• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whats the point of this?

Sorcice

I saw this online and wondered.. Ok so unless you have arthritis(totally understandable) or are at a range loading hundreds of rounds why would you possibly need this:

;.jpg.

Do they make loading THAT much faster?

oliverclotheshoff

makes it easy and convenient
until you use one you wont see the point but after you use one you wont want to go back to manual loading

baldp8

Yes, they do (maybe not faster, but easier on the thumbs). I only use it at the range on my XD40, but it sure helps after a couple of magazines worth of shooting. Provides really good leverage and grip to get the last 3-4 rounds in the magazine.

Last edited:

Baked on Grease

Yes, they do (maybe not faster, but easier on the thumbs). I only use it at the range on my XD40, but it sure helps after a couple of magazines worth of shooting. Provides really good leverage and grip to get the last 3-4 rounds in the magazine.

Agreed. I have a 19rd magazine, those last 5 are hard to get in sometimes, especially after I've aleady loaded a couple hindred that day.

Only really worth it out on the range. If you're only loading a single mag for the day, it's worth doesn't shine.

RR_Broccoli

Anybody that thinks that little gizmo isn't useful has never owned a Beretta.

The new mags for my PX4 use something like 3 pounds of force empty with just the follower, and it goes up to 10 or so pounds on the last round. Try forcing a bullet in using 15 pounds of force with just your finger tips into a slot that wants desperately to pinch the life out of you. You'll be convinced in a hurry.

Heck, the later PX4s actually COME with a mag loader. Without it, to most females, the gun would be 6 shot only as they'd never get the damn things loaded.

(They do loosen up after a couple thousand rounds.)

Sorcice

The new mags for my PX4 use something like 3 pounds of force empty with just the follower, and it goes up to 10 or so pounds on the last round. Try forcing a bullet in using 15 pounds of force with just your finger tips into a slot that wants desperately to pinch the life out of you. You'll be convinced in a hurry.

Heck, the later PX4s actually COME with a mag loader. Without it, to most females, the gun would be 6 shot only as they'd never get the damn things loaded.

LOL I own a Px4. Sucks I bought mine the year they came out and didn't get the loader. Sigh.. Anyway it may be how you load but I never have issues loading and I have only put MAYBE 2-300 rounds through either of my 2 mags.

I generally have my left hand(offhand) using index and thumb on the sides of the shell as a guide and then palm grip the mag and push down while sliding back with my right hand's thumb.. I remember when I was new to shooting I absolutely hated loading mags because I had no clue how to do it well and kept getting pinched. My friend who shot with me at the time showed me the method I described and it became super easy. I think I'll give it a try. Who knows maybe buy one.

Oh and as I was proofing my reply I noticed you said "new mags" I wonder how much tougher they are to load..hmm.

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I got one of those with my XDm .40, I looked at it and said "Pfft" until I tried to load those double-stack magazines without the aid of the little tool that they so graciously provided.
And the double mag holder included with the pistol even has a spot for that to clip onto.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
They Work Great!

Heck, try loading any magazine that holds lots of rounds! After a few mags I can't feel anything but pain in my thumbs and fingers. The PMR-30 magazine is especially painful. Try getting 30 rounds in one of those magazines without a loading tool.

I have several magazine loaders for different types of magazines and they all work great. Worth every penny!

protias

I can load all my magazines by hand, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it. Magazine loaders are very helpful in saving my hands, but also my time.

Goldngun

Uplula

I saw this online and wondered.. Ok so unless you have arthritis(totally understandable) or are at a range loading hundreds of rounds why would you possibly need this:

View attachment 7486.

Do they make loading THAT much faster?

Those UPLULA mag loaders are excellent. You need to buy one, it will be indespensable to you!!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I never saw a need for them until I got my SR9. Getting 17 rounds in that little magazine was next to impossible. Luckily they provided a mag loader which was a big help. It's easier now that the springs have loosened up as well.

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

Or an XD45. Getting 13 rounds in those mags can be painful without one the those devices. That must be why one came with the handgun. I won't load a mag without it, not even one.