• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-Resident FL Pistol Permit

chuotcon289

I was trying to get non-president permit from FL. I did request and receive fingerprints cards, also have Concealed Weapon or Firearm License Application. Besides, geting my fingerprints taken at law enforcement agency and fill out the form, is there anything else I should to avoid any delay on my application?

Any input is much appreciated.

Have a good day.

JeepSeller

Nope. Just don't forget to include your check for the proper amount, cross all your T's and dot all your I's, and get your application notarized.

The most common delays are as a result of something in your background that may not necessarily be a disqualifying issue, but, they want more information. For example, if you had a misdemeanor 10 years ago, they might want you to obtain a certified copy of the disposition and send it to them. Stuff like that. While they do a background investigation, it appears they don't lift a finger to obtain any corroborating evidence of anything that comes up in that investigation, good or bad.

Basically, in Florida, either you qualify or you don't. Once in awhile, a hitch holds up the works, but, for the most part, you'll get your license. Unfortunately, there's little you can do from out of state to speed up the process.

I always suggest you send it return-receipt certified mail. That doesn't speed anything up, but, at least you don't sit around wondering if they actually got it or not.

OH, and BTW, there's really no such thing as an "out of state" or "non-resident" permit/license in Florida. They issue the same exact license to you that I have in my wallet. They don't even put your address on them anymore. The only thing that makes your license "out of state" is that you reside, out of state. LOL

Last edited:

Jake8x7

Activist Member
I think it's important to point out that Florida issues a Weapons permit and not a Pistol Permit. If you have an out of state pistol permit that Florida recognizes you will not be allowed to carry other weapons like OTF/switchblade knives (excluding "common pocket knives"), double sided daggers, boot/neck last disk knives, throwing knives, brass knuckles, ASP batons, or anything of the sort (from what I understand).

This also means that if you do obtain a FL CWP you will have the privileges spelled out above that you may not be used to having in other states.

Last edited:

Jake8x7

Activist Member
Nope. Just don't forget to include your check for the proper amount, cross all your T's and dot all your I's, and get your application notarized.

The most common delays are as a result of something in your background that may not necessarily be a disqualifying issue, but, they want more information. For example, if you had a misdemeanor 10 years ago, they might want you to obtain a certified copy of the disposition and send it to them. Stuff like that. While they do a background investigation, it appears they don't lift a finger to obtain any corroborating evidence of anything that comes up in that investigation, good or bad.

Basically, in Florida, either you qualify or you don't. Once in awhile, a hitch holds up the works, but, for the most part, you'll get your license. Unfortunately, there's little you can do from out of state to speed up the process.

I always suggest you send it return-receipt certified mail. That doesn't speed anything up, but, at least you don't sit around wondering if they actually got it or not.

OH, and BTW, there's really no such thing as an "out of state" or "non-resident" permit/license in Florida. They issue the same exact license to you that I have in my wallet. They don't even put your address on them anymore. The only thing that makes your license "out of state" is that you reside, out of state. LOL

You're quite correct, but I think the differentiation between resident and non-resident is for the benefit of the permit holder to know which states besides FL accept the permit you hold (there are several states that accept FL resident permits, but not non-resident FL permits).

xmanhockey7

I think it's important to point out that Florida issues a Weapons permit and not a Pistol Permit. If you have an out of state pistol permit that Florida recognizes you will not be allowed to carry other weapons like OTF/switchblade knives (excluding "common pocket knives"), double sided daggers, boot/neck last disk knives, throwing knives, brass knuckles, ASP batons, or anything of the sort (from what I understand).

This also means that if you do obtain a FL CWP you will have the privileges spelled out above that you may not be used to having in other states.

Cite please?

rvrctyrngr

FS 790.15 grants full carry privileges (concealed weapons and/or firearms) to non-residents of a reciprocal state:

[SIZE=-1]790.015 Nonresidents who are United States citizens and hold a concealed weapons license in another state; reciprocity.—(1) Notwithstanding s. 790.01, a resident of the United States who is a nonresident of Florida may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm while in this state if the nonresident a) Is 21 years of age or older; and
(b) Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence.

(2) A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed.

(3) If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by registering to vote, or making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17, or filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state, the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence. This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenseholders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.

[/SIZE]

Last edited: