed reserve police officer, and I never really thought about it when I was carrying while on duty. I was doing the same thing I did when I was a cop...carrying openly. It was just the change in circumstance...open carrying while not being a cop...that made me feel self-conscious about it. Did anyone else have the same kind of feeling when you started to open carry?

Anyway, I will continue to open carry now that I got my feet wet.

The Big Guy

Hi all! May name is Ed. I am new to posting on the forum (though I have been a lurker for quite some time).

I had my first open carry experience this last weekend. I was returning from a Thanksgiving visit to my folks in Cheyenne,WY. I open carried my Kahr P-9. I felt very comfortable with it on at first, since I only stopped at rest stops and to pump gas. Finally, I had to go inside the Chevron in Fillmore, Utah. It was very crowded inside, and to tell the truth, I felt really uneasy going inside. I didn't know how people would react. I thought of children crying, adults angrily lecturing me, and the clerk kicking me out.

Actually, this is not the first time I open carried. I had made the same trip from Cheyenne to Las Vegas a few weeks ago after I went to Cheyenne after my brother-in-law died there. On the way back to Vegas I stopped at the same Chevron and went inside to get a subway sandwich and drink. I chickened out, unholstered my handgun and placed it in the trunk of my car. Then, I covered my holster with my jacket and went inside. This last time, I finally got up the courage to leave my pistol in the holster and open carry inside.

It turned out that absolutely nothing happened! I don't think most people in the store even saw my weapon. I was wearing a dark wind breaker and dark jeans and my holster and gun are black. I just don't think many even noticed I had it. The clerk saw it when I went to the counter to check out. She just smiled and checked out my items. There were a couple of customers who saw it, but they didn't say anything to me about it. It may be because I was wearing my "U.S. Air Force Veteran" ball cap at the time. I don't know.

Even though there wasn't any negative reaction or confrontation while I was open carrying, I still felt weird carrying it openly. I was really self-conscious about it. I had openly carried before as a uniformed reserve police officer, and I never really thought about it when I was carrying while on duty. I was doing the same thing I did when I was a cop...carrying openly. It was just the change in circumstance...open carrying while not being a cop...that made me feel self-conscious about it. Did anyone else have the same kind of feeling when you started to open carry?

Anyway, I will continue to open carry now that I got my feet wet.

First, welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, I think I can safely say that near all of us who open carry were a bit nervous the first time we carried and for a short time thereafter. It takes a while for you to get over being self-conscience about it. I generally never think about it anymore but on very rare occasions I still get a small quick bit of it again. It will get easier as time goes by.

TBG

ed2276

First, welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, I think I can safely say that near all of us who open carry were a bit nervous the first time we carried and for a short time thereafter. It takes a while for you to get over being self-conscience about it. I generally never think about it anymore but on very rare occasions I still get a small quick bit of it again. It will get easier as time goes by.

TBG

Thanks for the welcome, TBG.

Nevada carrier

I was in BB & B the other day looking for a very specific specialty class, and I had my phone out to show the salesman a picture of it because it's very uncommon. when I put it away and his eyes followed my hand to my pocket he was a little surprised to see my firearm and asked if I always carry one. I said yes and hesimply shrugged his shoulders as if he could accept that some people carry a firearm. I thanked him for not calling it a gun, because I don't carry a gun. He said what do you mean. I explained that only criminals carry guns and only sensationalists refer to them as guns. I carry a firearm.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I thanked him for not calling it a gun, because I don't carry a gun. He said what do you mean. I explained that only criminals carry guns and only sensationalists refer to them as guns. I carry a firearm.

Seems kind of unnecessary.

Common use of the term gun is simply referring to a firearm with no discernible negative connotation that I'm aware of. Even the NRA and GOA call firearms guns.

The only people who don't refer to firearms as guns are those who follow the military definition whereby guns are cannons. [ I bet most cannons are too burdensome for a criminal to carry! ]

DocWalker

I was in BB & B the other day looking for a very specific specialty class, and I had my phone out to show the salesman a picture of it because it's very uncommon. when I put it away and his eyes followed my hand to my pocket he was a little surprised to see my firearm and asked if I always carry one. I said yes and hesimply shrugged his shoulders as if he could accept that some people carry a firearm. I thanked him for not calling it a gun, because I don't carry a gun. He said what do you mean. I explained that only criminals carry guns and only sensationalists refer to them as guns. I carry a firearm.

When they ask "are you carring a gun?" I look down and giggle "nope I carry a personal life safety device." That usally makes them start thinking and throws them off....lol

The Big Guy

I agree and I always refer to it as a firearm as well. Unfortunately "gun" has a negative connotation brought on by too many bullets being sprayed on the big and little screens. The anti's are always referring to the evil "gun". It's like the term "assault weapon", I never use it.

TBG

ed2276

Welcome to the forum Ed. Can you make it to the "Run What You Brung" meet on Dec 17th? It will be good time to help you (and the rest of us) normalize our own concerns about OCing.
One question. Did you research the other State's laws before OC in them?

Thank you for the welcome, OC.

I'm not sure what the "Run What You Brung" meet is? Can you give me more info? I should be able to attend the meet on that date. As of right now I don't have any other plans that day.

I did research Utah and Wyoming. In Utah I knew that I had to have my pistol at least two actions from firing, which meant having an empty chamber. Wyoming is a constitutional carry state so I thought I could carry concealed there, but I read elsewhere that applied to those who have been Wyoming residents for at least 6 months. I open carried in my car in Wyoming on the way back to Vegas. I stopped in Evanston at the Wyoming/Utah border and cleared the round from the chamber before entering Utah.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If you get your UT CCW permit, you can then OC a loaded firearm.

Also, unloaded OC is only for the handgun on your hip when carrying on a public street.

Even without a CCW permit, you can have a handgun in your car fully loaded in UT, even at 18, including concealed on your person.

Utah Code Ann 76-10-505

Last edited:

The Big Guy

If you get your UT CCW permit, you can then OC a loaded firearm.

Also, unloaded OC is only for the handgun on your hip when carrying on a public street.

Even without a CCW permit, you can have a handgun in your car fully loaded in UT, even at 18, including concealed on your person.

Utah Code Ann 76-10-505

I just looked this up as I go up there now and then. If I get it correctly, I can carry fully loaded in my car, or on private property such as a mall or store (as long as it is not posted), but not while I'm walking on the street. Did I get that correct?

TBG

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I just looked this up as I go up there now and then. If I get it correctly, I can carry fully loaded in my car, or on private property such as a mall or store (as long as it is not posted), but not while I'm walking on the street. Did I get that correct?

TBG

I am absolutely sure about the car. This was specifically covered in our UT CCW Instructors class taught by the UT BCI.

Private property (without a permit) wasn't covered, except also I how read the law. One might assume you'd need specific permission from the property owner to do more than what is allowed in public. IANALATGFT.

Last edited: