Thread: Whats the point of this?

Whats the point of this?

I saw this online and wondered.. Ok so unless you have arthritis(totally understandable) or are at a range loading hundreds of rounds why would you possibly need this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	;.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	7486.

Do they make loading THAT much faster?

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    makes it easy and convenient
    until you use one you wont see the point but after you use one you wont want to go back to manual loading
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

Yes, they do (maybe not faster, but easier on the thumbs). I only use it at the range on my XD40, but it sure helps after a couple of magazines worth of shooting. Provides really good leverage and grip to get the last 3-4 rounds in the magazine.
    Last edited by baldp8; 11-29-2011 at 07:18 AM.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’— Thomas Jefferson

Member of NRA, GOA, WCI

Quote Originally Posted by baldp8 View Post
    Yes, they do (maybe not faster, but easier on the thumbs). I only use it at the range on my XD40, but it sure helps after a couple of magazines worth of shooting. Provides really good leverage and grip to get the last 3-4 rounds in the magazine.
    Agreed. I have a 19rd magazine, those last 5 are hard to get in sometimes, especially after I've aleady loaded a couple hindred that day.

Only really worth it out on the range. If you're only loading a single mag for the day, it's worth doesn't shine.
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Anybody that thinks that little gizmo isn't useful has never owned a Beretta.

The new mags for my PX4 use something like 3 pounds of force empty with just the follower, and it goes up to 10 or so pounds on the last round. Try forcing a bullet in using 15 pounds of force with just your finger tips into a slot that wants desperately to pinch the life out of you. You'll be convinced in a hurry.

Heck, the later PX4s actually COME with a mag loader. Without it, to most females, the gun would be 6 shot only as they'd never get the damn things loaded.

(They do loosen up after a couple thousand rounds.)
    "I can only be held responsible for my own stupidity." - Captain Nemo

Quote Originally Posted by RR_Broccoli View Post

The new mags for my PX4 use something like 3 pounds of force empty with just the follower, and it goes up to 10 or so pounds on the last round. Try forcing a bullet in using 15 pounds of force with just your finger tips into a slot that wants desperately to pinch the life out of you. You'll be convinced in a hurry.

Heck, the later PX4s actually COME with a mag loader. Without it, to most females, the gun would be 6 shot only as they'd never get the damn things loaded.

LOL I own a Px4. Sucks I bought mine the year they came out and didn't get the loader. Sigh.. Anyway it may be how you load but I never have issues loading and I have only put MAYBE 2-300 rounds through either of my 2 mags.

I generally have my left hand(offhand) using index and thumb on the sides of the shell as a guide and then palm grip the mag and push down while sliding back with my right hand's thumb.. I remember when I was new to shooting I absolutely hated loading mags because I had no clue how to do it well and kept getting pinched. My friend who shot with me at the time showed me the method I described and it became super easy. I think I'll give it a try. Who knows maybe buy one.

Oh and as I was proofing my reply I noticed you said "new mags" I wonder how much tougher they are to load..hmm.
    Last edited by Sorcice; 11-29-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Try loading a M3 grease gun magazine w/o one...

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    I got one of those with my XDm .40, I looked at it and said "Pfft" until I tried to load those double-stack magazines without the aid of the little tool that they so graciously provided.
    And the double mag holder included with the pistol even has a spot for that to clip onto.

Thumbs up They Work Great!

Heck, try loading any magazine that holds lots of rounds! After a few mags I can't feel anything but pain in my thumbs and fingers. The PMR-30 magazine is especially painful. Try getting 30 rounds in one of those magazines without a loading tool.

I have several magazine loaders for different types of magazines and they all work great. Worth every penny!
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

I can load all my magazines by hand, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it. Magazine loaders are very helpful in saving my hands, but also my time.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Thumbs up Uplula

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcice View Post
    I saw this online and wondered.. Ok so unless you have arthritis(totally understandable) or are at a range loading hundreds of rounds why would you possibly need this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	;.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	7486.

Those UPLULA mag loaders are excellent. You need to buy one, it will be indespensable to you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldngun View Post
    Those UPLULA mag loaders are excellent. You need to buy one, it will be indespensable to you!!
    Buy 2. One for home and one in the range bag!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

I never saw a need for them until I got my SR9. Getting 17 rounds in that little magazine was next to impossible. Luckily they provided a mag loader which was a big help. It's easier now that the springs have loosened up as well.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 11-29-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by RR_Broccoli View Post

Or an XD45. Getting 13 rounds in those mags can be painful without one the those devices. That must be why one came with the handgun. I won't load a mag without it, not even one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcice View Post
    Short answer: yes.
    Longer answer: yes, and it keeps your thumbs from hurting after you load your 20th magazine of the day at a training class.