• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO and CCL????

oliverclotheshoff

say im not carying and dont even have a weapon in the vehicle and get pulled over, if the officer asks for my CCL am i still required to show it to him even though i have no weapons on or in my car?????

bigdaddy1

I don't think the DMV will notify the officer that the registered owner has a CCL, don't think it works that way. That would/could present problems say if your wife (who isn't carrying or isn't licensed) is driving. So the question shouldn't come up unless either that officer knows you personally, or you offer the information. Now if you have a bright bumper sticker on that says; I CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON, that might give an officer cause for pause.:D

M

McX

instead of the nifty little signs saying: baby on board, maybe one that says: gun on board?

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
instead of the nifty little signs saying: baby on board, maybe one that says: gun on board?
Like this?

oaau54.jpg

BROKENSPROKET

say im not carying and dont even have a weapon in the vehicle and get pulled over, if the officer asks for my CCL am i still required to show it to him even though i have no weapons on or in my car?????

The only time that you are required to displayyour CCL and Photo ID, is if, upon lawful request and you are carrying concealed or open carrying in a place that requires a CCL. Even if you have guns in the car, but you are not carrying concealed, you are not required to display your CCL.

oliverclotheshoff

but if your carrying concealed how will the officer know?

i only bring his question up i have heard that some LEO are being trained to ask if you are a ccl holder and if you have any weapons on or with you during traffic stops

Last edited:

technician

i only bring his question up i have heard that some LEO are being trained to ask if you are a ccl holder and if you have any weapons on or with you during traffic stops

I wouldn't answer his/her question either way. Don't say "No, I am not carrying", deflect the question.

dmworken

If a Police Officer ask....

In know in Greendale, they will ask, "Do you have any weapons on you or in your vehicle?" If I do not have any weapons on me or in my car, I will simply say, "No" and leave it at that. Greendale PD has pulled me over about five years ago and had asked that same question. Today, if you do have a weapon on you or in your vehicle and you say "Yes", only then will they ask for your CCL.

As a retired federal officer from the Coast Guard and worked with PD's across the nation, law enforcement ALWAYS treated every stop as though the driver and passenger(s) are armed. It is better to be cautious and alert (yellow zone) than like the sheep most citizens are (white zone). Coast Guard Boarding Officers asked the same quetions to mariners (recrecational and commercial vessels).

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

I don't see why, in the absence of RAS you are required to answer a question about 'any (blah-blah) on board'. If it's a traffic stop and not a flight from a bank robbery (lol), why not just say:

"Am I required to answer that? My attorney told me in traffic stops I'm only required to give license and insurance and not answer any questions."

(in a non-disclosure state, obviously where you have to tell the officer up front)

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Hmm…I could have sworn we’ve been over this quite a few times already.

You are only required to provide CCL and ID when an LEO, acting in his/her official capacity, demands it with lawful authority. A fishing expedition is does not constitute lawful authority.

An LEO can just come up to you and ask for your CCL but it wouldn’t be with any more authority than if I asked you for it.

If an LEO asks if you have any weapons; more especially any concealed weapons, an answer to the affirmative may give him RAS. Never lie but deflect or refuse to answer. It’s really none of their business.

Anyone who reads the forum for a while knows a few good ways to try to find out if RAS exists without giving anything up. If you believe the officer has RAS it’s probably better to inform the LEO of your weapon. Why? Because if the LEO has RAS that you may be carrying a concealed weapon; since it is generally illegal, then it already meets “Terry stop” criteria and you may be frisked for weapons, at which time he may then demand to see your CCL anyway.

Lastly, if you are OC or CC in a place you are allowed to without a license, a request for your license would not have lawful authority.

Last edited:

protias

In know in Greendale, they will ask, "Do you have any weapons on you or in your vehicle?" If I do not have any weapons on me or in my car, I will simply say, "No" and leave it at that. Greendale PD has pulled me over about five years ago and had asked that same question. Today, if you do have a weapon on you or in your vehicle and you say "Yes", only then will they ask for your CCL.

As a retired federal officer from the Coast Guard and worked with PD's across the nation, law enforcement ALWAYS treated every stop as though the driver and passenger(s) were armed. It is better to be cautious and alert (yellow zone) than like the sheep most citizens are (white zone). Coast Guard Boarding Officers asked the same quetions to mariners (recrecational and commercial vessels).

Instead of saying yes or no, you can say you have nothing illegal in the vehicle.

BROKENSPROKET

As a retired federal officer from the Coast Guard and worked with PD's across the nation, law enforcement ALWAYS treated every stop as though the driver and passenger(s) are armed. It is better to be cautious and alert (yellow zone) than like the sheep most citizens are (white zone). Coast Guard Boarding Officers asked the same quetions to mariners (recrecational and commercial vessels).

I have never been asked that question. Not even when I had my handgun case on the dashboard during a trafiic stop.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Instead of saying yes or no, you can say you have nothing illegal in the vehicle.
But what if you do? :uhoh: Seriously, we could run afoul of some law and not even know it. I'd rather politely imply that it's non of his/her business or; if all else fails, use the politician approach. Deflect and redirect. :)

LEO: Do you have any weapons in your vehicle?

Me: Weapons? You know, that's one thing among many that bothers me about the Iraq war; these supposed weapons of mass destruction. Do you know if they ever did find any?

LEO: Uhm, uh, sir; are you carrying a concealed weapon?

Me: You're probably right, if they did have any WMD's they must have concealed them pretty well. Anyway, I've got to get going, it's been nice chatting with you.

:lol:

rcav8r

A better way to put it would be that during a traffic stop, police assume you have a weapon in your hand until they see otherwise. That's why it's recommended you have your hands on the steering wheel when the officer walks up. And your passengers have them in plain sight too (hands, not weapons).

bigdaddy1

Did anyone read the pamphlet that came with their CCL ?

While I have not received mine yet, in the CCL class the instructions were if you are carrying and stopped to provide your CCL with your drivers license and to inform the officer you are armed. If you are not armed there is no reason to provide your CCL. The license is your "permission" to carry a firearm concealed, and if you are not carrying there is no reason to provide proof you have said permissions.