• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We got Gamelands OC and CC!!!!!!

chiefjason

Yes!!!!! This has been a gripe of mine for a while. Particularly since I spend most of my time on gamelands outside of hunting season, mostly fishing and hiking. We were limited to a .22 pistol or shotgun in the past. No more! If you are legal to possess it, you are legal to carry it. I'm stoked. It was originally listed as being able to CC during any hunting season. They have since updated the site to allow OC and CC year round, unless the property owner does not wish to allow it. That's kind of a bummer, but private property rights are a big deal and they are letting us use their land. Maybe some letter writing to the corporate owners would be helpful. Here is the documentation and link.

POSSESSION OF FIREARMS ON GAME LANDS

On State-owned game lands, and all other lands unless prohibited by the landowner, persons may lawfully carry any firearm openly that they are otherwise lawfully entitled to possess, and may also carry a concealed handgun if they possess a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued to them. However, persons may not hunt with any firearm being carried unless such firearm is authorized as a lawful method of take for that open season. The exempted game lands where concealed carry is prohibited are:

Buckhorn
Harris
Sutton Lake
Mayo
Hyco
Lee
Chatham
Pee Dee, area north of U.S. 74
Butner-Falls
Jordan
Vance
Kerr Scott
Dupont
Bladen Lakes
Wayne Bailey-Caswell, area north of U.S. 158 and east of N.C. 119

POSSESSION OF FIREARMS ON BOATING AND FISHING ACCESS AREAS

No person shall possesses a loaded firearm on any public fishing or boating access area, with the exception of those who carry a concealed handgun with a valid concealed handgun permit, unless otherwise prohibited by the landowner and posted as such. This ruling also applies to wildlife conservation areas.

POSSESSION OF FIREARMS AND BIG GAME RETRIEVAL

A hunter may use a .22 caliber rimfire pistol or a handgun otherwise legal for that hunting season to dispatch a wounded big game animal, including during the archery and muzzleloader seasons.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Licensing/Regulations/FireArmsandConcealedCarry.aspx

rotorhead

Great news for CHP holders!

For those of us that have yet to get one for whatever reason, take heart. At least we can stop and hit a highway rest area without being hassled if we're about to have a biological digestive accident :)

chiefjason

Great news for CHP holders!

For those of us that have yet to get one for whatever reason, take heart. At least we can stop and hit a highway rest area without being hassled if we're about to have a biological digestive accident :)

Read that first sentence again. You can carry anything you can legally posses, and you can conceal if you have a permit. This is full blow carry any way you please, permit or not.

chiefjason

Of course, all the ones I would carry at are exempted.

Yeah, it think that's a private property rights issue though. I've been wondering if we could write the land owners to get any of this changed? I have not looked into it though. Another issue brought up on another board is that a strict reading of the regulation makes it sound like OC would be OK but CC would not on exempted gamelands. That's not advice though. Maybe that's something we should get cleared up too.

bc.cruiser

Chief, I think that last sentence is pretty straight forward: "The exempted game lands where concealed carry is prohibited are:"

CC would be disallowed in the laundry list of exempted areas, but OC would be OK. At least that's what I'll go with until a Wildlife officer makes me become one with the pinestraw.

chiefjason

Chief, I think that last sentence is pretty straight forward: "The exempted game lands where concealed carry is prohibited are:"

CC would be disallowed in the laundry list of exempted areas, but OC would be OK. At least that's what I'll go with until a Wildlife officer makes me become one with the pinestraw.

I agree, but like I told the other guy; begging for forgiveness is not very good legal advice. I'm torn on whether to ask for clarification or not push the issue. I don't visit any of them anyway, so I'll probably let someone who does ask that question. Also keep in mind you need to check the regs for the individual gamelands to see if handguns are allowed. A couple do not allow them at all.